The Student Room Group

UCAT - Dead End

Hi everyone,

I've seen a lot of helpful advice on here regarding ucat preparation, however, no matter how many times I try to implement these tips into my practise (such as reviewing mocks, learning to speed read, writing down & learning the different patterns in AR and etc. . .) my ucat score is still the same.

My test is scheduled for the 15th of September and I've been preparing for it on medify since two months now. I started with learning the subsections and doing untimed practise on a regular basis (roughly 40 mins to an hour everyday). Then in August I moved onto timed practise, mock exams and did mini mocks on the subsections that needed improving.

Despite all this, my score is still ~ 2400.

I'm honestly disappointed because this will be the second time that I'm sitting the ucat (taking a gap year). And I haven't improved at all from the first time I took it.

I would really appreciate it if someone could offer some insight into preparing for the ucat, and perhaps point out any areas that need improvement in my schedule. Unfortunately, applying for a BMAT uni is out of the question, so all my hopes of getting into medicine is riding on this one UCAT test.

Thank you so much for reading this.

E
Original post by E.Coli.3
Hi everyone,

I've seen a lot of helpful advice on here regarding ucat preparation, however, no matter how many times I try to implement these tips into my practise (such as reviewing mocks, learning to speed read, writing down & learning the different patterns in AR and etc. . .) my ucat score is still the same.

My test is scheduled for the 15th of September and I've been preparing for it on medify since two months now. I started with learning the subsections and doing untimed practise on a regular basis (roughly 40 mins to an hour everyday). Then in August I moved onto timed practise, mock exams and did mini mocks on the subsections that needed improving.

Despite all this, my score is still ~ 2400.

I'm honestly disappointed because this will be the second time that I'm sitting the ucat (taking a gap year). And I haven't improved at all from the first time I took it.

I would really appreciate it if someone could offer some insight into preparing for the ucat, and perhaps point out any areas that need improvement in my schedule. Unfortunately, applying for a BMAT uni is out of the question, so all my hopes of getting into medicine is riding on this one UCAT test.

Thank you so much for reading this.

E

I saw my mock scores improve by spending 50% of my time doing full or partial mocks and 50% reflection, I have full a4 notebooks with all my notes that I'd read before bed. I saw my scores improve massively doing this. What is your weakness? Timing? Specific types of q's? What are you lacking in? You can read all the tips you want but are you putting them into practise? Not trying to sound horrible - just that i was in your exact position and these are q's I had to ask myself
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Helloboyoyo
I saw my mock scores improve by spending 50% of my time doing full or partial mocks and 50% reflection, I have full a4 notebooks with all my notes that I'd read before bed. I saw my scores improve massively doing this. What is your weakness? Timing? Specific types of q's? What are you lacking in? You can read all the tips you want but are you putting them into practise? Not trying to sound horrible - just that i was in your exact position and these are q's I had to ask myself

Thank you for responding!

Honestly, I expected my marks to go up a little since I've started doing mocks but they haven't. I guess what's worth doing now is making more notes on all the subsections - but problem is, I'm not sure what to make notes on. I've made lists for the different patterns in AR, formulas, conversions, pie charts and shapes in QR. DM and SJ are fine.

What did you make notes on specifically?
Thank you for responding!

Honestly, I expected my marks to go up a little since I've started doing mocks but they haven't. I guess what's worth doing now is making more notes on all the subsections - but problem is, I'm not sure what to make notes on. I've made lists for the different patterns in AR, formulas, conversions, pie charts and shapes in QR. DM and SJ are fine.

What did you make notes on specifically?

The notes that I made were on specific questions that I got wrong, I would write down the question, write what I did , what I got wrong and what the actual answer was. let's say it was on a qr question and I didn't realise that I could use substitution to quickly solve a question, I'd remember my mistake and apply my new knowledge when that specific subset of questions within algebra within qr came up again - I would attach an image but I had so many annotations and my handwriting is trash so It wouldn't be any good, just find a way that makes it easy for you to remember your mistakes
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Helloboyoyo
The notes that I made were on specific questions that I got wrong, I would write down the question, write what I did , what I got wrong and what the actual answer was. let's say it was on a qr question and I didn't realise that I could use substitution to quickly solve a question, I'd remember my mistake and apply my new knowledge when that specific subset of questions within algebra within qr came up again - I would attach an image but I had so many annotations and my handwriting is trash so It wouldn't be any good, just find a way that makes it easy for you to remember your mistakes

Thank you! I'm about to review one of my mocks and I'll try your style of note taking.
Reply 5
Thank you! I'm about to review one of my mocks and I'll try your style of note taking.

hello im in the same position as you know , do you have any tips i have tried to review and change strategies man
Original post by pkaur20
hello im in the same position as you know , do you have any tips i have tried to review and change strategies man

hey im averaging around 2500 with my ucat coming up in a few days any help pls? i have been reviewing my mocks and it has really helped however my scores seem to fluctuate quite a lot and still not reached 2700+ on my mocks which is my target.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending