The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I absolutely LOVE history :biggrin: :love:

Also we're doing Nazi Germany and WW2 this year (A2) and that's probably my favourite section in History. If you've got a good teacher that can bring the subject to life it's even better. And contrary to public belief, it's not just about learning dates. As long as you don't mind writing essays, it's a great subject!
At the moment I'm not finding History lessons too interesting, and homework wise, History is the most demanding. My Unit 2- Appeasement teacher is setting us a constant stream of essays and isn't exactly making the lessons seem that interesting. But I've always enjoyed reading about History and so don't mind the extra reading involved. You can't just rely on one textbook for History, you have to get more. Currently I have 2 books for Unit 1 and 3 books for Unit 2, and come June I'll probally have more. The examiners can really tell from your answers whether you've bothered to do wider reading or not. Generaly for source based questions you don't need to know dates that well, its only if the question relies soley on your own knowledge.
I've just started AS and my teacher has given me 2 books to note down fully by the end of half term (need to start tomorrow!). I loved it last year, and well this year.. I don't!
I'm doing AS Edexcel and I'm finding it really interesting, especially all the histiography which was never even mentioned at GCSE. I'm doing Wars of the roses/Henry VIII for AS.
Its fantastic! I love history, im doing edexcel and we have just finished civil rights in America and are now doing the cold war which is exciting, which reminds i need to finish my essay now :frown:
hannahhi

Also we're doing Nazi Germany and WW2 this year (A2) and that's probably my favourite section in History. If you've got a good teacher that can bring the subject to life it's even better. And contrary to public belief, it's not just about learning dates. As long as you don't mind writing essays, it's a great subject!

me too :biggrin:
Reply 26
There's a LOT of learning required, but as long as you put the effort in, you'll get a good mark.
I found AS History relatively straightforward, although the examination marking can be somewhat erratic at times.
Jinxy
Is it a lot of memorising dates and things?

To a certain extent yes bt not really, you have to kind of remember what happened and the effects and implications etc of an event rather than the date, if you know what happened in roughly the right year or even just decade, then that should do. I know for a fact i put hardly any dates into my A2 exams but still got an A so its all in the way you answer the question, learn that first and then the small things like exact dates.
Reply 29
ElvisAint-Dead
me too :biggrin:

:five:

I dunno why, I've just always found it really interesting.
i absolutely love A2 history, not so much AS but i love world war 2 and nazi germany
Reply 31
I love History, it's really interesting!
Reply 32
I loved GCSE History, so took the A level.
But I don't really like it-it's boring. And marking is random. I've been OK, I've had As in all the modules, but some good people have had like Cs, whilst **** people sometimes pull off As. The marking is a bit ****-as a result of that I wouldn't judge anyone on their history grades. But despite this, it is a quite well respected A level.

Also it's the only A level I do where revision just doesn't help. So I guess that gives more time to work on other subjects. I just don't know what they're actually testing in those exams.

Peace and Love xx
hannahhi

I did the Nazis, are you doing the origins of the second world war? lol if you are because taylors book is a pain in the arse to read and the way it was taught at my school was awful. We never did a practice essay for that unit, only the biggest part of the whole A level... ah well i did ok in it but i see why so many others didnt do well in it.... neway sorry for rant lol

glad ur enjoying the topic
im doing A2 history on my own this year (gap year), and its hard but really enjoyable! its really well respected and if u like writing essays and have a good memory, its pretty easy :smile:
Reply 35
bj_945
But I don't really like it-it's boring. And marking is random. I've been OK, I've had As in all the modules, but some good people have had like Cs, whilst **** people sometimes pull off As. The marking is a bit ****-as a result of that I wouldn't judge anyone on their history grades. But despite this, it is a quite well respected A level.

Also it's the only A level I do where revision just doesn't help. So I guess that gives more time to work on other subjects. I just don't know what they're actually testing in those exams.

Peace and Love xx

Eh?!!

History there is LOADS of memorise; all the events and what their results were...
bj_945

Peace and Love xx

:eek: :eek:

lol u must have a really good memory, how can you possibly remember all the details that say you did at the beginning of the year? ah well lucky you i guess
Reply 37
loopykitten!
I did the Nazis, are you doing the origins of the second world war? lol if you are because taylors book is a pain in the arse to read and the way it was taught at my school was awful. We never did a practice essay for that unit, only the biggest part of the whole A level... ah well i did ok in it but i see why so many others didnt do well in it.... neway sorry for rant lol

glad ur enjoying the topic

Yup, the origins of WW2. :yep: We have decent textbooks, and a great teacher so it's all good!
I love it. 94% in it.
Jinxy
Is it a lot of memorising dates and things?

History would not be History were it not for the importance of dates, but it is important to remember that this is not the be all and end all of examinations. As well as looking for specific factual knowledge (eg. dates and statistics), what is arguably more important is an ability to form a coherent and consistent argument in essays, along with the capacity to critically assess the credibility of the source material presented.

Latest