The Student Room Group

Are degree apprenticeships hard ?

Thinking of doing a degree apprenticeship in accounting, is it hard managing a degree and working a real 9-5 job full time (4days a week and uni work 1 day a week)?
Reply 1
I work full time and do an apprenticeship that is only to be done in work hours.

You could speak with your employer about this and find out the modules / study time required on the course.
Reply 2
Original post by goneclear
Thinking of doing a degree apprenticeship in accounting, is it hard managing a degree and working a real 9-5 job full time (4days a week and uni work 1 day a week)?

I do a degree apprenticeship in banking and finance and so far its been one of the best decision. Managing time has been fine just make sure you dont get too behind because it becomes an overload of things to do. Other than that had a blast and earning full time grad salary from it. We have a uni whatsapp group where we can all stay close with each other and catch up so its a very close and nice envirnoment to ask questions and make friends. My team is very supportive of me and teach me loads daily so that I can learn on the job. Pretty much perfect experience for me so far.
My work life balance during my 5 year degree apprenticeship was very challenging at times, specifically as exams approached.

My university often lectured in the first semester, and then bunched multiple assignment deadlines together near and just after the January exams.

Worst case, I would work from 8am to 4pm, and then study/revise, and complete assignment work until 10pm every weekday, and study 10 hours on a weekend for about 3 months (November - January). Sometimes I’d need to do this again for a month or two near the end of semester 2. (I didn’t leave work last minute either).

Although you work full time during the summer holidays, it does allow for some relative relief since you don’t have any academic study. Though I still did 5-10 hours after work each week over summer catching up on the apprenticeship portfolio work.
Reply 4
Alright, if you're reading this and you're looking to get into a Degree Apprenticeship, or just getting into one now, you we're in my spot 4 years ago. I feared what I was getting into, but after been through it, here’s what I got:

The Degree Apprenticeship is by a longshot the ultimate opportunity worth taking if its given to you. It’s a test of sheer determination that rewards you invaluably on a multitude of fronts.

That doesn't mean it's for everyone, however.

It comes with some heavy sacrifices, such as the sought after "University Lifestyle" and independence that many seek after leaving Sixth Form and College. You also don't get the traditional "Summer Holidays" of 6+ weeks off (You do however get holiday to take over the course of the year).

A lot of that spare time of yours will be sunk into refining your craft, and that's completely up to you how far you take that. Some people will aim higher than others, and if you want a "First Class" Degree result, there will be times where you must take the helm and graft through both your Companies work and your university’s coursework. Its big endeavour that's not the most ideal for those that succumb to stresses of a frequent basis, but don't let that stop you from trying.

Depending on certain circumstances, you may also find yourself quite distant from friends you know that have taken a different avenue of education. Especially those who work on weekends.

In contrast, the apprenticeship offers you with a range of benefits, with the headline being Company Funded Degrees, and a Salary that increases over time based on your performance and exclusive industry experience no University Student would know. You'll be earning and learning (Roughly 4 years of experience) at the same time.

This is an experience for the people who are keen to discover a field at its breadth - both certain and uncertain of their futures.
I initially was unsure if I even wanted to do my subject, and through the first 2 or so years, I was scared I made the wrong decision, but eventually, with time and support from your company, you'll most likely end up finding what interests you, even if your aspirations lie outside of your curriculum.

A Degree Apprenticeship is by default tough, but entirely capable to those who like a good challenge. You quickly become accustomed to working a 9 to 5 weekdays or similar hours, where working on university assignments in the evening is quite likely - This can be made far easier by starting assignments early, or getting to know your colleges strengths to assist you in your work. Ignore this advice and you'll have joined the all nighter club - we're glad to have you aboard! :biggrin:

You'll meet many faces from supportive to judgemental, and you'll learn lots from them both. Your network quickly expands from all different ages and backgrounds.

The most surprising thing about the apprenticeship, is its ability to provide an experience rich in self-discovery. You will learn a lot about yourself on the way - What are your limits, What interests you most, Who you rely on, Where your stresses stem from, How honest you are with yourself. It’s all things that will ground your self-awareness and mature you in some desirable aspects. Makes me sound older than I am, like some kind of workaholic or some office husk with no social life -- Nothing stops you from visiting friends who perhaps are in University having parties on weekends! You'll have wages to fund your fun. :h:

Its anything but the easiest road. But see it through and you'll have something more than a certificate and a couple of quid's in your back pocket, I assure.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending