The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

How easy is it to find a healthcare job in Cardiff?

I'm thinking of applying to Cardiff uni for a healthcare course. If I stayed in Wales for two years after graduating, I wouldn't have any tuition fees to pay back, but I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to find a job in Cardiff after graduating and will instead spend my early 20s somewhere in rural Wales without much of a social life. Should I be worried about this?
Original post by violapond
I'm thinking of applying to Cardiff uni for a healthcare course. If I stayed in Wales for two years after graduating, I wouldn't have any tuition fees to pay back, but I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to find a job in Cardiff after graduating and will instead spend my early 20s somewhere in rural Wales without much of a social life. Should I be worried about this?

Hi, I’m starting adult nursing in Cardiff in September and I’m taking the same route as you so would have to work there for two years after graduation. To be honest I wouldn’t worry about it. The joy of nursing is the flexibility it gives you in terms of choosing your place of work because they are in such high demand. Not just in rural areas but in busy cities too, just anywhere you can think of really. I doubt it will be a problem since you will have your fair share of options to pick from. If you did get a job in a rural area however you could always consider the option if commuting there which a lot of the nurses in my work have to do.
Hope this helps, best of luck to you
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Yaya00034
Hi, I’m starting adult nursing in Cardiff in September and I’m taking the same route as you so would have to work there for two years after graduation. To be honest I wouldn’t worry about it. The joy of nursing is the flexibility it gives you in terms of choosing your place of work because they are in such high demand. Not just in rural areas but in busy cities too, just anywhere you can think of really. I doubt it will be a problem since you will have your fair share of options to pick from. If you did get a job in a rural area however you could always consider the option if commuting there which a lot of the nurses in my work have to do.
Hope this helps, best of luck to you

I'm (hopefully) doing occupational therapy, so I'm not sure if that's as flexible as nursing (lower demand etc), but thanks for your reply!
Original post by violapond

Hello, I'm also going to use the bursary funding and had similar concerns. The FAQs about the 2 year ‘tie in’ and commitment to work in Wales are quite helpful to read through: https://nwssp.nhs.wales/ourservices/student-awards-services/student-awards-services-documents/sas-general-documents/nhs-wales-bursary-faq/
hope it helps:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending