The Student Room Group

Weekly hours for a part-time masters?

So I've just received my final grade back from uni, I'm officially done with the work and my course officially ends on the 18th June. I'll be starting a part-time masters at the university of Manchester in September (politics, if that makes a difference).

Today my partner received a letter asking if I was still a student and if not, he would begin being charged the full council tax price. I'm not sure whether I'd be counted as a student as I'm only part-time now, also would I be counted as a student over summer despite not technically being enrolled at either my old uni or my new one?

When we go on our council website it asks us whether I'm a student (I checked yes as they didn't specify full-time), then it asks if I'm going to be studying for 12 or more hours a week. I have no clue tbh, I've looked it up and opinions differ drastically on how much work I'd be doing and the course itself doesn't state it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by hereforthefood
So I've just received my final grade back from uni, I'm officially done with the work and my course officially ends on the 18th June. I'll be starting a part-time masters at the university of Manchester in September (politics, if that makes a difference).

Today my partner received a letter asking if I was still a student and if not, he would begin being charged the full council tax price. I'm not sure whether I'd be counted as a student as I'm only part-time now, also would I be counted as a student over summer despite not technically being enrolled at either my old uni or my new one?

When we go on our council website it asks us whether I'm a student (I checked yes as they didn't specify full-time), then it asks if I'm going to be studying for 12 or more hours a week. I have no clue tbh, I've looked it up and opinions differ drastically on how much work I'd be doing and the course itself doesn't state it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Usually they will require a letter from the university confirming the hours of study. It really depends how the uni itself calculates the course, it should be 50% of the full time hours, so 15-20, depending what they expect from full-timers. But contact the uni and find out what they say before working out how to tackle the Council. Hopefully the uni will provide a letter saying 16 hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending