The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Rejected by Bristol Aerospace Engineering Course.

I want to know how hard it is getting into Bristol, I had predicted grades of AAA when the entry requirements was A*AA. I tried to convince my maths teachers to increase my grade because in one of my mocks I was only 5% off an A* but they still wouldn’t budge, I am a bit gutted because Bristol is a good university especially for aerospace and I could’ve easily got an A* predicted without doing silly mistakes and possibly COVID did affect my grades.
I applied to Bristol and got accepted for a masters, however the issue here is not Bristol. The issue is that Aerospace is notoriously always hard to get into.
I reaaaaally feel your frustration with the mock grade, OP. If there is absolutely no way they'd budge (and please don't get hung up over that, I've been in that position before but came out with straight A*s annoyingly).Is there any chance your other grades could be lifted? I would start considering alternative places regardless. I'm not too clued up, but I know Southampton offers an electronic variation of the degree which requires 3 As.
Have you got in contact with engineering admissions at Bristol or do you know there is no leeway with this?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by ArcticChimera
I applied to Bristol and got accepted for a masters, however the issue here is not Bristol. The issue is that Aerospace is notoriously always hard to get into.
I reaaaaally feel your frustration with the mock grade, OP. If there is absolutely no way they'd budge (and please don't get hung up over that, I've been in that position before but came out with straight A*s annoyingly).Is there any chance your other grades could be lifted? I would start considering alternative places regardless. I'm not too clued up, but I know Southampton offers an electronic variation of the degree which requires 3 As.
Have you got in contact with engineering admissions at Bristol or do you know there is no leeway with this?

Yeah I did get an email from the admissions team saying I didn’t get offered because my grade didn’t meet the requirement. What’s more unfortunate was that I have already sent my application and a week prior to our school’s internal UCAS deadline, my maths teacher got covid when she was meant to discuss to the head of maths to convince him to get me the A*. Without his knowledge of what I am capable of, he had to stick with an A. I have got offers from Sheffield Manchester and Leicester and I have yet to hear back from Bath (knowing what Bristol told me, I am not too hopeful I’ll even get an offer :frown:)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ha5san03
Yeah I did get an email from the admissions team saying I didn’t get offered because my grade didn’t meet the requirement. What’s more unfortunate was that I have already sent my application and a week prior to our school’s internal UCAS deadline, my maths teacher got covid when she was meant to discuss to the head of maths to convince him to get me the A*. Without his knowledge of what I am capable of, he had to stick with an A. I have got offers from Sheffield Manchester and Leicester and I have yet to hear back from Bath (knowing what Bristol told me, I am not too hopeful I’ll even get an offer :frown:)

By the sounds of it, the situation cannot be changed at this point, however frustrating it is. I can't speak for Manchester and Leicester, but I know several Aerospace engineers at Sheffield who are very happy + find the course very fulfilling.
Wait to hear back from Bath and discuss this further with teachers/parents/peers etc. What do you think you'd get in the actual exams/what actual grades do you think you will receive?
Reply 4
Original post by ArcticChimera
By the sounds of it, the situation cannot be changed at this point, however frustrating it is. I can't speak for Manchester and Leicester, but I know several Aerospace engineers at Sheffield who are very happy + find the course very fulfilling.
Wait to hear back from Bath and discuss this further with teachers/parents/peers etc. What do you think you'd get in the actual exams/what actual grades do you think you will receive?

I am willing to go A*AA or beyond, I know with how much harder I can work, I am more than capable of being able to achieve A*’s. If I have an off day I could do badly but I am going all out to not let that happen
Reply 5
I think, from my experience, university of Bristol is not that hard to get into. This is because, sometimes they give you an offer even if your predicted grades might be slightly lower. My friend who studies medicine (i think) at Bristol was exactly in your situation before but he got an offer. Universities like Oxbridge, LSE, ICL (i think) would automatically reject you, but university of bristol is known for friendly offers (especially with giving out contextual offers too). In this case, you got a chance to be accepted. Good luck and I wish you the best.
Original post by Ha5san03
x

With all due respect, I know you're upset but you're really not doing yourself any favours by ranting and boasting at other people. I'm sorry that Bristol rejected you, I'm sure it sucks, but you come off as incredibly arrogant yourself in the above post. Just food for thought.
Move on with your head held high and hopefully you'll get an offer from Bath :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Indililam1
With all due respect, I know you're upset but you're really not doing yourself any favours by ranting and boasting at other people. I'm sorry that Bristol rejected you, I'm sure it sucks, but you come off as incredibly arrogant yourself in the above post. Just food for thought.
Move on with your head held high and hopefully you'll get an offer from Bath :smile:

I am not sad about getting rejected, that guy came across as very rude and condescending and I had to put him in his place. Calling me a whiner when he’s being a massive hypocrite. Hopefully Bath does give me an offer although I am not overly optimistic.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Indililam1

I disagree. Anonymous #1 was hypocritical in criticising the OP for whining while being an even greater whiner. Therefore the OP was well within their rights to hit back.
Reply 9
@Shuei I appreciate you are speaking anecdotally, however I disagree. Bristol is v difficult to get into for aerospace engineering. I got 3A* incl maths and physics, I have a year in industry working for an engineering firm along with other engineering related extra curricular projects. I did a gap year and applied with achieved grades and still got rejected.

It’s their most competitive course along with med and economics. (I was told that by an admissions tutor)
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending