The Student Room Group

How can I get an IT job with no experience (entry level)?

Just wondering if anybody was able to get an entry level IT job without any actual IT experience? I have been with the NHS in admin the past 8 months and am trying to move to the IT industry (with a first in computer science degree) but cant seem to get anything without experience. Any advice? Is it worth completing any IT courses (e.g ITIL) to help boost my chances? (I partly have a ccna networking certificate, is it worth doing the whole thing?). Would greatly appreciate any response.
you can try
If you're already in NHS try and get a move within the organisation to something closer in IT, even if its not technical, and then make a fuss and shuffle around there. It's the NHS, so ultimately no one cares and they'll happily put a fishmonger in the IT department so long as you fill in the application correctly. Hopefully that will be a way to get some experience, otherwise it's going to be the long road from helpdesk roles upward - or trying some self employment to claim as experience.
Original post by Trinculo
If you're already in NHS try and get a move within the organisation to something closer in IT, even if its not technical, and then make a fuss and shuffle around there. It's the NHS, so ultimately no one cares and they'll happily put a fishmonger in the IT department so long as you fill in the application correctly. Hopefully that will be a way to get some experience, otherwise it's going to be the long road from helpdesk roles upward - or trying some self employment to claim as experience.

Yeah have been applying for helpdesk roles in NHS, its the best I can prob get at this stage. Will have the occasional check elsewhere but think your right about looking in the NHS for the time being - appreciate the help!
You need to decide what area of IT you are taking about because it is a broad spectrum. Are you talking about help desk support, technician role, working on IT projects as a developer, tester, business analyst, project manager? Without answering this clarity you are wasting your time.

Now you mention ITIL, so I can only guess you are talking about help desk.

You are right your computer science degree is not going to help you, you need applicable practical skills too. Your best bet is to volunteer at a charity t like Computer Aid International or similar because they train you to fix, upgrade and maintain computers. Then this skill you can put on your CV, your CV needs to show a lot of passion to compensate for your lack of experience, to the point where somebody will take a chance on you. All you need is a chance, the second and third job is then easy to get.

Apply for entry level helpdesk or entry level roles within the NHS, because you work with an NHS trust already you are more relatable at interviews. Just have a very good story as to why you are transitioning to IT from an Admin, NHS is generally more willing to give you a chance than the cut throat private sector.

On the side I would get some basic certifications, A+, Network+ CCNA, MCSA. You don't all of them at once, get two and build up your certifications whilst in the role itself.

Good luck

(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending