The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

London to Edinburgh travel?

How much of a task is it to get from Edinburgh to either London or somewhere like Southampton? I'm in y12 right now, live in the south of England, and I'm considering applying for Edinburgh and/or Glasgow. Does anyone have experience getting to those unis from the London area, or even just to Scotland in general? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply 1
Original post by Jaegis
How much of a task is it to get from Edinburgh to either London or somewhere like Southampton? I'm in y12 right now, live in the south of England, and I'm considering applying for Edinburgh and/or Glasgow. Does anyone have experience getting to those unis from the London area, or even just to Scotland in general? Thanks in advance for any advice!

There would be various options, depending on cost and where you live in the South.

For bargain travel, there is the National Express Coach. Somewhat more expensive is a train ticket with a Student Card discount. If you judge it properly and probably book in advance, you may be able to fly.

Where is your nearest town?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Kerzen
There would be various options, depending on cost and where you live in the South.

For bargain travel, there is the National Express Coach. Somewhat more expensive is a train ticket with a Student Card discount. If you judge it properly and probably book in advance, you may be able to fly.

Where is your nearest town?

Depends on what you mean by "town." Nearest big town is probably Basingstoke. My town is on the line from Portsmouth to London, so about an hour, hour and a half away from London by train. The drive to London is a bit longer, probably an hour and a half if the traffic's decent. Southampton and its airport is just under an hour's drive, just over an hour by train.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Jaegis
Depends on what you mean by "town." Nearest big town is probably Basingstoke. My town is on the line from Portsmouth to London, so about an hour, hour and a half away from London by train. The drive to London is a bit longer, probably an hour and a half if the traffic's decent. Southampton and its airport is just under an hour's drive, just over an hour by train.

Heathrow is probably not far.

It depends in a way on your budget and whether you have someone who can take you to the airport.

If you knew your term dates in advance, you could book flights from Heathrow to Edinburgh/Glasgow. The same applies to the train, using the Trainline website and your student railcard you could book good prices in advance. (Travelling to Waterloo, Northern Line to Euston, train to Edinburgh). For a bargain price, coach from Victoria Coach Station.

There are quite a few students from the South of England at Edinburgh University, by the way. Getting there and back is a well trodden path, your method of travel will depend on your budget.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Just to add that you might mix and match with your travel. You might want to treat yourself to a flight (booked early) to get home before Christmas and go back after. For your June/July - September/October journeys, you might go for early booked train journeys instead, if only for the pleasure of the slow journeys gazing out of the window as the countryside passes by

As I said, this is entirely dependent on budget. You can do these journeys via coach for a bargain price if that suits you better.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Kerzen
Just to add that you might mix and match with your travel. You might want to treat yourself to a flight (booked early) to get home before Christmas and go back after. For your June/July - September/October journeys, you might go for early booked train journeys instead, if only for the pleasure of the slow journeys gazing out of the window as the countryside passes by

As I said, this is entirely dependent on budget. You can do these journeys via coach for a bargain price if that suits you better.

Wow, thank you for all the advice! It's good to start thinking about this stuff, even if it's just a possibility. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending