The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh vs University of Sussex

Actually, I got an offer from the University of Edinburgh yesterday but then I had already accepted my offer from Sussex. Now I'm confused between the two. I feel like in Edinburgh, it will be very hard for me to adjust given the fact that it is such a highly reputed University in the UK. But then again.. it's Edinburgh we are talking about. I would also like to mention that my course is on English Literature. And Edinburgh is currently ranked 7th(in English) whereas Sussex is ranked 64th. I'm in dilemma right now. If I go for Sussex as I had already planned, will I regret it? Will it be a mistake to reject Edinburgh and go for Sussex? Please kindly tell me your opinions regarding this matter!
Go with Edinburgh, you might regret going to Sussex. Edinburgh is highly regarded by anyone in the world, sussex isn't
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Consider the reasons you were happy to accept Sussex in the first place. Rankings really aren't everything. Only you can decide which university is better for you, and I'd advise that there are far better criteria with which to make that decision than just rankings. Look at the course content and which you prefer, look at the areas where the unis are, look at prices, etc. Don't make the decisions for your future based on something as meaningless as university rankings - the main ranking that should interest you is student satisfaction.
Original post by Luhenbi
Actually, I got an offer from the University of Edinburgh yesterday but then I had already accepted my offer from Sussex. Now I'm confused between the two. I feel like in Edinburgh, it will be very hard for me to adjust given the fact that it is such a highly reputed University in the UK. But then again.. it's Edinburgh we are talking about. I would also like to mention that my course is on English Literature. And Edinburgh is currently ranked 7th(in English) whereas Sussex is ranked 64th. I'm in dilemma right now. If I go for Sussex as I had already planned, will I regret it? Will it be a mistake to reject Edinburgh and go for Sussex? Please kindly tell me your opinions regarding this matter!

Hello @Luhenbi,

I understand that university rankings play an important role in choosing which university to go to.

I have found that focusing on the course content and whether the course is properly accredited is more important than looking at the overall rankings, as the rankings can fluctuate a lot and there are numerous factors that come into play.

You may be disappointed if you choose a university sorely off of university rankings, and find out later that the rankings have gone down when you graduate. I would advise you to look at the course content and choose a university where you will enjoy spending 3+ years of your time. If you are enjoying university life, you will probably perform better in return as you are more motivated.

For more information about the course, please visit English BA (Hons).
You can also chat with one of our students on the UniBuddy chat platform to hear their experiences about studying at Sussex and ask questions regarding the course.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please let me know!

Kind Regards,
Erica
(3rd Year BSc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending