The Student Room Group

Building a shed

Can I place a shed (installed by a builder) on my flat concrete slabs, or do I need a different surface
I think you can
You can always ask your builder for advice
Or whoever you are buying the shed from!
For domestic sheds slabs are a decent enough surface, but it depends what the slabs are laid on... levelled and compacted loose aggregate/sand (stable) or 'dirt' (not stable) and it also depends if the slabs are merely placed (allows easy drainage) or bound in place.(does not)

You might find that shed installers/builders won't work with a base they didn't lay, or they won't guarantee their work on top of home made bases.

This is the shed just for a bit of quiet study right? For that same £800 or whatever, i'd maybe look at a cheap caravan?... it would have all the facilities you'd want, comfort, lighting, power, water... and when you were done with it you could sell it on to someone else...
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
This is the shed just for a bit of quiet study right? For that same £800 or whatever, i'd maybe look at a cheap caravan?... it would have all the facilities you'd want, comfort, lighting, power, water... and when you were done with it you could sell it on to someone else...

A shed is a terrible idea if that's what they're wanting to use it for.
Original post by IWMTom
A shed is a terrible idea if that's what they're wanting to use it for.

I already told them the first thing the rest of their family will say is 'ooh a new summer house' :rolleyes:

Assuming of course they don't mean buying the cheapest possible windowless shiplap wooden box that you would rapidly cook to death in and likely form a pretty horrible environment to study in :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
Assuming of course they don't mean buying the cheapest possible windowless shiplap wooden box that you would rapidly cook to death in and likely form a pretty horrible environment to study in :tongue:

That's exactly what they're planning on buying and that's exactly what it'll do.
Reply 6
Depends on the shed and the slabs. For a standard garden shed level slabs a good option and easier than making a concrete base. Get some advice from the builder

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending