The Student Room Group

700 calories a day? Some advice please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aliyah1981
What’s that got to do with it? You said that’s your timeline so I’m saying when Xmas comes and you revert to normal eating again you will just put weight back on

I never said I am going to eat normally after Christmas. Christmas, December time, is just a deadline. I will just not be on a strict diet and will eat food to maintain my weight
Reply 21
Original post by artful_lounger
This is neither a sustainable nor healthy diet. For reference the Minnesota Stavation Experiment gave grown adult men a strict diet of 1500 calories a day and in the process the men developed temporary psychosis and cognitive dysfunction due to the extremely low caloric intake - one of them cut his own finger off, but couldn't remember how or why.

Your proposed diet is less than half this caloric intake - also young adults (which you probably are younger than the men in that experiment) require more calories, not less, than adults, to support their bodies growth.

So it's both dangerous to your health, and it's not something you will ever be able to sustain long term. I would recommend you discuss with your GP sustainable long term options for weight loss if that is your goal.

1500 calories a day is not an "extremely low calorie" intake.
that study is broken.

my fitness app says i should be consuming 1750 calories a day to maintain my bodyweight and i am a 5ft 10 male weighing 170lbs

some of these recommended calorie intakes you see plastered around the net are just bogus. like a man should eat 2500 calories a day. if i did that i'd get fat for sure.......

the average man (unless he's doing very strenuous exercise throughout the day) does not need 2500 calories.
no wonder most people are overweight/obese.. 🙄
Original post by ANM775
that study is broken.

my fitness app says i should be consuming 1750 calories a day to maintain my bodyweight and i am a 5ft 10 male weighing 170lbs

some of these recommended calorie intakes you see plastered around the net are just bogus. like a man should eat 2500 calories a day. if i did that i'd get fat for sure.......

the average man (unless he's doing very strenuous exercise throughout the day) does not need 2500 calories.

I'm sure that you, random person on the internet, knows more than all the scientists, physicians, and psychologists who organised the experiment to explore the effects of famine on people which has been a major study that also is supported by more recent studies into those with eating disorders.

By all means though, submit your thoughts to a peer reviewed journal. I'd really like it if you posted the reply you get to them on here as well :h:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by starmoney
I currently weigh 64kg and I would like to bring that down to 50 kg.
I am thinking of going on a diet where I eat only 714cal a day.

At around 9am - I drink a slim fast milkshake and a glass of water.
11am-12 pm: A cereal bar (97cal) and a glass of water. [cranberry cereal bars from lidl called muesli bars]
1-2 pm: Another slim fast milkshake and a glass of water.
4-5pm: A cereal bar (97cal) and a glass of water. [cranberry cereal bars from lidl called muesli bars]
7-8 pm: A bowl of vegetable soup mixed veg, homemade and a glass of water (apporx 60 cal)
finally 8-9 pm: another glass of water.

I am thinking of doing this 6 times a week unitl Christmas and once a week a cheat day where I eat anything I want but I wont over indulge.
I also take multivitamin tablets, omega 3 fish oil, and vitamin d everyday.

Does this diet sound healthy?
I want to follow this consistently until Christmas. I think By December, my weight will be at 50kg

Thanks

If you did this over an extended period is woud kill you and initially you'd lose no weight because your body would go into starvation mode, which I'm sure would be frustrating. You don't need to be consuming so few calories, just eat plenty of veg and protien and work out 3-4 times a week (I recommend splitting that time between cardio and weights). It's unsustainable and once you returned to whatever routine/diet you were doing before, you'd just put everything back on and end up in a vicious cycle of extreme dieting and binging. Try to change your lifestyle gradually too, it's more realistic to change smaller aspects of your diet gradually than change everything at once, which will shock your system and no doubt make you miserable. All you really need to do is be in a calorie deficit, which is what you've suggested, but not by so much. As long as you're consuming fewer calories than you're burning, you can lose weight/build muscle without endangering your health. Good luck with whatever you try!
Reply 24
I'm sure that you, random person on the internet, knows more than all the scientists, physicians, and psychologists who organised the experiment to explore the effects of famine on people which has been a major study that also is supported by more recent studies into those with eating disorders.

By all means though, submit your thoughts to a peer reviewed journal. I'd really like it if you posted the reply you get to them on here as well :h:

Just lol @ 1500 calories a day being seen as famine

Is this how glutenous a society we've become?

sad.....
I never said I am going to eat normally after Christmas. Christmas, December time, is just a deadline. I will just not be on a strict diet and will eat food to maintain my weight

Yeah and I replied to that - I’m not going to repeat myself again because already you’re draining me 🙄

11am-12 pm: A cereal bar (97cal) and a glass of water. [cranberry cereal bars from lidl called muesli bars]
4-5pm: A cereal bar (97cal) and a glass of water. [cranberry cereal bars from lidl called muesli bars]
7-8 pm: A bowl of vegetable soup mixed veg, homemade and a glass of water (apporx 60 cal)

I am thinking of doing this 6 times a week unitl Christmas and once a week a cheat day where I eat anything I want but I wont over indulge.

I want to follow this consistently until Christmas. I think By December, my weight will be at 50kg

Thanks

Trust me, you do not want to be anywhere near 50kg or worse, under it. We're around the same height and it's just a horrible place to be, you won't look just slim you'll look flimsy and feel weak. It's strange how someone is dedicated to achieving something I'm trying to get away from -.- I'm also surprised that it can take that long to lose weight, I'm clearly disillusioned by my own f/cked up experiences
55kg is good enough if you wanna look slim and still exist lol

Original post by ANM775
that study is broken.

From memory, the participants in the Minnesota Starvation experiment ran or walked around 20 miles each day, so they would have been in a large calorie deficit.

In fairness to ANM775, your post is rather misleading.
Original post by glassalice
From memory, the participants in the Minnesota Starvation experiment ran or walked around 20 miles each day, so they would have been in a large calorie deficit.

In fairness to ANM775, your post is rather misleading.

They were required to walk 22 miles per week, not per day. This is about 3 miles a day which is a fairly typical walking commute, plus some extra walking around to do things here and there, which for a lot of people is pretty standard daily activity.
(edited 2 years ago)

Thanks

Hi please please please don't do this. It's incredibly dangerous - not just concerning the potential physical effects it would have on your body but also mentally too. If you would like to lose weight (I am not a registered dietician or doctor, this is just from my personal experience), I would advise you to eat your standard 3 meals (with lots of vegetables and sufficient protein incorporated) and to obviously hydrate, and also not to restrict or label any foods as 'good' and 'bad' (as from my experience, this led me to suffer from many eating disorders, which I can assure you, is not fun. Also maybe have a look at 'intuituive eating' or the 80/20 diet perhaps, as that focuses more on mindful eating and listening to what your body needs. But please remember to be kind to yourself, and I'm pretty sure 64kg is a healthy weight so you really don't need to lose any for health reasons
Please do not do this it doesnt sound healthy

Quick Reply

Latest