The Student Room Group

Struggling to book a driving test

I passed my theory test on 13th March 2020 and and started learning how to drive the same month with a driving instructor. Then the lockdown happened and I and obviously many other people couldn’t drive till driving restrictions were lifted in July I believe (correct me if I am wrong).

Then I started again with my driving instructor until around November I think. October 31st I got a new car and started doing private practice lessons a few weeks after as I stopped doing lessons with my instructor for the following reasons: a) My driving instructor could only teach me once a week mostly no more than twice a week due to both of our availabilities b) financial reasons I could save £100 or £200 a month and practice whenever I could so no brainier from that perspective C) I had my own car to use at this point so why not make use of it and get used to driving in it so I feel comfortable using it for the test.

As mentioned previously, I started private practice and I felt much more confidant driving in my own car as the weeks went by as I had more time for practice. I was practicing after work for a short time 4:00-4:45 as I had something else to do from 5:00-7:00. I then started doing evening practice aswell as I was determined to get more practice in where I could in my free time. I then did weekends aswell and then lockdown happened again just as I booked my test on February 19th and that got cancelled due to lockdown. I went abroad ironically on February 19th and was originally set to come back to the Uk and do my test on June 29th. I couldn’t do the test as I was struggling to get to the Uk due to the country I was in being on the red list and hotel quarantine unaffordable for my family. So the dvla emailed me back after I emailed saying I can’t do the test with a new test date which was July 9th. Same thing I told them it was too early and I wanted time to practice when I come back as it would be 5 months since I last drove in the UK. Since then I have been on the Gov yo website clicking every date in the calendar only to say “unavailable”.

Sorry for the long post, I appreciate your time taken if you have read the whole post and replied aswell. What do I do now? Keep checking the website? I know other people have been waiting and DVLA are busy.
Hey. Have you tried downloading the app Testi. It is £10 to download but it alerts you to available slots in a time frame suitable for you. I’ve used it myself and it was perfect but you have to be very quick when an alert comes through. The only disadvantage is I think you have to have booked a test before you use the app and the app is mainly for changing a date but you can always book a test that’s not at an appropriate time for you and cancel it if the app comes back with nothing.
Reply 2
Original post by Hufflepuff1
Hey. Have you tried downloading the app Testi. It is £10 to download but it alerts you to available slots in a time frame suitable for you. I’ve used it myself and it was perfect but you have to be very quick when an alert comes through. The only disadvantage is I think you have to have booked a test before you use the app and the app is mainly for changing a date but you can always book a test that’s not at an appropriate time for you and cancel it if the app comes back with nothing.

Hi, an update so a friend of mine suggested the same thing he did not name a website or app but I took his advice and I used a driving test cancellation website that £15 on top of the £84 fee required to book a driving test anywhere so they can look for cancellations for me. But then my brother found out and he said just ring them and don’t use cancellation apps they just make money off you and then I thought to myself that I would rather search for tests myself and keep calling in. So I got a refund from DVLA and still I am awaiting the £15 refund from the cancellation website that I used. I called DVLA a few times in an attempt to explain my situation and give me priority for a test as I have been waiting for so long but I can’t even get through to them on the phone and find myself waiting on hold. So I guess I am pretty much helpless in this situation and there is not much more I can do rather than keep checking for cancellations and calling in hoping someone would answer.

Anyone else in a similar situation because of the COVID backlog. I feel a bit behind and frustrated as I know a lot people that have passed who are younger than me (I’m 20) and of course I am happy for them but they seemed to had it easy compared to me. That being said I know a few others who failed there test (I haven’t even had my first attempt!) Anyways is there a good time to call in as I can’t waste time ringing and checking the website all the time as I have other things to do but I just want to get over this as I really want to drive.
I failed my driving test first time 😰 the next test I could book was months away, but someone told me about - driving test cancellations 4 all. It was £18 I wholly recommend it I got a test within 3 weeks of failing my last one. Go for the auto book one u give time and days u are happy with and they will automatically change it for u.

With Covid situation it’s virtually impossible to get an early test by yourself yes it’s £18 for the app
But think of the amount of lessons u save 😀😀😀. I passed on the first test they found for me (2nd attempt)
So cannot say anything bad about it - u have to have booked a test first though for them to be able to swap it. Good luck with whatever u decide to do
Reply 4
Update I booked my test for January. Is it a good idea to still do driving lessons with an instructor or has anyone found that they passed their test whilst using their own car and just private practice?
If you think you are ready now for your test - stick with the driving instructor and try and get a cancellation for October using the cancellation app. - if u can afford it stick with driving* instructor but do practice in your own car aswell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending