The Student Room Group

Want to switch to a different course.

I currently hold an offer for Computer Science but have realised I want to pursue Architecture. Do you think it's possible for me to switch departments, I think I have more past achievements relevant to architecture than CS to be honest, and my A-levels match the entrance criteria. I just want to know if a switch like this is feasible. Is it worth me emailing?
Original post by anon_ymous123
I currently hold an offer for Computer Science but have realised I want to pursue Architecture. Do you think it's possible for me to switch departments, I think I have more past achievements relevant to architecture than CS to be honest, and my A-levels match the entrance criteria. I just want to know if a switch like this is feasible. Is it worth me emailing?

At this stage you would be better ringing before. Normally if it is the same university you would just ask and if they have spaces and you are suitable then will will facilitate it. If it is at a different university you would need to decline ALL offers you hold and apply through extra. What I am not sure of is whether you might need something more in terms of architecture such as a portfolio. Maybe @PQ can advise on this.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
At this stage you would be better ringing before. Normally if it is the same university you would just ask and if they have spaces and you are suitable then will will facilitate it. If it is at a different university you would need to decline ALL offers you hold and apply through extra. What I am not sure of is whether you might need something more in terms of architecture such as a portfolio. Maybe @PQ can advise on this.

The specific course I am trying to switch to is at the University of Bath (same as my CS offer), and they don't require a portfolio I don't think, though an art/design A-level is preferred (I take double Maths and Physics). I have participated in some projects/competitions so hopefully that helps? Is ringing better than emailing? Thank you.
The specific course I am trying to switch to is at the University of Bath (same as my CS offer), and they don't require a portfolio I don't think, though an art/design A-level is preferred (I take double Maths and Physics). I have participated in some projects/competitions so hopefully that helps? Is ringing better than emailing? Thank you.

Yes because you will get an immediate reply and they can tell you whether they have spaces on architecture or not. You can then follow it up with an email. Some universities take ages applying to emails so it is better to ring at this time of year.

Hi there,

The best thing to do is to contact admissions of the university either through email or calling. There is a chance of being able to switch courses, but this is dependent on the university requirements, whether there is space on the course and just whether the university allows. It is worth asking but not guaranteed.

Good luck !
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending