The Student Room Group

700 calories a day? Some advice please

I currently weigh 64kg and I would like to bring that down to 50 kg.
I am thinking of going on a diet where I eat only 714cal a day.

At around 9am - I drink a slim fast milkshake and a glass of water.
11am-12 pm: A cereal bar (97cal) and a glass of water. [cranberry cereal bars from lidl called muesli bars]
1-2 pm: Another slim fast milkshake and a glass of water.
4-5pm: A cereal bar (97cal) and a glass of water. [cranberry cereal bars from lidl called muesli bars]
7-8 pm: A bowl of vegetable soup mixed veg, homemade and a glass of water (apporx 60 cal)
finally 8-9 pm: another glass of water.

I am thinking of doing this 6 times a week unitl Christmas and once a week a cheat day where I eat anything I want but I wont over indulge.
I also take multivitamin tablets, omega 3 fish oil, and vitamin d everyday.

Does this diet sound healthy?
I want to follow this consistently until Christmas. I think By December, my weight will be at 50kg

Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also, I haven't consulted a doctor about this yet.
Very low calorie diets (under about 1000 cal) should be supervised by a doctor to ensure they're nutritionally complete. Even then, I've never heard of it going below 800 cal.

You could cause yourself malnutrition, gallstones, hair loss, fatigue and many other side effects, including very serious ones.

You're also less likely to keep the weight off long term if you lose it through this type of crash dieting. Consistent lifestyle changes that you can keep up are more sustainable, and much safer.
Reply 3
Original post by starmoney

11am-12 pm: A cereal bar (97cal) and a glass of water. [cranberry cereal bars from lidl called muesli bars]
4-5pm: A cereal bar (97cal) and a glass of water. [cranberry cereal bars from lidl called muesli bars]
7-8 pm: A bowl of vegetable soup mixed veg, homemade and a glass of water (apporx 60 cal)

I am thinking of doing this 6 times a week unitl Christmas and once a week a cheat day where I eat anything I want but I wont over indulge.

I want to follow this consistently until Christmas. I think By December, my weight will be at 50kg

Thanks

Please do not do this.

At rest, your body burns approx 1200 calories. When I say 'at rest', that means just lying in bed not moving. You need to be consuming around 2000 calories a day.

Not only this, but 50kg would be underweight at most heights. Obviously I do not know how tall you are, but likelihood is you would not be healthy at 50kg.

It is really important that you eat a balanced diet, and this means fruits, veg, carbs, protein etc. Not slim fast shakes and muesli bars. It is more important that you eat well everyday rather than allowing one day of normal eating, putting you at risk of binging.

I am not a nutrition student, but I am interested in fitness and have had experience with eating disorders.

If you want to lose weight, you are far better off doing this in a healthy way. A lot of this will be about exercise: maybe go on walks every day, start jogging a few times a week, go swimming, join a gym, that kind of thing. Whilst you do this, eat a healthy and balanced diet with lots of vegetables and protein. It may be worth talking to your GP or a nutritionist about what would be a good diet plan for you. You could also think about reducing portion sizes.

I do not know your situation. I don't know your height or age or situation. But reducing to 700 calories a day is not viable and is actually incredibly dangerous. If you want to lose weight, there are healthy ways of doing this which will also give you more long-term benefits.
No it is not healthy.
Reply 5
Is there a reason you need to be 50kg by christmas?
@starmoney - did you do this rather extreme diet or what?
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
@starmoney - did you do this rather extreme diet or what?

Original post by bmgets
Is there a reason you need to be 50kg by christmas?

My lazy arse hasn't started yet.
And I just want to look slimmer so Christmas is the deadline,
Reply 8
you sound like a man? isn't 50kg way to low for a guy. and if you're a girl, how tall are you?
Original post by kayinda
you sound like a man? isn't 50kg way to low for a guy. and if you're a girl, how tall are you?

Her profile says female
My lazy arse hasn't started yet.
And I just want to look slimmer so Christmas is the deadline,

How's your weight now? Anyway, don't end up with disordered eating, you'll end up iron deficient and with brain fog.
I wouldn't recommend anyone aim for a maximum daily calorie restriction of 700 calories a day for the purpose of losing weight.
Are you aiming to lose weight to get visible abs, change your body shape, reduce your bmi range or body fat %?

My usual daily calorie restriction range is between 750-950 calories, has been for years.
I've always weighed less than 49kg, I eat twice a day and most of my meals are homecooked from scratch.
Reply 12
Original post by kayinda

I'm a girl 163.5cm
Reply 13
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
How's your weight now? Anyway, don't end up with disordered eating, you'll end up iron deficient and with brain fog.

Yh I am worried about this! Thanks for replying
Reply 14

Thanks

loosing weight if you are not concerned about muscle loss is pretty easy.

just eat normally one day, then the next day drink plenty of water but don't eat anything, then the next 2 days eat normally, then the next day eat nothing and drink plenty of water, then the next 2 days eat normally .....and you should lose around a pound a week.

the hunger from not eating for one day will be hard at first ...but after a while it will pretty much vanish as your body gets used it, or at least lesson a great deal.
(edited 2 years ago)
This is pointless because when Xmas comes and you start eating normally again you will just put the weight back on. You need to just change your eating habits and do exercise so that you can have more sustainable habits that will make your weight loss last as long as you want
Reply 16
Original post by Aliyah1981
This is pointless because when Xmas comes and you start eating normally again you will just put the weight back on. You need to just change your eating habits and do exercise so that you can have more sustainable habits that will make your weight loss last as long as you want

I dont celebrate christmas
This is neither a sustainable nor healthy diet. For reference the Minnesota Stavation Experiment gave grown adult men a strict diet of 1500 calories a day and in the process the men developed temporary psychosis and cognitive dysfunction due to the extremely low caloric intake - one of them cut his own finger off, but couldn't remember how or why.

Your proposed diet is less than half this caloric intake - also young adults (which you probably are younger than the men in that experiment) require more calories, not less, than adults, to support their bodies growth.

So it's both dangerous to your health, and it's not something you will ever be able to sustain long term. I would recommend you discuss with your GP sustainable long term options for weight loss if that is your goal.
(edited 2 years ago)

No
I dont celebrate christmas

What’s that got to do with it? You said that’s your timeline so I’m saying when Xmas comes and you revert to normal eating again you will just put weight back on

Quick Reply

Latest