The Student Room Group

Help with AQA Maths assessment resource question

I am struggling with Question 18 from the maths mechanics assessment resources.
block a of mass 0.2kg lies at rest on a rough plane.
The plane is inclined at an angle θ to the horizontal, such that tanθ= 7/24.
A light inextensible string is attached to A and runs parallel to the line of greatest slope until it passes over a smooth fixed pully at the top of the slope.
The other end of the string is attached to particle B, of mass 2kg, which is held at rest so that the string is taut, as shown in the diagram.

A) B is released from rest so that it begins to move vertically downwards with an acceleration of 543/625ms^-2. Show that the coefficient of friction between A and the inclined plane is 0.17.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
My first word of advise is that you draw a diagram.. Its very hard to answer questions like this without sketching the situation out first.

Perhaps you have already done that?

Then there will be two places to resolve the forces... on the plane and where the string in hanging..... What practice have you had in resolving forces?
Reply 2
Original post by John543219
A light inextensible string is attached to A and runs parallel to the line of greatest slope until it passes over a smooth fixed pully at the top of the slope.
The other end of the string is attached to particle B, of mass 2kg, which is held at rest so that the string is taut, as shown in the diagram.

A) B is released from rest so that it begins to move vertically downwards with an acceleration of 543/625ms^-2. Show that the coefficient of friction between A and the inclined plane is 0.17.

You need to upload some working so that people can see where you're stuck and help you out.

Have you managed to draw the diagram 1st as suggested by the previous poster?
Reply 3
Original post by John543219

Also this looks like the question in this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=95043259&highlight=543

but I think you have mistyped it and missed out the 'g' in the acceleration :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest