The Student Room Group

UCAT help (not improving)

initially I was so bad but in untimed my scores were literally so good - this past week my scores have dropped an all time low as I’ve began doing timed

I’m not getting faster, and I literally just get like everything wrong. I’m reading the UCAT forum and people are doing like 2 hours a day and getting 3000 whereas I get up at 7 (as it’s the only time the house is quiet) and sometimes work til like 10 or 11 and still nothing

I haven’t started doing mini mocks yet as my scores are still so bad that I don’t want to waste them (since you can only do them once) itd getting so frustrating and I feel like I should up my hours and I don’t want to burn out - it’s been 3 weeks of medify revision (and I didn’t 1 week using a book - so basically ONE month of revising)

I redo questions I get wrong in QR and read the method and write it in my maths book, only to literally get them wrong again. I’ve just decided to read the question in VR and skim which has slightly improved my score - AR went from being my best to my worst and DM is surprisingly alright in timed & untimed.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG
Reply 1
You are working too much which will lead to quicker burn out and worse scores, try to take a day or 2 off to relax then get back to UCAT revision but do not do 3-4 hours continuously.
Original post by SyedN
You are working too much which will lead to quicker burn out and worse scores, try to take a day or 2 off to relax then get back to UCAT revision but do not do 3-4 hours continuously.

but I only have a month left and I really do not want to have to do it again as it’s been quite expensive for me & my family it’s important to me that I do well ://
Reply 3
Original post by hannahbbk134
but I only have a month left and I really do not want to have to do it again as it’s been quite expensive for me & my family it’s important to me that I do well ://

I understand, trust me I've been in the same position as you, but taking a day off to fully recharge will be very beneficial.

Also constantly working 4 hours everyday will do more harm than good as you will burn out and do worse rather than better.

I'd say if you want to do 4 hours everyday then split it up. Do an hour and a half at most in the morning and then take a break and do 30 mins 3 times more throughout the day.

Also take time to reflect on the mistakes you have made and try to improve it.
Original post by SyedN
I understand, trust me I've been in the same position as you, but taking a day off to fully recharge will be very beneficial.

Also constantly working 4 hours everyday will do more harm than good as you will burn out and do worse rather than better.

I'd say if you want to do 4 hours everyday then split it up. Do an hour and a half at most in the morning and then take a break and do 30 mins 3 times more throughout the day.

Also take time to reflect on the mistakes you have made and try to improve it.

True that’s very true, also have you done the UCAT before or are you also doing it this year?
Reply 5
True that’s very true, also have you done the UCAT before or are you also doing it this year?

I did mine in 2018 (back when it was called UKCAT) and applied for deferred entry into medicine so I've just finished my first year going on to second now!
Reply 6
initially I was so bad but in untimed my scores were literally so good - this past week my scores have dropped an all time low as I’ve began doing timed

I’m not getting faster, and I literally just get like everything wrong. I’m reading the UCAT forum and people are doing like 2 hours a day and getting 3000 whereas I get up at 7 (as it’s the only time the house is quiet) and sometimes work til like 10 or 11 and still nothing

I haven’t started doing mini mocks yet as my scores are still so bad that I don’t want to waste them (since you can only do them once) itd getting so frustrating and I feel like I should up my hours and I don’t want to burn out - it’s been 3 weeks of medify revision (and I didn’t 1 week using a book - so basically ONE month of revising)

I redo questions I get wrong in QR and read the method and write it in my maths book, only to literally get them wrong again. I’ve just decided to read the question in VR and skim which has slightly improved my score - AR went from being my best to my worst and DM is surprisingly alright in timed & untimed.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

I get that you must be reluctant to do mocks at the moment but I have noticed when I started doing mini mocks, my general score in all sections either improved or I was actually able to understand where I was going wrong. It is a little disheartening at the beginning but doing mini mocks early on helped me :smile:
Original post by medsock
I get that you must be reluctant to do mocks at the moment but I have noticed when I started doing mini mocks, my general score in all sections either improved or I was actually able to understand where I was going wrong. It is a little disheartening at the beginning but doing mini mocks early on helped me :smile:

okay I’ll start doing them either later on or tomorrow thank you !!
Original post by SyedN
I did mine in 2018 (back when it was called UKCAT) and applied for deferred entry into medicine so I've just finished my first year going on to second now!

Ohh okay, thank you for the advice !!
Reply 9
How did you do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending