The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Can you do any subject combo as joint honours?

I am massively confused about the whole Scottish degree system. I understand that you can take credits outside your official degree and potentially transfer into a different degree later, but I don't get whether you can do a joint honours in any combination or just official ones that the university offers.

I'm looking at doing Physics and/with Philosophy, but I can't see any mention of this on their website. With the flexible 4 year system, I assumed this would be an easy combination to make as it's a recognised degree at other universities, so it's not like it's unique.

Does anyone understand how it works? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
See the actual degree programmes: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/20-21/dpt/drps_phy.htm

You should be able to take modules as prescribed on the relevant programmes there (it's likely to be similar year on year, although individual module options may vary for non-core modules). It will say if you are permitted to take modules outside of your area at a given stage; I imagine this is not possible from honours years onwards.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by artful_lounger
See the actual degree programmes: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/20-21/dpt/drps_phy.htm

You should be able to take modules as prescribed on the relevant programmes there (it's likely to be similar year on year, although individual module options may vary for non-core modules). It will say if you are permitted to take modules outside of your area at a given stage; I imagine this is not possible from honours years onwards.

Ah thank you! I was also really struggling to make my way around the website (uni websites confuse me far more than they should!) but that makes a lot more sense now.

I guess the flexibility in the scottish system is basically the flexibility I was looking for in a Physics with... degree anyway so I think the lack of degree title shouldn't matter too much. I will look into when you can stop taking honours modules - again, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending