The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i hope i turn into dr. cox so i can hate loving my wife who cheats on me!
Reply 21
i want to become dr cox so i can have a "doable" wife who i hate loving
Reply 22
whoops double post
Reply 23
$uperNova
To be fair though, Scrubs does *sometimes* touch on quite serious issues, more than most comedy shows i think...

Yesh of course as someone in care, my dear lady makes me cry my tits off nearly as much as the xmas epsiode of royal family.That bit is real I agree.

Thing is it is understandable if scrubs makes you want to help people,or if it starts off the idea of healthcare as long as you go on too see if your right.:yep:
Reply 24
I realllly like scrubs but i if there is anyone who got into medical school by saying that in any kind of serious tone that that's why they decided to do med or even if it played a role in it, then i hope they die. :biggrin:
reikazen
only program drama/comedy that ive seen that is true to its picture is No angels.

"Bodies" was hailed as the closest thing to the real NHS in terms of T.V drama.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398427/

One comment:

"The finale of Bodies has just aired in the UK and I can say without doubt that this is the most compelling and tense drama to come out of Britain for a very long time. Combining an acting and shooting style both muscular and assured in execution; a brave, gripping, convincing script and appropriately realistic prosthetics, Bodies is hard to beat in its genre. With all the colourless, vapid dross being churned out on British TV nowadays, it seems almost unbelievable that the BBC in its wisdom saw fit to axe it.

Max Beesley brings a riveting, pinched intensity in his outstanding portrayal as hard-done-to doc Rob Lake struggling in a sea of incompetence, dishonesty and sheer managerial mediocrity. His central, career-defining role in tandem with oleaginous Dr Whitman (Keith Allen), comely foils Donna Rix (Neve McIntosh), Polly Grey (Tamzin Malleson) and his nemesis, the pusillanimous, dangerous Roger Hurley (Patrick Baladi), provides the viewer with an at times uncomfortable but undeniably unmissable experience.

There is no sentiment at work here, no shirking away from numerous, unpalatable aspects of the British NHS or dilution of the viscera involved in child delivery. Bodies is destined to remain a classic TV series; a far cry from the cloying sloppiness and user-friendly mollycoddling of, say, the BBC's Casualty. Closer in concept to ER yet far superior in the sheer quality of the conflict on screen, Bodies packs a bloody punch as a tremendous watching experience which has yet to be unsurpassed in medical drama."

But I don't think anyone should base their desire to become a Dr. on a television programme.
bodies was ****. it was filmed in highroyds hospital (now defunct) in leeds.
Reply 27
I like Scrubs, more than i like a lot of medical dramas because it doesn't try to be something that it isn't. Its not a realistic interpretation of life in a hospital and it isn't trying to be.

The only other one that I like is House which is amazing! Casualty and ER just annoy me.

Obviously mentioning TV as an influencing factor in why you wanted to be a doctor is probably not the most sensible. The only situation that I can think of where it might be useful is to say that your experience in the hospital was different from that portrayed on TV and then maybe get into a discussion about why that might lead to unrealistic expectations on the patients part (Which is what one of my friends talked about). However it is probably better to steer clear completely.
Reply 28
Sorry but the OP has spouted BS here. No serious medical students apply to do medicine because its like scrubs, and no idiot would say it in an interview anyway, so the OP is clearly just getting worked up over nothing.

And the 'insults' to male nurses just proves that you do not understand Scrubs at all. Many characters insulted Nurse Flowers, but thats just each characters views. The nurse in question was not portrayed in a negative light at all, if you have dificulty grasping a concept as simple as that, medicine probably won't work out for you...
Scrubs is so boring now that I can't be bothered. Apparently Zach Braff is leaving the show as well, so it's going to suck even more. I watch House and Grey's Anatomy, both are very entertaining. Grey's Anatomy sometimes touch on some moral issues that are worth thinking about, but everything else is just entertainment.
Reply 30
Actually, I think the first two series are one of the better portrayals of being at the bottom of the hospital pile. Yeah, now he's an Attending they've kinda given up on a lot of the medicine and the over-written backstories are making it unwatchable unless you've seen every bloody minute of it but I've rewatched the early ones on E4 in the last few weeks (After first seeing them in 2002) and they're still very very good.

Bodies was good (Again, particularly the first series) but it suffered from the same thing that a lot of "Realistic" medical shows do, that it saw negativity and darkness as a virtue. Yes, things go horribly wrong, you hate a lot of other staff, you have constant inter-department conflicts and the management will make you want to die but Scrubs is the only thing that seemed to get across that beneath all the jaded, cynical crap the health service is still run by people who are passionate about their work and basically enjoy themselves. I mean, I'm on the worst placement I've ever had at the moment and not enjoying things at all day-to-day but if I didn't still think this was the best job in the world for me, I'd quit tomorrow.
Reply 31
Dutchess of Doncaster
"Bodies" was hailed as the closest thing to the real NHS in terms of T.V drama.
That and Cardiac Arrest.

However, you'd be surprised how close Scrubs and Green Wing can be to real life.
Reply 32
DaveJ
Apparantly the producers noticed that, so in one episode's opening titles, someone turns over the X-Ray, never seen that episode though.
They changed it for the second series but they couldn't get it to gel as well as the original so they binned it for the third and subsequent.
Reply 33
AWZC
Sorry but the OP has spouted BS here. No serious medical students apply to do medicine because its like scrubs, and no idiot would say it in an interview anyway, so the OP is clearly just getting worked up over nothing.

And the 'insults' to male nurses just proves that you do not understand Scrubs at all. Many characters insulted Nurse Flowers, but thats just each characters views. The nurse in question was not portrayed in a negative light at all, if you have dificulty grasping a concept as simple as that, medicine probably won't work out for you...

Repeat after me , Every good nurse on scrubs wants to be a doctor LOL =P.

and btw Its not that stupid concept , I bet people have mentioned about scrubs , people say stupid **** like that all the time, I mean you just posted that dint you.GTFO
if being a doctor was like it is on greenwing i would want to be a doctor.
Annaconda
if being a doctor was like it is on greenwing i would want to be a doctor.

:love:
Reply 36
scrubs is unfunny and appeals only to people who have the sense of humour of a 7 year old.

discuss.
Higgy90
scrubs is unfunny and appeals only to people who have the sense of humour of a 7 year old.

discuss.

I think you're still at that stage of toddlerhood where you haven't realised people have different tastes.

Discuss.
Reply 38
AWZC

My thoughts exactly :yep:
Reply 39
Higgy90 sucks.

Discuss.

Latest

Trending

Trending