The Student Room Group

Did it seem like we didn’t give a **** with this collegue ?

It was my collegues/line managers birthday (40th) 3 days ago I’ve worked with him for years it’s a very small team and I suppose the culture when our old manager was there was to buy a card/small gift for birthdays. Since he’s took over I’m the only female- not to be sexist but I think men don’t tend to be too bothered about cards in general. I’m not either though

I forgot it was his birthday when he told me it was the next day I just said ‘oh you should have said, we’ve not got you anything’ he just muttered ‘it’s ok’. I said ‘we’l buy you your dinner next week’ he said ‘oh right’ quietly and laughed a bit.

I bought his lunch that day but secretly felt a bit tight so got him a small box of hero’s and said it’s from ste (our other collegue) and me. He said ‘ste contributed half towards this did he’. (he prob knew that he hadn’t as it’s known ste doesn’t tend to contribute to things) I replied ‘well he will do’

The next day I wished him happy birthday at the end of an email about something else and he said he appreciates the chocolates.

Ive just felt bad since as he is leaving soon too do you think it seemed like we don’t give a ****? With us not giving him a card and it being very last min etc

Everyone perceives gifts etc on birthdays very differently
Nah it's fine, at least you still did something for him. It's the thought that counts!
Reply 2
thanks^
I don’t think you should feel bad. Are you going to get him a leaving present? You could club together and get him something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending