The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Dont have required GCSE’s for course but got unconditional offer

I applied via UCAS for Criminology at Kingston. In the course information its required that I have certain GCSE’s but due to personal circumstances ie; my mental health at the time, and being a carer to my disabled mother I don’t hold any GCSE’s at all. I only have a BTEC in level 2 performing arts. Today, via email, I have received an unconditional offer and was just wondering if there’s any likelihood that this is a mistake. I applied on the off chance and whilst grateful, I am sceptical if it really is an acceptance or has been an error of not looking at my application fully. It hasn’t been updated on UCAS yet.
Original post by Kitttkatt01
I applied via UCAS for Criminology at Kingston. In the course information its required that I have certain GCSE’s but due to personal circumstances ie; my mental health at the time, and being a carer to my disabled mother I don’t hold any GCSE’s at all. I only have a BTEC in level 2 performing arts. Today, via email, I have received an unconditional offer and was just wondering if there’s any likelihood that this is a mistake. I applied on the off chance and whilst grateful, I am sceptical if it really is an acceptance or has been an error of not looking at my application fully. It hasn’t been updated on UCAS yet.

Call/email the uni and ask them if you’re unsure. Nobody on TSR is going to be able to give you a specific answer to your specific circumstances about your specific university.
(edited 2 years ago)
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Until an offer comes through UCAS then it's not official.

If you get an unconditional offer then it's actually irrelevant whether it was an error or not, (they could only retract it with your permission).

I would advise you to await UCAS Hub to update.
Reply 3

Call them (after hub has updated), but I suspect it is correct. You might have not met their "standard" requirements but you have mitigating circumstances and they are free to adjust as they see fit. It would not be conditional unless you are currently doing qualifications that they can set conditions on.
(edited 2 years ago)
Important: I would not call them before you get a decision via hub

Why? Because if it is an error, they can still revisit it and decide not to give you an offer. If they send a formal decision via UCAS then they can't retract it as above.

(@Shadowblizzard, @lalexm - just an FYI for you both, the advice to call is sound, but may draw the uni's attention to an error that may be beneficial to the OP, so better to wait until they can't backtrack.)
Original post by Admit-One

Why? Because if it is an error, they can still revisit it and decide not to give you an offer. If they send a formal decision via UCAS then they can't retract it as above.

(@Shadowblizzard, @lalexm - just an FYI for you both, the advice to call is sound, but may draw the uni's attention to an error that may be beneficial to the OP, so better to wait until they can't backtrack.)

So you would rather the OP get onto a course that they might not be able to cope with, because it usually requires certain qualifications? Yes if it is unconditional on track then there’s nothing the university can do about it, but then why put yourself in a position where you don’t have the skills to do the course?

A teacher once said to me, “Just because you can do something, it doesn’t mean you should”. If it is a mistake then these things happen, but advising the OP not to draw the uni’s attention to someone who may lack the English and maths skills to complete the course is very unwise in my opinion, and a total waste of the OP’s time and tuition fees. Maybe the uni has decided that they don’t want the GCSEs, then great, but not checking and then realising you’ve done all this for nothing when you get there is pointless.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One

Agree. I've even updated my original post to reflect this :smile:
Original post by Shadowblizzard
So you would rather the OP get onto a course that they might not be able to cope with, because it usually requires certain qualifications? Yes if it is unconditional on track then there’s nothing the university can do about it, but then why put yourself in a position where you don’t have the skills to do the course?

A teacher once said to me, “Just because you can do something, it doesn’t mean you should”. If it is a mistake then these things happen, but advising the OP not to draw the uni’s attention to someone who may lack the English and maths skills to complete the course is very unwise in my opinion, and a total waste of the OP’s time and tuition fees. Maybe the uni has decided that they don’t want the GCSEs, then great, but not checking and then realising you’ve done all this for nothing when you get there is pointless.

I'm not recommending that they don't check with the uni. I'm recommending that they only check once they've actually received a decision rather than a comms email that may itself be an error. It's not uncommon for candidates with non-standard academic backgrounds to receive offers, or get additional support with Eng and Maths once they enrol so there's every chance that any pending offer is a genuine one. The timing of their follow up call isn't going to change whether they're capable or not and presumably their Level 3 quals are in the ballpark.

Whether or not it's going to be worth them attending is presumably something the the OP asked themselves before applying, (and I would have checked with the uni regarding their lack of GCSE's ahead of doing that, but that's by-the-by).
Personally I'd wait for UCAS to update your mitigating circumstances may have played a part as may a good academic reference and PS that's what happened with me I got on to electronics with very poor GCSE maths grades although I had worked hard in collage to get:

1/ City and Giulds communication an numeracy + key skills2 IT
2/ BTEC first diploma in engineering
3/BTEC national diploma in electronics and computing
so I did have that going for me if your predicted grades are good that may have swayed them too wait for UCAS to update if it doesn't then don't worry about it they know what they're doing .

Hi, An unconditional offer is generic. Providing you meet all the criteria such as GCSE's, medical checks, DBS checks (if required), you will then be given a 'conditional offer'. If you do not send these in before the required date your place will be given somebody else who meets the criteria.

Maybe because of your personal circumstances they may have giving you a contextual offer. From what I read from google, a contextual offer is given to people experiencing 3 years of care, I don' exactly know what it mean by that but it could be.
Original post by saafi456
Maybe because of your personal circumstances they may have giving you a contextual offer. From what I read from google, a contextual offer is given to people experiencing 3 years of care, I don' exactly know what it mean by that but it could be.

In essence, a contextual offer is a conditional offer where the needed grades are lowered. It can be from 1 to 3 grades lower.

For example, my contextual for saint andrews is AAB from AAA, whereas if I were to get a newcastle offer, it would be BBB instead of AAA. The leniency varies in between universities.

Universities also have different criteria for being WP. Some only want state school students, some will accept private due to bursaries, etc. The purpose is to increase access to education by acknowledging that some students who have faced difficulties will have their B mean just as much as an A* from someone who had acess to a study space, regular meals, supportive parents/carers, free time ( not being a carer/ ill themselves ), able bodied, etc.

This is different from what OP has, which is extenuating circumstances. These do not require you to fulfill the stated criteria. You could be the richest, healthiest happiest student, and if your parent dies before the exam or you catch a bad flu, a few extra marks are awarded, usually up to 5%. In other cases, such as OP, where exams were taken but impacted without special consideration ( marks not added as said above, either due to OP not contacting the exam board or not being aware it was an option ) forms can be submitted to the unversity that state why the qualifications not achieved or achieved but not to minimum requirements were difficult for the student. They can then weigh up other aspects of the application, and their own responsibility for access to education, and the competitiveness of their course, and make a decision.

Hope that's helpful!
Original post by Pigletfarm1
Hi, An unconditional offer is generic. Providing you meet all the criteria such as GCSE's, medical checks, DBS checks (if required), you will then be given a 'conditional offer'. If you do not send these in before the required date your place will be given somebody else who meets the criteria.

Hi, this isn't how I'm aware it works in terms of it being turned into a conditional offer. My brother recieved an unconditional and then didn't make his offer ( due to the muck up with the algorithm assigned grades ) and only had them rectified after he had already accepted a place at the uni.

Original post by saafi456

Hi! I've replied above explaining :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending