The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know im a bit late to this thread...I've got a place on the orthoptics course at sheffield I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited :woo:
Reply 381
Chocolate_Cupcake
I know im a bit late to this thread...I've got a place on the orthoptics course at sheffield I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited :woo:

Congrats :biggrin:
Someone else going to Sheffield... how exciting! It's not far away now! :O
Reply 382
Hey everyone,
Thought I'd join this because I'm just about to start 3rd year Orthoptics at Liverpool and just incase anyone needed any help/advice/had any questions, I'm here and happy to help. I might not get back to you instantly, though I will try but seen as a lot of you have had a lot of questions on here I thought I could at least TRY and be some help!
If your going to Liverpool to study Orthoptics, ask me anything and I'll try and help, or ask someone who'll know, and if your going to Sheffield instead and have a question in general about orthoptics I'll try my best about that too, although I don't know much about your university, sorry!
I don't exactly know how to work this thing yet, I've just got the hang of reading your posts.
Sorry I'm late to come on this, it took a while for me to get an e-mail to activate an account on here, but Congrats to everyone who got a place!
I guess it's ok for me to post my name on here so you can find me on facebook and ask me anything?!? Its Alysha Molloy, so if you want to ask me anything and I don't reply on here then feel free to add or msg me.
x
Reply 383
AlyshaM*
Hey everyone,
Thought I'd join this because I'm just about to start 3rd year Orthoptics at Liverpool and just incase anyone needed any help/advice/had any questions, I'm here and happy to help. I might not get back to you instantly, though I will try but seen as a lot of you have had a lot of questions on here I thought I could at least TRY and be some help!
If your going to Liverpool to study Orthoptics, ask me anything and I'll try and help, or ask someone who'll know, and if your going to Sheffield instead and have a question in general about orthoptics I'll try my best about that too, although I don't know much about your university, sorry!
I don't exactly know how to work this thing yet, I've just got the hang of reading your posts.
Sorry I'm late to come on this, it took a while for me to get an e-mail to activate an account on here, but Congrats to everyone who got a place!
I guess it's ok for me to post my name on here so you can find me on facebook and ask me anything?!? Its Alysha Molloy, so if you want to ask me anything and I don't reply on here then feel free to add or msg me.
x

Hi Alysha :smile: Thanks for coming and offering your experience :smile: Are you enjoying the course?
I'm not going to Liverpool, but I'm guessing placements are probably pretty similar... so I was wondering if you could fill me in a bit about what they're like... especially how it works with living away from uni and all that...
Thanks!
Reply 384
Got my documents back from NHS bursarys today! Finally got it all sorted. Anybody else been told how much there getting yet? and anybody heard anything about tuition fees?
Reply 385
MiriamJ
Hi Alysha :smile: Thanks for coming and offering your experience :smile: Are you enjoying the course?
I'm not going to Liverpool, but I'm guessing placements are probably pretty similar... so I was wondering if you could fill me in a bit about what they're like... especially how it works with living away from uni and all that...
Thanks!

Hey Miriam,
I love the course actually, its hard work and very full on but at least I know I'm working towards a career at the end of it, not just going to be wondering what to work as, or if I'll find a job when I finish like students on other courses!
Placements are good, I can only tell you from my experience and everyone sees things differently but I enjoy them. I like them because you take what you learn in lectures and put it into practice, and because of that, the lectures and "theory" makes more sense. You also get to speak to qualified orthoptists and they give you little bits of knowledge you don't exactly learn at uni, just little tips and things.
For us, we get given "learning objectives" to complete when were on placement, which tie in with what we've been learning in Uni at the time, so we get the practical aspect of what we're taught.
I don't know exactly how it works with Sheffield, but at our Uni, we get told where we are going on placement, then get advised on where we can stay while we are there. We then usually ring that place up and book our accommodation, or the hospital were going to, or the Uni do most of it for us and we just confirm we're staying there, and how much it costs. We arrange our own travel, I usually drive, and then we arrive! lol.
After the placement we then submit a form to the orthoptics secretary, to claim back out accommodation costs and travel expenses. I know that its a bit different to Sheffield in that aspect because you don;t pay for placements? I think that's right?!?
Hope I helped a little.
Any other questions let me know :smile:
xx
Reply 386
AlyshaM*
Hey Miriam,
I love the course actually, its hard work and very full on but at least I know I'm working towards a career at the end of it, not just going to be wondering what to work as, or if I'll find a job when I finish like students on other courses!
Placements are good, I can only tell you from my experience and everyone sees things differently but I enjoy them. I like them because you take what you learn in lectures and put it into practice, and because of that, the lectures and "theory" makes more sense. You also get to speak to qualified orthoptists and they give you little bits of knowledge you don't exactly learn at uni, just little tips and things.
For us, we get given "learning objectives" to complete when were on placement, which tie in with what we've been learning in Uni at the time, so we get the practical aspect of what we're taught.
I don't know exactly how it works with Sheffield, but at our Uni, we get told where we are going on placement, then get advised on where we can stay while we are there. We then usually ring that place up and book our accommodation, or the hospital were going to, or the Uni do most of it for us and we just confirm we're staying there, and how much it costs. We arrange our own travel, I usually drive, and then we arrive! lol.
After the placement we then submit a form to the orthoptics secretary, to claim back out accommodation costs and travel expenses. I know that its a bit different to Sheffield in that aspect because you don;t pay for placements? I think that's right?!?
Hope I helped a little.
xx

ooooh i didnt know we got the money back for accomodation, good stuff
Reply 387
Kiyoko
ooooh i didnt know we got the money back for accomodation, good stuff

Hey,
Yeah the problem is having the money in the first place to pay for it...and not every student gets money back, but I THINK if you get a NHS bursary, you can claim money back.
It does take a while to get it back tho, I was on placement til July in London and got the money back just now....and thats VERY quick for the NHS, usually its about 3 months, just to warn you.
Plus the money you get back depends on how much your accommodation is. If your rent is say £250 for the month, but you stay on placement somewhere that costs you £300, you'll only get the £250 back, they always pay you the cheapest back.
x
Reply 388
AlyshaM*
Hey Miriam,
Hope I helped a little.
xx

Thanks Alysha, that was really helpful :biggrin: Sounds like a good way to learn. Glad you're enjoying the course :smile: x
Reply 389
does anyone know if there is a page on facebook for orthoptics student
Reply 390
shingy

Don't think so, I've tried searching :frown:
Reply 391
shingy

hey, theres one for admission to orthoptics, but there isn't any others that I know of.
x
Reply 392
had anyone received a healh screening letter or email from liverpool because i have been reading the stuff they sent and i haven't, just checking if u guys have or am i just worrying for no reason?
shingy
had anyone received a healh screening letter or email from liverpool because i have been reading the stuff they sent and i haven't, just checking if u guys have or am i just worrying for no reason?

I haven't got one, I think kiyoko has though. :biggrin: So no worries, they'll probs sort that out when we get there?

Also, any Liverpool Orthoptics peoples, add me on fb, http://www.facebook.com/foundintransmission :p:
Reply 394
shingy

Sorry for butting in, but if you haven't got somethin that you think you should have in your freshers pack, then phone the orthoptics secretary like a week before to make sure you've been sent it cos some things just don't turn up before you need them.
x
AlyshaM*
Sorry for butting in, but if you haven't got somethin that you think you should have in your freshers pack, then phone the orthoptics secretary like a week before to make sure you've been sent it cos some things just don't turn up before you need them.
x

No one else has got one as far as I'm aware though, 'cept Kiyoko who had an unconditional and was already at Liverpool anyway?
Reply 396
ok cheers people
Reply 397
I still have no freshers pack, but was sent a health screening questionnaire thing today... and order form for a white coat XD
Reply 398
MiriamJ
I still have no freshers pack, but was sent a health screening questionnaire thing today... and order form for a white coat XD

Haha, hmm...still nothing for me. Something will arrive soon, probably.
MiriamJ

Did your health screen questionarie have a deadline for the 31st of July on it???

Latest