The Student Room Group

Macbeth English literature assessment

I have an assessment in for Monday, it’s an old exam question. Read the following extract from act 1 scene 2 of Macbeth and then answer what follows. At this point in the play the Sergeant is relaying information to king Duncan of the battle, we have not yet met Macbeth or Banquo. Starting with this extract explain how far you think Shakespeare presents Macbeth as a hero. How Shakespeare presents Macbeth in this speech, how Shakespeare presents Macbeth in the play as a whole( what you have read so far). So guys it’s a 34 marker and I need to include the last sentence aswell can someone please answer it for me and reply. Needs to be atleast a grade 6 or 7 please it’s really important can anyone help.
ooh this was my mock. my tip for a high grade is make one point and stick to it throughout the essay. So, a good intro would be
Shakespeare presents Macbeth at a violent character through his murderous actions. In Act One Scene Two, our first impression of Macbeth is him committing an excessively violent act, which provides an undertone for the rest of the play. However, this action is for the good of the country in warfare, but throughout the play we see Macbeth's violent powers get ruined by his egotistical desires, the catalyst for which is the murder of Duncan. In this essay, I will discuss this shift, and how through violence Macbeth transforms from 'brave' in Act one to 'fiend of Scotland in Act five.'

Then you discuss in three separate paragraphs
- 'valour's minion' - shows that Macbeth's actions were perceived to be brave, link this to later in the play when he is perceived to be a cowardly tyrant or scared, his collapsing mental state
- “which smoked with bloody execution,” may be a bit of poetic license on the part of the Captain. Alternatively, it could reflect the dank Scottish air meeting the warm blood of those executed on the battlefield. Either way, it foreshadows the “executions” Macbeth will commit later in the play.
- 'unseamed him from nave to chaps and fixed his head upon our battlements.' This shows Macbeth's excessive violence, as such violence in battle wasn't common, even by the violence of the times. This suggests that Macbeth is naturally violent, and that it's his way of excelling in life. The gruesome description is deliberately unsettling: Shakespeare introduces our “hero” as a blood-soaked killer, foreshadowing later events in the play.

Then you pick two more instances when Macbeth was violent
- 'Macbeth does murder sleep.' (Macbeth 2,2) Comes back from murdering Duncan on himself, highlights the effects of his violence on others and himself as sleeplessness is torture and propels his paranoia which drives him to kill others. You could insert how raw the idea of killing a king is as the play was written straight after the gunpowder plot.
- 'My murderous thoughts' - (Macbeth 5,5) Macbeth is driven by violence and highlights his transformation throughout the play. Now he is tyrannical, and a prisoner of his own mind while in 1,2 he is described as being brave.

then conclusuin

Keep linking back to the initial point you make in the intro and make reference to context, and you'll be fine.
Original post by rebecca-lol
ooh this was my mock. my tip for a high grade is make one point and stick to it throughout the essay. So, a good intro would be
Shakespeare presents Macbeth at a violent character through his murderous actions. In Act One Scene Two, our first impression of Macbeth is him committing an excessively violent act, which provides an undertone for the rest of the play. However, this action is for the good of the country in warfare, but throughout the play we see Macbeth's violent powers get ruined by his egotistical desires, the catalyst for which is the murder of Duncan. In this essay, I will discuss this shift, and how through violence Macbeth transforms from 'brave' in Act one to 'fiend of Scotland in Act five.'

- 'valour's minion' - shows that Macbeth's actions were perceived to be brave, link this to later in the play when he is perceived to be a cowardly tyrant or scared, his collapsing mental state
- “which smoked with bloody execution,” may be a bit of poetic license on the part of the Captain. Alternatively, it could reflect the dank Scottish air meeting the warm blood of those executed on the battlefield. Either way, it foreshadows the “executions” Macbeth will commit later in the play.
- 'unseamed him from nave to chaps and fixed his head upon our battlements.' This shows Macbeth's excessive violence, as such violence in battle wasn't common, even by the violence of the times. This suggests that Macbeth is naturally violent, and that it's his way of excelling in life. The gruesome description is deliberately unsettling: Shakespeare introduces our “hero” as a blood-soaked killer, foreshadowing later events in the play.

- 'Macbeth does murder sleep.' (Macbeth 2,2) Comes back from murdering Duncan on himself, highlights the effects of his violence on others and himself as sleeplessness is torture and propels his paranoia which drives him to kill others. You could insert how raw the idea of killing a king is as the play was written straight after the gunpowder plot.
- 'My murderous thoughts' - (Macbeth 5,5) Macbeth is driven by violence and highlights his transformation throughout the play. Now he is tyrannical, and a prisoner of his own mind while in 1,2 he is described as being brave.

then conclusuin

Keep linking back to the initial point you make in the intro and make reference to context, and you'll be fine.

Thanks that’s helped a lot!
Original post by rebecca-lol

then conclusuin

I have this for my mock in a few days and i’m just wondering if i should use quotes in my intro or not?
Reply 4
Original post by sks_kaur
I have this for my mock in a few days and i’m just wondering if i should use quotes in my intro or not?

hey so my teacher has a list of non-negotiables (stuff that must be included) for writing the perfect introduction so thought I would share:

Genre: a category of literature
Viewpoint: who is telling the story? Whose perspective do we see events from?
Structure: how has the text been put together?
AO3: social and historical context
Intention: what is the writer trying to achieve with their text?
Anchor to question: Refer to the question. Make a point that answers it.

try to remember these whilst writing your introduction and as for your question about including quotes in the intro I don't think its necessary so the only time I would use them would be to support my opinion/ argument and I'd do it as an embedded quote

hope this helps!
I aint gonna answer the question for you il just help u a bit.
introduction- what you are writing about
main bit- use quotes but not too much: for example dont put Lady Mcbeth says "unsex me here" and this shows that (continue of your own accord) but put Lady Macbeth says she wants to be "unsexed". Baisically what Im saying is don;t use quotes because you have to but use it to support your answer.
conclusion- why is this important

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending