The Student Room Group

Engineering apprenticeship for someone who's done level 3 btec in engineering

I achieved a D*D*D* in a btec level 3 engineering course back in 2020 (nearly 2 years ago). What apprenticeships would recommend I apply for?
(edited 2 years ago)
Engineering sector is really huge. Is there certain interest which can help narrow the sector down?
Original post by Miiiya
I achieved a D*D*D* in a btec level 3 engineering course back in 2020 (nearly 2 years ago). What apprenticeships would recommend I apply for?

I did a level 3 engineering advanced apprenticeship, which is equivalent to your BTEC, but with on the job training and without a distinguishing grade (well done on the distinction!).

I went on to change employer in order to pursue a Degree Apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering, working in medical devices (skeletal reconstruction) - research and development.

I couldn’t recommend this enough if the apprenticeship setting works for you. You don’t need engineering related qualification, just the equivalent level qualification, so you’re at a major advantage if you stay in engineering.

I finished my degree apprenticeship last year.
Happy to answer questions, or, I could help with applications and CV in private chat if you’d like some mentoring.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Chris2892
I did a level 3 engineering advanced apprenticeship, which is equivalent to your BTEC, but with on the job training and without a distinguishing grade (well done on the distinction!).

I went on to change employer in order to pursue a Degree Apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering, working in medical devices (skeletal reconstruction) - research and development.

I couldn’t recommend this enough if the apprenticeship setting works for you. You don’t need engineering related qualification, just the equivalent level qualification, so you’re at a major advantage if you stay in engineering.

Happy to answer questions, or, I could help with applications and CV in private chat if you’d like some mentoring.

hi, I have applied to Siemens for engineering apprenticeship (level 3), I may have a games assessment if successful, is there any way to prepare/practice? Is it maths/aptitude, or cognitive please? Any other advice appreciated. Thank you
Original post by Linc11
hi, I have applied to Siemens for engineering apprenticeship (level 3), I may have a games assessment if successful, is there any way to prepare/practice? Is it maths/aptitude, or cognitive please? Any other advice appreciated. Thank you

Hey, congratulations on making it through to the assessments.

Each employer assesses these things differently, so I’d never be able to give you a straight answer.

I’d prepare in general, using “assessment days” as a search term.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Hey, congratulations on making it through to the assessments.

Each employer assesses these things differently, so I’d never be able to give you a straight answer.

I’d prepare in general, using “assessment days” as a search term.

thank you!
Original post by Miiiya

There are many different engineering specialties you can apply for.

I also did my BTEC level 3 in engineering and went on to do a level 6 degree apprenticeship in manufacturing engineering. It seems like it has been a good fit for me and I intend to work within manufacturing until the end of my apprenticeship and then ideally as a manufacturing engineer.
Reply 7

I did BTEC level 3 advanced diploma in advanced manufacturing engineering and likely to get a DDD as I calculated it what should I write on CV to interest employers as im trynna take a apprenticeship route? And do you have advice?
Reply 8
Original post by H5500
I did BTEC level 3 advanced diploma in advanced manufacturing engineering and likely to get a DDD as I calculated it what should I write on CV to interest employers as im trynna take a apprenticeship route? And do you have advice?

Your CV should be tailored to the role, clearly evidencing relevant skills, achievements, and show how that role is the next natural step in your career/education.

Spend time reflecting on the qualities you’ve demonstrated with the achievements you have. The DDD is more than a grade and it doesn’t speak about you personally as a unique candidate, show what it took to obtain it.
For example, if you got poor GCSE results, use your DDD as evidence of your passion and how you thrive in engineering study.

You can use skills, achievements, and a short introduction/bio to tie back to what’s in your hobbies, education and employment sections.

If you lack work experience. Experience is experience, there’s plenty of hobbies/volunteering/life events you can use as examples to demonstrate transferable skills.
Reply 9
Your CV should be tailored to the role, clearly evidencing relevant skills, achievements, and show how that role is the next natural step in your career/education.

Spend time reflecting on the qualities you’ve demonstrated with the achievements you have. The DDD is more than a grade and it doesn’t speak about you personally as a unique candidate, show what it took to obtain it.
For example, if you got poor GCSE results, use your DDD as evidence of your passion and how you thrive in engineering study.

You can use skills, achievements, and a short introduction/bio to tie back to what’s in your hobbies, education and employment sections.

If you lack work experience. Experience is experience, there’s plenty of hobbies/volunteering/life events you can use as examples to demonstrate transferable skills.

Yh literally today I went to a car garage and they have contracts with various companies to fix their cars and vans I think ambulances and stuff do really looking forward for it. How hard do u think it is.
Reply 10
Original post by H12355
Yh literally today I went to a car garage and they have contracts with various companies to fix their cars and vans I think ambulances and stuff do really looking forward for it. How hard do u think it is.

And applied for Heathrow BA work experience in engineering
Original post by H12355

It’s as hard as you make it.
The more you enjoy the work the easier it is.

But you also need to be proactive and get into the apprentice mentality; that you’re there to learn. Treat everyone as a potential teacher and throw the ego out the door. Life will be much easier when you respect the time and effort individuals give to teach (this is usually the biggest cost to the employer).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending