The Student Room Group

Please help

I was lucky enough to get an offer from Oxford for a 4 year MBiol Biology degree. I wasn’t planning on applying, and I decided to very quickly one morning whilst thinking ‘why not’.

Though there were parts of the course I didn’t love, I just ignored this, stupidly thinking I should just go for the course I have the best chance of getting in for. I already had a personal statement ready for biology so that’s what I went with.

Since then, my outlook has changed a lot. I’ve seen some example essay titles people write on my course and the reality of the course content has hit me. Right now I can’t see myself getting through a degree and reading so much about topics that really don’t interest me much more than anything else.

Human Sciences seems to be a course that fits my interests much more. I don’t think about animals/plants in my spare time. But when I looked at the course content for human sciences it was like I found all the topics I actually go out of my way to learn about, all together on one course.

So now I’m panicking. I accepted my Oxford offer and my insurance is for a similar course, plus my college at oxford doesn’t offer Human Sciences.

Would changing course be possible for this year? I’d have to apply to another college which I’ve heard makes everything harder. Could I try and switch after trying out my biology course for a bit?

Thanks for any responses.
Why don't you try contacting your college to gauge your options? It's not like they'll rescind your offer for not being passionate enough or something, worst case scenario they'll tell you it's not possible and you'll have to reapply next year to change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending