The Student Room Group

How to live a life without videogames?

My only current hobby I have is videogames (which I don't enjoy doing anymore, its habitual now.) I have a job so I can afford to do stuff.

I used to have friends but don't anymore and am really stuck on what to do.

My town is rural with very few activities going on (especially during this pseudo-lockdown.)

On occasion I will go hiking or bike-riding, but I need something with progression/long-term use.

What should I do?
(edited 2 years ago)
throw away the console and you'll naturally find something to do in that time.
Original post by Anonymous
throw away the console and you'll naturally find something to do in that time.

I have had that excat thought before. Specifically it was when I decided to not use any internet for a day. I ended up going on a long hike and visiting some nearby stores.

I figured that I would be forced to find something else to fill my time and it worked although I need to pick up a new skill for it to be sustainable. I need something to replace gaming (at least for a while until I get used to it.)
Set yourself a specific hiking challenge that currently seems insurmountable. Idk what the criteria are for hiking (Distance? Elevation? Duration?) Challenges that are framed by a concept are quite motivating and reward persistence , e.g. ‘all of the x that are x within an x mile radius’.
Original post by ReturnOfDontKnow
I have had that excat thought before. Specifically it was when I decided to not use any internet for a day. I ended up going on a long hike and visiting some nearby stores.

I figured that I would be forced to find something else to fill my time and it worked although I need to pick up a new skill for it to be sustainable. I need something to replace gaming (at least for a while until I get used to it.)

I was addicted to PS4 from age 12 - 15, I sold my console and my uncle bought me some dumbbells. I also got a skateboard. At 16 got my first gym membership. 18 now and never have urges to play video games, always find something else to do. Even at friends, the only types of games which interest me are very casual 1v1 games like Mortal Kombat. Nothing too deep or time consuming.

Lockdown was hard as I've had to find other things to do and found myself using the computer a lot more, but when everywhere is open again I plan to cut all this out too. You can do it friend, but unless you know what you're going to replace it with then it's best to hold off as you don't want to replace one bad habit with another.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Set yourself a specific hiking challenge that currently seems insurmountable. Idk what the criteria are for hiking (Distance? Elevation? Duration?) Challenges that are framed by a concept are quite motivating and reward persistence , e.g. ‘all of the x that are x within an x mile radius’.

Great idea, setting high goals gives me something to work at each-day.
Original post by Anonymous
I was addicted to PS4 from age 12 - 15, I sold my console and my uncle bought me some dumbbells. I also got a skateboard. At 16 got my first gym membership. 18 now and never have urges to play video games, always find something else to do. Even at friends, the only types of games which interest me are very casual 1v1 games like Mortal Kombat. Nothing too deep or time consuming.

Lockdown was hard as I've had to find other things to do and found myself using the computer a lot more, but when everywhere is open again I plan to cut all this out too. You can do it friend, but unless you know what you're going to replace it with then it's best to hold off as you don't want to replace one bad habit with another.

I'm getting paid very soon and will be able to fund an entirely new hobby. So by early July I could theoratically quit video games then.
Reply 7
I used to game a LOT. When it stopped being fun I started trying out some "traditional" hobbies... I eventually found a really niche interest (miniatures).
Maybe try some traditional hobbies, like drawing/painting, reading/writing, coding, learning a language etc.
If you're still interested in video games, just not gaming then maybe you could try something like 2D/3D digital art, character design, animation?
Coursera has some really good online courses, or there might be something you like on Airbnb Online Experiences/Eventbrite online

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending