The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Kiyoko
Yeah getting a house in 2nd year is well exciting! :biggrin: tis great to finaly live in your own house properly!Currently im panicking about where to live next year as everyone i live with at the mo is finishing physiology this year and going off to different places!

As for an orthoptics PhD..i dont know much about it to be honest... I know that with Physiology the PhD's are varying lengths... 4 years mostly i think and often people go to diff unis to do it but obv as only liv and sheff do Orthoptics i dont know that u cud go to many other places sadly..tho i did read somewhere about maybe going abroad! :cool:

You going to the open day on your own? i am sadly! I shall feel way nervous being on my own! :s-smilie: If anyone fancys it we should go for a coffee or something after... then we can all panic and worry face to face haha!:woo:

(ohh and about your brother...Tell him physiologys ace! its been good fun and the tutors here are lovely!)

Yeah, I mean I am a bit worried about missing out on the nightlife, but I went to someones halls in Manc the other day and it was pretty morbid really =/. I think I'll stay at home for just my first year, seeing as it isn't that far away :cool: Aww that sucks, I'm sure you'll find somewhere though :biggrin:.

Oooh interesting! I'll see if I can find that PDF and you can let me know if you can get any clear information out of it :p: Ahh it's bookmarked, I'm actually that sad :biggrin: http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/brochures/health-sciences.pdf
On page 6 it has a table and it looks like it says a year full-time, but I thought PhD's where much longer than that! :eek:
Yeah I am, I spoke to my parents about it but they don't drive so it's not like I'd be getting a lift or anything, I asked my boyfriend too but I thought it might be a bit random taking him :p: So yupp. On my own! And that'd be boss. Get a big crewage together there, good times.
I will do! :biggrin: Dunno if he'll listen though! :p:
Reply 21
hello i was just wondering when u log onto track are u able to reply to offers even though i havent received all by offers because i can i thought i have to get all offers first help plz does anyone else have that on ucas track
shingy
hello i was just wondering when u log onto track are u able to reply to offers even though i havent received all by offers because i can i thought i have to get all offers first help plz does anyone else have that on ucas track

I'm able to reply to my offers, but that is because I have them all now. If you don't have all of your offers you cannot reply to them yet, that's why.
Oh sorry, I misread, you haven't got all of your offers yet but you can reply? Well..reply if you want? Wait if you want :p: It's up to you really isn't it? :biggrin:
I'm wondering whether to reply yet, but I'm thinking it's a bit early? Hmmm :s-smilie:
Reply 23
ok thanks
Reply 24
I've replied.. I put liverpool as firm and sheff as insurance.. but i dont think id go to sheff cause id rather stay in Liverpool now thati know the place and im all comfy here!

Sumone soo has to remind me about the liv open day too, cause i have mental amounts of work right now and a stupid exam on the 10th and i had completly forgotten about the open day untill like 4 seconds ago!! eeek! dotn want to miss it!!!
Kiyoko
I've replied.. I put liverpool as firm and sheff as insurance.. but i dont think id go to sheff cause id rather stay in Liverpool now thati know the place and im all comfy here!

Sumone soo has to remind me about the liv open day too, cause i have mental amounts of work right now and a stupid exam on the 10th and i had completly forgotten about the open day untill like 4 seconds ago!! eeek! dotn want to miss it!!!

I'm also putting liverpool down as my firm, and I don't know whether to just decline sheffield or not, because I don't want to go there at all, so I don't see the point tbh. College are stressing at me though and are trying to basically force me to go sheffield [god knows why] and now I need to have a meeting with my form tutor and head of year to explain why I'm doing that and what my back-up plan is if I don't get into liverpool. I dunno whether it's just me being a bit foolish, but why do I have to explain to them what I'm going to do!?:confused: ahh well.
Excited for the 17th though! :biggrin:
Reply 26
Hey!

Well its probs cause if u didnt get in to liverpool it looks bad on the college if u end up not going to uni, it effects there statistics and stuff.
I dunno tho, i feel the same as you, if i get into shef and not liv then i think atm i just wudnt go, but then you never know how your going to feel at the time do you? so perhaps keep it, just 'cause it dosnt affect you in any way to have it as ur insuracne choice whereas, come results, you never know, you mite end up kicking yourself if you turn it down.

Obv its whatever you feel comfortable doing tho and hopefully youl be going to liverpool anyway so it wont even matter! =)
Reply 27
got my offer to liverpool woo got all of them now
Reply 28
Congrats! :smile:
Reply 29
shingy
got my offer to liverpool woo got all of them now

hi IVE GOT AN OFFER FROM LIVERPOOL AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!
have they written to you inviting you to an open day thing in feb or march next year?
hannahcan
hi IVE GOT AN OFFER FROM LIVERPOOL AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!
have they written to you inviting you to an open day thing in feb or march next year?

Feb or March :eek: Am I being gormless, I'm pretty sure mine said December? *goes and looks*.
Yeah mine says december? Did everyone else get letters for the one next year?
Reply 31
foundintransmission
Feb or March :eek: Am I being gormless, I'm pretty sure mine said December? *goes and looks*.
Yeah mine says december? Did everyone else get letters for the one next year?

yes mine says 11th february for an open day/selection day. maybe theres two taking place????
hannahcan
yes mine says 11th february for an open day/selection day. maybe theres two taking place????

Yeah that would make sense, what's a selection day? I thought the day was to just show us around the department and give us a rough idea of what it's like and stuff? :smile:
Reply 33
foundintransmission
Yeah that would make sense, what's a selection day? I thought the day was to just show us around the department and give us a rough idea of what it's like and stuff? :smile:

Yeah, selection day sounds like they line you up and they pick who they want :biggrin: (and my form still hasn't gone off!, my form tutor has done my reference - know because ive seen it! but it says he hasnt started it on the UCAS website :confused: )
Oladz
Yeah, selection day sounds like they line you up and they pick who they want :biggrin: (and my form still hasn't gone off!, my form tutor has done my reference - know because ive seen it! but it says he hasnt started it on the UCAS website :confused: )

Haha, that's what I'm worried about! :p: But I already have my offer, they can't take it off me :biggrin:.
Yeah mine took a while too, in my college you send it to your form tutor who completes your reference, and it then gets sent to your head of year/assistant principle/college ucas person. Who checks everything through to make sure it's correct and then sends it off, maybe that's what you're waiting for? Liverpool where very quick to reply though, 3 days? Sheffield took a bit longer.
Reply 35
foundintransmission
Haha, that's what I'm worried about! :p: But I already have my offer, they can't take it off me :biggrin:.
Yeah mine took a while too, in my college you send it to your form tutor who completes your reference, and it then gets sent to your head of year/assistant principle/college ucas person. Who checks everything through to make sure it's correct and then sends it off, maybe that's what you're waiting for? Liverpool where very quick to reply though, 3 days? Sheffield took a bit longer.

Oh cool, thats probably whats happened then, cause i know my form has to go to the year office after my tutor has done my reference :yep:
Reply 36
foundintransmission

i think thats what we'll be doing as well

i read the letter and it said selection day and that we would be doing loads of tests and stuff-but once we've got an offer, we've got an offer-they cant just say no, otherwise they would have not given an offer or would have given an interview right?
hannahcan
i think thats what we'll be doing as well

i read the letter and it said selection day and that we would be doing loads of tests and stuff-but once we've got an offer, we've got an offer-they cant just say no, otherwise they would have not given an offer or would have given an interview right?

Yeah I presume so, my letter doesn't say anything about a selection day at all?
In order for you to make an informed decision about the program at the university, we would like to invite you to visit the Division of Orthoptics on Wednesday 17th Wecember 2008. The day will also allow you to meet staff and current students, perform a variety of clinical tests, take a tour of the campus and accommodation, and give you an opportunity to ask any questions you may have.

It then says a program of events and says about CRB checks and stuff like that. Throughout the letter it's just referred to as 'the day'. Nothing about selection day. It didn't even say open day, lol.
Oh well, I'm just excited for wednesday! Even though I feel proper ill atm, hopefully I'll feel better, and I'll remember which road to follow from lime street...hmmm. :p:

ED: just looking in the leaflet I got and at the beginning it says selection/visit days. :p:
Reply 38
Oladz

Other health science degrees have a selection day, you have group interviews and things like that, Orthoptics used to but changed it this year, so lucky us haha! W ejust get taken around the department and meet current students etc.

everyone looking forwad to it? how far are people traveling to get here?

:biggrin:
Kiyoko
Other health science degrees have a selection day, you have group interviews and things like that, Orthoptics used to but changed it this year, so lucky us haha! W ejust get taken around the department and meet current students etc.

Oh thank god, I was getting very stressy thinking they where gunna line us up and take our offers away :p:

Latest