The Student Room Group

PGCE Primary: Brunel or Roehampton?

I got a conditional offer for both universities. However I'm torn between which one to choose.

Which one is better in terms of employment & the course itself? Also if you were a student in both of those universities, how were your experiences there?
Original post by sunshine97
I got a conditional offer for both universities. However I'm torn between which one to choose.

Which one is better in terms of employment & the course itself? Also if you were a student in both of those universities, how were your experiences there?

Hi sunshine97,

Firstly, congratulations on both of your offers!

Roehampton is one of the UK’s leading and longest-running providers of teacher education. You can learn more about our PGCE course on our website, https://www.roehampton.ac.uk/postgraduate-courses/pgce-primary/, here you can find out more about the specific modules your course will include, some career options to consider, and more information about the course that will be useful for you to know!

As a former Media student at Roehampton, I loved my time here. The campus is beautiful and the community spirit it provides is really unique. Also, central London is very accessible via train and bus routes - great for the occasional day out in the city! Here is a link to our YouTube channel, we have lots of videos about our campus, our students and our wider community which may help you in making your decision: https://youtu.be/HFbn-TqEPhc

I wish you all the best in your decision making, if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help! :smile:

Best, Greg - Social Media Team

Hello @sunshine97

Congratulations and WELL DONE on your two offers. Both providers are really excellent and so it will come down to your personal values and ethos as to which is best for you. Consider the answers to the following to help you decide which provider will offer you the support and experience that will best suit your needs. (If you need to contact the providers to get the answers, then DO!)

Academic Study
- What are the PGCE/PGDE assignments and what are the deadlines for them?

Course Structure
- When does the course start and finish?
- What does the year look like (what proportion is placements vs self-study days)?
- Will you be required to attend the University setting, if so, how often and when?
- How many other students will be on the course?
- What proportion of trainees complete the course?

Teaching Practice Placements
- How are the two or more teaching practice placements decided?
- What sort of distance might you be expected to commute?
- How long are each teaching practice placements and where are they likely to be?
- Are beginner teachers placed in a school with at least one other trainee, or are they usually placed alone?
- What will the expectations for meetings/INSET/open or parent’s evenings be during placements?
- Who would be my mentor during my course? How often will they be available to me? How experienced are they?

Opportunities offered
- What opportunities will there to be to work with children with Additional Needs or Disability, English as an Additional Language or those who are Gifted and Talented?
- Are there opportunities for experiencing an Early Years or alternative educational setting too?
- What opportunities will there be to participate in extra-curricular activities?

I hope you enjoy every second of your training and love being a teacher!

Jane
Reply 3

Hi there, just wanted to ask what uni did you decide to go to? And if you could please explain what you did for the brunel interview. thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending