The Student Room Group

What do you do when you miss a train in UK?

I’m talking about the Uk railway. I’ve missed so many trains because I’m late and end up buying new tickets. So much money wasted. What do you do?
Reply 1
I buy non-train-specific tickets if I'm not sure I'll make a particular train, train-specific ones can be much cheaper but obviously not if you keep missing the trains!
Original post by Interea
I buy non-train-specific tickets if I'm not sure I'll make a particular train, train-specific ones can be much cheaper but obviously not if you keep missing the trains!

This. If I miss my train because my previous train came in late etc., usually I inform the train manager on the new train and I've been lucky to have them be very understanding in the past.

If you simply miss the train because you are running late, then I don't think they'll be so charitable.
Reply 3
Original post by Interea

Will definitely think about this. I’ve spent so much on train tickets😭
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Will definitely think about this. I’ve spent so much on train tickets😭

If you have some flexibility in time of day that you travel then off-peak return tickets can still be pretty cheap, but if you do want to save money with fixed train tickets then I would recommend turning up to the train station with at least 10 minutes to spare before your train :tongue: Saying this as someone who sprinted for their train to school at least 3 days a week, it saves a lot of stress!
Just wait for the next one. Unless you're on an intercity railway like the WCML or GWR, the tickets won't be train-specific. I live in Kent so my local trains are the Southeastern and Southern trains, and all of their tickets are non-specific.
are you sure you need to buy another one?
because the ones i get don't have a time just the date
only has a time when its a long journey like london to birmingham
Reply 7
Original post by yeetouttawindow
are you sure you need to buy another one?
because the ones i get don't have a time just the date
only has a time when its a long journey like london to birmingham

Yes they do as I travel to a different city

ok fair
id just buy tickets at station rather in advance
(edited 2 years ago)
You can usually just get the next train that follows the same route and use the same ticket in my experience.

Or just be more punctual lol.
I never buy train specific tickets, I always get an anytime day return just because that is what works best. But don’t buy train specific tickets beforehand, get them when you get to the station if you can.
wait for another one
Best solution is to not get the train at all. Train services in the UK are utter rubbish.
Reply 13
I’m talking about the Uk railway. I’ve missed so many trains because I’m late and end up buying new tickets. So much money wasted. What do you do?

wait for a new train.

screw buying a new ticket......

Why are you constantly late?

Call up national rail, they will then alert the train you missed and tell the train driver to stop and reverse to pick you up

Are you purchasing Advance tickets? Off-Peak and anytime are valid on any train so you can just hop on the next one (except off-peak tickets aren't valid at peak time of course). Also worth bearing in mind they can't sell out and the price is fixed, so I just buy at the station anyway.

Original post by Cryoraptor
Just wait for the next one. Unless you're on an intercity railway like the WCML or GWR, the tickets won't be train-specific. I live in Kent so my local trains are the Southeastern and Southern trains, and all of their tickets are non-specific.

Only advance tickets are limited to specific time train, this is the same for every route in the UK regardless of distance. Just buy off-peak/super off-peak or anytime.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mainline421
Only advance tickets are limited to specific time train, this is the same for every route in the UK regardless of distance. Just buy off-peak/super off-peak or anytime.

There can be significant savings if you can plan ahead and book Advance tickets. For example, an Advance ticket from my local station to London shows as being over 70% cheaper than the Anytime fare; and for an off-peak trip the Advance fare is 60% cheaper that the Off-Peak fare.
If I miss a train, I like to make a dull post about it on a forum.

Yesterday I broke a nail. I'd be fascinated to know how other forum members cope with such a mundane issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending