The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Me! Me! Me! :cool: I am so excited!
Reply 2
Me...But I am a Chinese...:P
Going back home this Easter Holiday...
I live in Beijing and was born in Xi'an, so if you want to ask any questions about these two cities, feel free to PM me.
I'm off to Hong Kong in Easter for 2 weeks.. then my boyfriend and his friend (who i am meeting while they're "travelling the world") are going up the east coast of China.
Reply 4
ladydeborah
I'm off to Hong Kong in Easter for 2 weeks.. then my boyfriend and his friend (who i am meeting while they're "travelling the world") are going up the east coast of China.

Hong Kong is great :biggrin:
Reply 5
Im goin to China in the summer... I think me and som ppl will heopfully rent a car and drive around the country a but... it'd be soooo kewl!! :rock:
Reply 6
bOdOING2
Im goin to China in the summer... I think me and som ppl will heopfully rent a car and drive around the country a but... it'd be soooo kewl!! :rock:
I live in China now and when I first got here I wanted to buy a motorcycle... figured I could travel around easily without having to drop the money for a car. Anyways.... if you want to operate any kind of vehicle you have to get your liscense and that takes classes, etc... All in all its a three month period. International drivers liscneses don't work.

But yeah China is great and beautiful and it is cheap to fly... there are so so many wonderful places to visit. You all will love it. Bring lots of money to buy DVDs- they cost about 50p!!!
Reply 7
bOdOING2

you want to drive in China???

be afraid be very afraid.
Reply 8
ThunderCat8
Me! Me! Me! :cool: I am so excited!

what city will you be going to? if you want to see Hangzhou (one of the prettiest cities in China, they say) let me know and I will give you a tour. Although it's better in the spring--exotic flowers and a lake with misty mountains, now it's all dead and cold... :frown: .
Reply 9
Kondar
I live in China now and when I first got here I wanted to buy a motorcycle... figured I could travel around easily without having to drop the money for a car. Anyways.... if you want to operate any kind of vehicle you have to get your liscense and that takes classes, etc... All in all its a three month period. International drivers liscneses don't work.

But yeah China is great and beautiful and it is cheap to fly... there are so so many wonderful places to visit. You all will love it. Bring lots of money to buy DVDs- they cost about 50p!!!

Yea... bt apprantly alot of ppl drive in China without licences, and i think im gonna borrow a car so I'm gonna try to cheat my way around, hopefully... lol
I arrive in Beijing on 25th Marc. At the moment the plan is to stay there for around 4 days then catch train to Xian. and stay there fro around 3 days.

Other than that not sure where to go or what to do.

my plan is to fly back to london from hong kong around 25th april

does anybody no of a plan on whre to go and what to do in china?

beijing to hong kong route.

cheers
katiesado
what city will you be going to? if you want to see Hangzhou (one of the prettiest cities in China, they say) let me know and I will give you a tour. Although it's better in the spring--exotic flowers and a lake with misty mountains, now it's all dead and cold... :frown: .

I am living in Qujing, which is about 3hours north of Kunming, in Yunnan Province. I may be visiting Hangzhou after I have finished teaching in July, so if you are there still, I may take you up on your offer :smile:
Reply 12
Kondar

You have been ripped off. They should cost less than 50p.
Reply 13
ThunderCat8
I am living in Qujing, which is about 3hours north of Kunming, in Yunnan Province. I may be visiting Hangzhou after I have finished teaching in July, so if you are there still, I may take you up on your offer :smile:

Oh that place... It is said to have lots of drug trafficing going on.

Software piracy (and movies) are really bad in China. You can buy DVDs which are data discs. Have something like 10 to 20 movies on each. Don't recommand that. Half of what you buy are not of top quality, requires a really good DVD drive to read, if you want to watch on a computer.
Reply 14
Camford
Oh that place... It is said to have lots of drug trafficing going on.

Software piracy (and movies) are really bad in China. You can buy DVDs which are data discs. Have something like 10 to 20 movies on each. Don't recommand that. Half of what you buy are not of top quality, requires a really good DVD drive to read, if you want to watch on a computer.
As far as the DVD scene goes-

DVD 5 cost 6-8 RMB
DVD 9 cost 11-13 RMB

1 quid = 16 RMB

DVD 5 is one movie, just like you would buy at home, USUALLY very good quality only no extras like deleted scenes, trailers, etc..

DVD 9 is basically the real thing, great quality, everything on the disc

If you buy movies that have not come out on DVD then often the quality is very bad- sometimes just a guy in a theater with a camcorder.

But I have a wonderful collection of about 300 DVDs all top notch- if they are not good then I bring them back to the store and exchange them.

Most of the places that sell these DVDs are hidden in secret rooms and in the attic, etc...

Note: There is a difference between VCD and DVD- VCDs are not that good, but real DVDs are everywhere now in China. And my DVD player works fine with them, I bought it here for 400RMB ~ about $50.
Reply 15
And you'er thinking of lugging all of that back to England?
Reply 16
And you'er thinking of lugging all of that back to England?
Im guessing Ill have around 500 DVDs when I leave. I have sleeves that hold 98 DVDs/CDs- so that would be about 5 sleeves. Everyone hauls back a horde of DVDs when they leave China.
Reply 17
bOdOING2
Yea... bt apprantly alot of ppl drive in China without licences, and i think im gonna borrow a car so I'm gonna try to cheat my way around, hopefully... lol
Good luck! The Chinese are some of the craziest drivers Ive ever seen. traffic laws mean NOTHING. Just crossing the street takes most people a week or so to get comfortable with. Be careful.

or like Katiesado said.... Be afriad....
Kondar
Im guessing Ill have around 500 DVDs when I leave. I have sleeves that hold 98 DVDs/CDs- so that would be about 5 sleeves. Everyone hauls back a horde of DVDs when they leave China.

Wont the value top the import limits meaning you'll have to pay import tax for that many?
Reply 19
PQ
Wont the value top the import limits meaning you'll have to pay import tax for that many?

Ummmmm... i doubt they'll go through the trouble of searching his bags..

Latest