The Student Room Group

Deciding which Uni (Northumbria or Sunderland, Computer Science)

Hi all, I just wanted to ask a bit of advice, as I'm currently going round in circles to make a decision. Northumbria (my firm choice) have offered me a place on their foundation, and it would be like a 30 minute drive to get there from where I'm moving. Sunderland (I still need to speak to them properly tomorrow) have, I believe, offered me a place starting at year 1, and they'll also give me £2k a year as a bursary because I'm a care leaver, which Northumbria won't. However, both unis would cost about £700 a year on the train, but it would take me 1hr 20 to get to Sunderland, and like half an hour to Northumbria. Otherwise I'd need to drive, and the Tyne Tunnel would be about £10-20 a week, and petrol would be £20-30, which would probably mean a lot of that bursary gone. So, I thought I'd ask your opinions on which option seems the better? Just to make you aware, I'm a mature student of 29, if that makes any difference =)
Original post by mitchell_pratt__
Hi all, I just wanted to ask a bit of advice, as I'm currently going round in circles to make a decision. Northumbria (my firm choice) have offered me a place on their foundation, and it would be like a 30 minute drive to get there from where I'm moving. Sunderland (I still need to speak to them properly tomorrow) have, I believe, offered me a place starting at year 1, and they'll also give me £2k a year as a bursary because I'm a care leaver, which Northumbria won't. However, both unis would cost about £700 a year on the train, but it would take me 1hr 20 to get to Sunderland, and like half an hour to Northumbria. Otherwise I'd need to drive, and the Tyne Tunnel would be about £10-20 a week, and petrol would be £20-30, which would probably mean a lot of that bursary gone. So, I thought I'd ask your opinions on which option seems the better? Just to make you aware, I'm a mature student of 29, if that makes any difference =)

Hi there,

We appreciate that this can be a confusing time and that it all seems very overwhelming at the moment. What course have you applied for? We'll happily talk you through the benefits of choosing Sunderland if you have any questions. :smile:

Regarding you being a We Care student, our team really is fantastic. Wendy and the team do a great job at offering support and guidance throughout your entire student journey that is individual and bespoke support. There are regular meet up's (again if you wish to be involved) and you can also access financial support, emotional support, help with accommodation as well as ongoing assessment and progression.

More than 8,000 students here at Sunderland are classed as mature, so you certainly won't be alone. You’ll find a friendly and welcoming environment here, with help from our top-class support services every step of the way.
We know finance is a big consideration when making the decision to return to education, this is why we offer our mature students studying eligible courses the opportunity to apply for a range of scholarships and bursaries to support them during their studies.

The Mature Student Society is a great opportunity to meet people and meets frequently at the Interfaith Chaplaincy Centre at The Sir Tom Cowie Campus at St Peter's, where you can have a cup of tea and chat with your fellow mature students!

How was your call with the team today?
If you'd like to chat with some of our current students you can do so here.
Original post by mitchell_pratt__

Hi @mitchell_pratt__,

First of all, congratulations on your offers- that's really exciting and I'm sure you can't wait to go to university now!

If you'd like to tell us the course you are studying we can talk you through the benefits of doing the subject at Northumbria. But for now, here's some general reasons why Northumbria is a great place to study, especially for a mature student like yourself:

- We have an award winning Mature Student's society, run by the Students Union
- Our Careers and Employment Service will support you throughout your degree, ensuring you make the most of your experience and develop your skills
- Our facilities are second to none, including our library which achieves some of the highest levels of student satisfaction in the UK
- We are research rich, meaning you will be encouraged to explore areas of your subject that interest you.
- Our campus is in the heart of Newcastle, making it a fantastic location to study. Newcastle itself has a large population of students, so it is vibrant and full of opportunity.

We hope this helps, but do let us know if we can advise further about your specific course and the benefits of doing your subject at Northumbria.

Best Wishes,

Natalie
UG Student Room Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending