The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bj_945
I
Also it's the only A level I do where revision just doesn't help

It really does!
Reply 41
I love history but I think that A2 is better than AS. The modules are much more interesting at A2, we are doing the Labour Party and the extension of the franchise etc.
If you don't mind writing alot of essays you'll be fine!
Reply 42
Hmm, everyone saying revision does matter.

I dunno, I did no revision for my first module. Opened the book, thought nah Physics more pressing-things I don't understand yet. The other 2 modules I did maybe 1-2 hours each. Same for French, but I speak it. Compared to say Biology, Physics, and Philosophy where I probs spent 5 full 12 hour days revising for each module.

I can't bring up dates, but everything else I could remember just fine, all the factors and stuff you only need to know like 3-4 factors for each question.

So off the top of my head a few months on:
E.g Reason for First Crusade:

Intro
1)Religion, incl Papal Bull etc.
2)Thought of personal gain-land, booty, glory etc.
3)Swept up in a mass movement-peer pressure etc.
Conclude

I could write that essay now, and be fairly confident I'd get an A. All you have to do is take each of those factors and write a load of common sense, with a few facts you picked up in class, e.g that for peer pressure large numbers of people appeared to join together, from the same geographical areas. That structure would probs do for exam conditions. Conclude, choose at random whichever factor you feel like as long as there were half-decent reasons for it within its paragraph. Done.

If you did that alright, you'll have an A, subject to what is quite possibloy the most awful marking in the whole British examination system, which is saying something.

Sorry about the cynicism with conclusion etc. I just don't really enjoy History any more, despite having really good teachers (which makes me feel kinda bad), but I can't be passionate about it in the way I am about my Philosophy A level (though I can see the attraction in History).

Pnl xx
Reply 43
bj_945
Hmm, everyone saying revision does matter.

I dunno, I did no revision for my first module. Opened the book, thought nah Physics more pressing-things I don't understand yet. The other 2 modules I did maybe 1-2 hours each. Same for French, but I speak it. Compared to say Biology, Physics, and Philosophy where I probs spent 5 full 12 hour days revising for each module.

I can't bring up dates, but everything else I could remember just fine, all the factors and stuff you only need to know like 3-4 factors for each question.

So off the top of my head a few months on:
E.g Reason for First Crusade:

Intro
1)Religion, incl Papal Bull etc.
2)Thought of personal gain-land, booty, glory etc.
3)Swept up in a mass movement-peer pressure etc.
Conclude

I could write that essay now, and be fairly confident I'd get an A. All you have to do is take each of those factors and write a load of common sense, with a few facts you picked up in class, e.g that for peer pressure large numbers of people appeared to join together, from the same geographical areas. That structure would probs do for exam conditions. Conclude, choose at random whichever factor you feel like as long as there were half-decent reasons for it within its paragraph. Done.

If you did that alright, you'll have an A, subject to what is quite possibloy the most awful marking in the whole British examination system, which is saying something.

Sorry about the cynicism with conclusion etc. I just don't really enjoy History any more, despite having really good teachers (which makes me feel kinda bad), but I can't be passionate about it in the way I am about my Philosophy A level (though I can see the attraction in History).

Pnl xx

I understand what you mean, but I feel to get a very high scoring essay, you'd need more specific details. But hey, if you got an A, fair enough. :p:
Reply 44
I loved GCSE history, but finding AS history quite dull atm. New syllabus means we're doing Italian unification [don't mind] and also British politics [which I hate]!
Reply 45
To quote Josh Sheridan:

'USA good. UK ****.'
does anyone have any suggestions for some good textbooks? im doing germany 1871-1914 and the lead up to the 2ww and anti-semitism.. and we have no textbooks, its hard!
Jinxy
thanks for that!
what kinds of jobs would a history degree or even A level be quite good for? I'm just curious :smile:

and yeh it sounds ok then, my other subjects are similar to yours im doing biology, english literature, religious studies and history after half term :smile:

The appeal of a history degree seems to be its flexibility - the most common jobs that historians seem to take up after uni are law (majority), media (publishing, journalism etc.), museum/heritage work, banking... I think it's pretty much anything not science/overly-maths based! Within the media alone there's a huge range of jobs available.

If you're worried about the job prospects (as a lot of potential history applicants seem to be), you'll have plenty of flexibility in choosing what you want to do eventually, so IMO this is a lot better than restricting yourself to just medicine or accounting or something that seems initially more lucrative! Good luck :smile:

cherrycola32
does anyone have any suggestions for some good textbooks? im doing germany 1871-1914 and the lead up to the 2ww and anti-semitism.. and we have no textbooks, its hard!

For the lead up to WW2, I'd suggest Weimar & Nazi Germany by John Hite and Chris Hinton, published by Hodder Murray in the 'School History Project' series. It is quite fab.
Reply 48
im loving as history. im also doing ocr and im doing american civil rights movement and the tudors at the moment. And were going to America in April as a history trip. Im really enjoying it, i got an A at GCSE so im pretty good at it. Im good with dates and if you're like me, you'll be good too. Good luck and its really not boring. Dont listen to those who say it is. If you didnt do it at GCSE though you're in for a rough ride. LOL

Latest