The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Junkminx
Almost def going to Sheffield. Loved the open day for the uni, but was actually applying for dental school (long story, actually have an offer for this too), so haven't seen the orthoptics department. What's it like? Any differences between Sheffield and Liverpool departments?

The Liverpool orthoptics selection day was very interesting and liked it a lot too. They both have a lot to offer, so it's a hard choice. I tried to recruit some more people for TSR there, but no new people :frown:

There's always one...:rolleyes:

Seriously, though, good luck in Sheffield, Junkminx!

Kiyoko
Im withdrawing my app from sheffield when i get home! Just as soon as i calm down over Micorsoft Word Deleting my dissertation conclusion just as i finnished it!!!! GAHHHHHH! :mad:

Another reason to hate Microsoft! :p: I'm having trouble with Word too. It refuses to open my Spanish presentation, but hey, what can you do?

FoundinTransmission
No idea, I didn't even go and look 'cause I didn't wanna go.
I just thought it was pretty boss considering how many of us apply for the course [for instance compared to dentistry] and how far along our little thread has come along.:biggrin:

Yup...our thread is the most active on this little subforum...which is impressive. I'm seeing a few threads about 2010 applications. I guess it'll be a few months before an 'Orthoptics Applicants '10!' thread appears. That's gonna be weird.
Reply 181
Oladz
Frankly, I found Liverpool's orthoptics open day FAR more impressive and they went into more detail about what would be studied, how its assessed, what the workload was like ...

If the level of organisation/imformation provided of the open days was anything to go by, the Liverpool course is better.

Oh and thanks fo the rep peeps, i try :smile:

To be fair Sheffield's admissions tutor is on maternity leave, so whoever is covering may not have been as well prepared to do the open day. Liverpool day was very good though.

I shall be all alone at Sheffield with no fellow threadees :frown: Maybe I got an unconditional because no else applied :eek:
Reply 182
junkminx
To be fair Sheffield's admissions tutor is on maternity leave, so whoever is covering may not have been as well prepared to do the open day. Liverpool day was very good though.

I shall be all alone at Sheffield with no fellow threadees :frown: Maybe I got an unconditional because no else applied :eek:

suppose so, are you post grad btw? cuz i cant be bothered to look through this thread :lazy:
Reply 183
I'm a graduate of psychology. Really excited to go back to uni :biggrin:

Thinking about it, whoever was in charge should have made a real effort to make the orthoptics open day good since there are so few candidates that both Liverpool and Sheffield are in stiff competition for them.

I only discovered orthoptics existed on February 26th!
rocketeer
Yup...our thread is the most active on this little subforum...which is impressive. I'm seeing a few threads about 2010 applications. I guess it'll be a few months before an 'Orthoptics Applicants '10!' thread appears. That's gonna be weird.

If it all, there's very little information on TSR about Orthoptics, my friend Greg seems to be one of the only Orthoptists who's posted on here tbh. I just started this to attract everyone to it, I didn't think there'd be others tbh =P. 'Cause so few people apply I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't another one. I think it usually kinda blends into the Optom one?
Reply 185
Anyone heard anything more about bursaries etc?

I'm still not sure where I stand with this. Are we entitled to a means tested bursary from the NHS in addition to having tuition fees covered?

It's making my student finance application a little more complex :p:
Reply 186
rocketeer
Anyone heard anything more about bursaries etc?

I'm still not sure where I stand with this. Are we entitled to a means tested bursary from the NHS in addition to having tuition fees covered?

It's making my student finance application a little more complex :p:

Your entitled to a Liverpool uni bursary, an NHS Bursary and NHS paid tuition fees!

Im not 100% sure about the liverpool bursary but if you are entitled to it you'll be told so long as you and your parents don't tick the box at the end where it asks if you want to share you details!!

Has anyone applied for tuition fees or NHSbursay yet? have no idea when were ment to, i know anna said we get sent a form but there leaving it pretty late!:eek:
Reply 187
Kiyoko do you know what we get as mature students on our second degrees? I know they pay the course fees, but will we get any other help?
Reply 188
junkminx
Kiyoko do you know what we get as mature students on our second degrees? I know they pay the course fees, but will we get any other help?

after much digging i have found out that we also get NHS bursary (tho its dependant on income obviously) and you can apply to the SLC for a basic loan which is just over £2000 a year, non income assessed.

I don't know whether I'm eligible for the uni bursary. but I've applied anyway just in case.

Hope that helps.
Reply 189
I accepted my unconditional to Sheffield! OMG I'm going back to uni. I think I'm more excited than the first time.

That said I feel a bit conflicted. I called up Liverpool to thank Anna for her help and she was more pleased to hear from me than the admissions at Sheffield when I said I'd accepted. Overall I think Sheffield's a better fit for me and everyone I know has been saying that, but I do think orthoptics at Liverpool is an impressive department. I haven't even seen the one at Sheffield which is a bit scary. The uni is great though. This is all so weird - I applied in October planning to go into dentistry and not even knowing this career existed!
Reply 190
Ive just firmed Liverpool :eek3:
Oladz
Ive just firmed Liverpool :eek3:

Yay! I firmed mine the other week, college forced me to put Sheffield as insurance, though there is little point. Ahh well.
I'm glad of these easter holidays though! Last proper break before we've gotta knuckle down...the joy :p:
Reply 192
foundintransmission
Yay! I firmed mine the other week, college forced me to put Sheffield as insurance, though there is little point. Ahh well.
I'm glad of these easter holidays though! Last proper break before we've gotta knuckle down...the joy :p:

Yeah, I put sheffield as an insurance too. I suppose it is pointless, as they apparently drop their grades to CCC in clearing (provided there are places!)which is still only the same as Liverpool.

I need to get a C in chemistry which is going to be quite difficult, im already on a C in biology which is a bit of a help, i know what i need to focus my revision on.
Oladz
Yeah, I put sheffield as an insurance too. I suppose it is pointless, as they apparently drop their grades to CCC in clearing (provided there are places!)which is still only the same as Liverpool.

Yeah exactly, I tried to explain this to my form tutor, and then my group tutor and none of them could seem to grasp it, it's a bit silly tbh.
I need to get a C in chemistry which is going to be quite difficult, im already on a C in biology which is a bit of a help, i know what i need to focus my revision on.

I'm the opposite! I'm 0.5% of a B in Chem, Biology, well, lets just say there's a couple of resits involved :p: I got an A in general studies though, if only they accepted it...
Reply 194
foundintransmission
Yeah exactly, I tried to explain this to my form tutor, and then my group tutor and none of them could seem to grasp it, it's a bit silly tbh.

I'm the opposite! I'm 0.5% of a B in Chem, Biology, well, lets just say there's a couple of resits involved :p: I got an A in general studies though, if only they accepted it...

Awh peoples! dont panic is my best advice for A levels. seriously, i reckon you'll all do grand! I was ruuuubbbbish at chem so im afraid im no help there but im good at the old biology tho if anyone needs any help?!

I dunno about sheffield.. im not paying for a CRB check so i don't think they'll keep my offer open really! If i could remember my ucas password id withdraw my application! lol
Reply 195

I read that while many unis do not accept general studies they will consider you more favourably if do well in it and you miss your grades slightly in another subject :smile:

Orthoptics need people badly. Would they really turn down someone studying the right subjects, with a genuine interest in it, just because they miss a grade? Surely that selection day plays some role in everything as they can note whether they like you or not.
Kiyoko
Awh peoples! dont panic is my best advice for A levels. seriously, i reckon you'll all do grand! I was ruuuubbbbish at chem so im afraid im no help there but im good at the old biology tho if anyone needs any help?!

I dunno about sheffield.. im not paying for a CRB check so i don't think they'll keep my offer open really! If i could remember my ucas password id withdraw my application! lol

Lol I'll be reet, just gotta get me head down and stuff =].
Same, I'm not paying for my CRB check, I don't see why I should either tbh, when I'm not even gunna go there!
junkminx
I read that while many unis do not accept general studies they will consider you more favourably if do well in it and you miss your grades slightly in another subject :smile:

Orthoptics need people badly. Would they really turn down someone studying the right subjects, with a genuine interest in it, just because they miss a grade? Surely that selection day plays some role in everything as they can note whether they like you or not.

Yeah I know, that's the only good thing about it tbh! I only dropped one mark on one paper, and 8 in another xD Well, I have around 3 years experience in optics, and I'm doing Bio chem and Maths in college along with a couple of weeks work experience with children and shadowing in orthoptics, I have a pretty good application behind me tbh, so even id I do slip up a bit in Bio, I'd hope they're willing to still take me on. It's just a bit worrying that what I'm struggling with is Bio, and it is a biological subject. We're starting eyes soon though :biggrin: At long last! The only reason I took the damn subject :p:
Reply 197
Where are peeps thinking of picking for accommodation? Im thinking greenbank from what ive read from people on tsr.
Oladz
Where are peeps thinking of picking for accommodation? Im thinking greenbank from what ive read from people on tsr.

Yeah I've heard quite alot of people mention greenbank. I was under the impression you lived somewhat local, I presume I'm wrong? :p:
Reply 199
Oladz

Greenbanks the posher one, had a rep as the more boring one when i was there but that changes from year to year id assume. I also applied there in my first year but they seem to give priority to med students, gap year students, vets and dentists sadly. Tho i had a blast at carnatic (rankin). The general feel is carnatics a much closer knit community. But like is said, changes year to year probs... get ready for the chanting on the bus from carni people tho haha. fun times! I do miss it!:yep:

Latest