The Student Room Group

Rolex Watches

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
pinkpont
The classic Rolex designs are really for the older guy. They are bringing in newer, "funkier" designs to appeal to the younger market. Sports watches are always a big interest to younger guys, and they do some really nice dial combinations on watches like the Datejust. I'll show you a couple which have some really nice, fresh designs.

I love the design of this watch. The white dial, lightning seconds hand, green glass and mirror finish bezel makes it look really striking. As well as this, the lume on the dial is a mixture of blue and green, making it look really great at night too. It's a big watch too - nice and chunky, going to appeal to those Breitling and Panerai lovers out there.

See the thing is, I'm not really into funky designs either. I like things to be somewhat bold, yet subtle enough to not be in your face, just as something that people would be wowed by when taking a closer look.

I've always been a fan of things like the Omega Seamaster and Speedmasters though, same with the Tag Carrera.

But one of the watches I have my eye on at the moment is one of the Seiko Divers. Since they look quite nice, and they're within my price range.

If you can be bothered, pray tell about movements and the like via pm or something.
Reply 81
simeon
The only problem with the strap is that, just like the tyres it's modelled on, it does wear out.

The new ones are inpregnated with a nice vanilla scent to mask the smell of rubber though!

Same goes for leather straps. In fact, leather ones can get pretty smelly after a while, not so nice!
Reply 82
Tabris
See the thing is, I'm not really into funky designs either. I like things to be somewhat bold, yet subtle enough to not be in your face, just as something that people would be wowed by when taking a closer look.

I've always been a fan of things like the Omega Seamaster and Speedmasters though, same with the Tag Carrera.

But one of the watches I have my eye on at the moment is one of the Seiko Divers. Since they look quite nice, and they're within my price range.

If you can be bothered, pray tell about movements and the like via pm or something.

Omega and TAG do some very nice watches, and I have to say I'm a fan of the three you've listed. As for Seiko, they do some excellent watches, I was very tempted to get one myself. Their Orange Monster is a really striking watch, nice and different
Seiko do a nice poor man's breitling.
I'll buy one as soon as i can afford one. The way I see it, if you're going to buy something, you should buy the best and as far as I can tell Rolex make the best/some of the best watches. I also like the fact that they sponsor tennis (I am a big tennis fan but can't play to save my life!).
My question to the OP, something I have been wondering recently, is can you have a Rolex custom made?
Reply 85
sugarplum fairy
I'll buy one as soon as i can afford one. The way I see it, if you're going to buy something, you should buy the best and as far as I can tell Rolex make the best/some of the best watches. I also like the fact that they sponsor tennis (I am a big tennis fan but can't play to save my life!).
My question to the OP, something I have been wondering recently, is can you have a Rolex custom made?

Hmm, unless you have some serious cash (I'm talking hundreds of thousands of pounds), I don't think Rolex will do a specifically custom watch. However, there are loads and loads of different options for each watch. If you take one model, the Datejust (their classic dress watch), you have a choice of different metal combinations (steel, steel and yellow gold, steel and rose gold, 18ct yellow, plus 18ct white and Platinum for the ladies' version), for each metal combination you get a choice of about 30 dials, you can choose from different bracelets (oyster and jubilee on the mens, plus president and pearlmaster on the ladies'), a choice of bezels (plain polished, or graduated gold, with diamond options for the ladies'), and then you can choose whether to have diamonds or other gem stones set on the bracelet, dial or case.

As you can tell, you can really make it your watch. From a very simple and classic look to a crazy blinged-out one, Rolex probably has the option for you. The Rolex website will show you a few combinations, but the best way to find out is to go down to a Rolex dealership and have a nose through the master catalogue. If the dealer doesn't have it in stock, they can order one in especially.
Reply 86
pinkpont, quick question for you...

i've had my sea-dweller for about 5 years now and have only been wearing it occasionally as i've got a few watches and like to rotate. My question is, should i still take my watch in for servicing even though I've not been using it on a regular basis.

Also, I have a few very small hairline scratches on the side of the watch, can these be polished out and does the servicing guys do this?

Cheers
Reply 87
kbgnat
pinkpont, quick question for you...

i've had my sea-dweller for about 5 years now and have only been wearing it occasionally as i've got a few watches and like to rotate. My question is, should i still take my watch in for servicing even though I've not been using it on a regular basis.

Also, I have a few very small hairline scratches on the side if the watch, does the servicing guys polish these out for you?

Cheers

It's probably about due. Y'see, the oils inside the watch which keep the cogs running smoothly dries out over time. This begins to affect the timekeeping of the watch, and also increases the wear on various moving parts. Is it still keeping good time? Just remember that servicing costs about £250, and is taking up to 10 weeks at the moment.

As for what they do in the service, they replace any worn parts, relubricate the movement, regulate it, replace any gaskets for waterproofing, and polish the case and bracelet. It should come back looking and working as good as the day you bought it
Reply 88
pinkpont
It's probably about due. Y'see, the oils inside the watch which keep the cogs running smoothly dries out over time. This begins to affect the timekeeping of the watch, and also increases the wear on various moving parts. Is it still keeping good time? Just remember that servicing costs about £250, and is taking up to 10 weeks at the moment.

Oh really, i didnt know that. tbh, i dont wear my sea-dweller long enough to really know whether the time keeping is out or not...
and you say it can take up to 10 weeks for a service... from what you are saying, i assume all dealerships send the watches back to switzerland to have them serviced?

pinkpont
As for what they do in the service, they replace any worn parts, relubricate the movement, regulate it, replace any gaskets for waterproofing, and polish the case and bracelet. It should come back looking and working as good as the day you bought it

Oh that's good. i've got some hairline scratches and it's bugging me no end. lol

cheers for the very insightful reply
Reply 89
kbgnat
Oh really, i didnt know that. tbh, i dont wear my sea-dweller long enough to really know whether the time keeping is out or not...
and you say it can take up to 10 weeks for a service... from what you are saying, i assume all dealerships send the watches back to switzerland to have them serviced?

The only ones that get sent to Switzerland are ones that need serious refurbishment. I'm talking about the ones that have been pretty much destroyed, and also vintage pieces. All standard services get carried out at the service centre at Bexley, where every watch will be looked after by a fully trained watchmaker.

kbgnat
Oh that's good. i've got some hairline scratches and it's bugging me no end. lol

cheers for the very insightful reply

Be glad you don't have one with polished centre links. Mine's scratched up fairly badly around the clasp unfortunately.
i'd say rolex are over-hyped, raymond weil/omega are better for the money imo :smile: i prefer jacobs for the flashy bling factor anyway, not that i own one at 18! my dad has a raymond weil and a rolex, wears the raymond weil much muchh more as he's scared of losing it. there are women who buy the same armani watch in rose gold and the yellow gold and will only buy a watch with real diamonds, but are scared of losing their rolex. bah! hype hype hype!

i work for a really good jeweller in their watch store, and we had a geez' with a few raymond weils who took them for a battery change with a bloke in a market who completely snapped off all the contacts which he had to get repaired by us- don't take a decent watch to a complete plonker on a market stall! or ernest jones, as they completely rip people off for repairs/service, especially for rolex. they quoted one guy £300-350 for a service/minor repair, which we could easily do for £200.

so many people have genuine prices for fake watches from seemingly respectable places. i rarely have the heart to tell people their £400 d&g watch is fake or their pride and bling isn't actually solid gold. sometimes they're so well disguised, with half the mechanism cheap or old that it takes the manager even a while to twig.
Reply 91
watermelon sugar
i'd say rolex are over-hyped, raymond weil/omega are better for the money imo :smile: i prefer jacobs for the flashy bling factor anyway, not that i own one at 18! my dad has a raymond weil and a rolex, wears the raymond weil much muchh more as he's scared of losing it. there are women who buy the same armani watch in rose gold and the yellow gold and will only buy a watch with real diamonds, but are scared of losing their rolex. bah! hype hype hype!

i work for a really good jeweller in their watch store, and we had a geez' with a few raymond weils who took them for a battery change with a bloke in a market who completely snapped off all the contacts which he had to get repaired by us- don't take a decent watch to a complete plonker on a market stall! or ernest jones, as they completely rip people off for repairs/service, especially for rolex. they quoted one guy £300-350 for a service/minor repair, which we could easily do for £200.

so many people have genuine prices for fake watches from seemingly respectable places. i rarely have the heart to tell people their £400 d&g watch is fake or their pride and bling isn't actually solid gold. sometimes they're so well disguised, with half the mechanism cheap or old that it takes the manager even a while to twig.

It's nice to see someone else in the trade :smile: Whilst I'd agree that Omega and Raymond are good value for money, the residuals will always sway it for Rolex in my opinion. You can lose so much money on an Omega, but if you have a Rolex, you can get an excellent price for it years after you've bought it.

As for Rolex services, the Ernest Jones price does seem a little steep. I know the shop I work at doesn't have the facilities at the moment to service Rolexes themselves, and Rolex themselves can be quite pricey. Certainly a fully trained watchmaker with the right tools and parts can do just as nice a job, if not better, as Rolex.

As for the fakes, I agree with you that it's tough to tell people sometimes. But you have to be so careful with what you say. Sometimes it's obvious, but other times it could just be an obscure model. I almost told someone with a solid gold Rolex that it was fake, but it just had a discontinued bracelet on it. Good thing I checked with the manager first!
Cant say I am desp for one (dont wear a watch anyway) but the dat date is still the daddy IMO, excellent design

Reply 93
Clubber Lang
Cant say I am desp for one (dont wear a watch anyway) but the dat date is still the daddy IMO, excellent design

It's a classic, and it looks all the better for the recent redesign. Bigger, shinier, and with a better bracelet. Isn't this just effortlessly classy?

Reply 94
I'm quite lucky as all my servicing is done by a family friend who is a watchmaker/seller.

It's at 'mates rates', so around the £100 mark.

Still takes 10-12 weeks to get it back though.
Reply 95
simeon
I'm quite lucky as all my servicing is done by a family friend who is a watchmaker/seller.

It's at 'mates rates', so around the £100 mark.

Still takes 10-12 weeks to get it back though.

A very reasonable price for that. I've found that knowing the right people in the jewellery trade can save you a hell of a lot of money hehe
Reply 96
pinkpont
A very reasonable price for that. I've found that knowing the right people in the jewellery trade can save you a hell of a lot of money hehe

I guess he has a vested interest in keeping hte servicing reasonable...myself and my Dad buy all our watches from him. He's certainly made a few £ from us!
Reply 97
simeon
I guess he has a vested interest in keeping hte servicing reasonable...myself and my Dad buy all our watches from him. He's certainly made a few £ from us!

Definitely. I know the shop I work at have some very loyal customers too...independents have the personal touch the big chains just don't have.
Reply 98
Rolex, lot of money for very little exclusivity! Another Burberry imo. Get a Patek Philippe
Reply 99
Andy1723
Rolex, lot of money for very little exclusivity! Another Burberry imo. Get a Patek Philippe

It's true that Rolex aren't very exclusive. COSC figures state that 750000 Rolex movements were tested last year compared to 41000 Patek movements. Then again, Patek are in a completely different league, and certainly aren't as durable as Rolex.

Quick Reply

Latest