The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

York mature student accommodation

Im hopefully starting a course at york st john in sep 2022. Does anyone know of any accommodations for mature students (im 24 in September)
Original post by Ethamith98
Im hopefully starting a course at york st john in sep 2022. Does anyone know of any accommodations for mature students (im 24 in September)

Hello,

YSJ allows mature students on every accommodation site.

However, I believe 49 Clarence street gives mature and students with accessibility issues priority. Multiple sites such as St. John Central and Brickworks offer studios and some mature students will opt for this as they can be supported by YSJ accommodation but live independently.

However, I know plenty of mature students that stayed in halls and had a great time.

Lydia :smile:
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Reply 2

Same as me. I'm a prospective international postgraduate student hoping to start at Ysju in September 2022. I've applied for accommodation but the information I got is that it is not guaranteed for matured students. I'm searching for private accommodation.
Original post by Chivic
Same as me. I'm a prospective international postgraduate student hoping to start at Ysju in September 2022. I've applied for accommodation but the information I got is that it is not guaranteed for matured students. I'm searching for private accommodation.

Hello,

Age does not make a difference when it comes to accommodation offers. The university guarantees it for all first year students but they would try their best to get you a room too.

You would be more than welcome to choose any site but 49 Clarence street gives mature and students with accessibility issues priority.
Multiple sites such as St. John Central and Brickworks offer studios and some mature students will opt for this as they can be supported by YSJ accommodation but live independently.

Reply 4
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hello,

Age does not make a difference when it comes to accommodation offers. The university guarantees it for all first year students but they would try their best to get you a room too.

You would be more than welcome to choose any site but 49 Clarence street gives mature and students with accessibility issues priority.
Multiple sites such as St. John Central and Brickworks offer studios and some mature students will opt for this as they can be supported by YSJ accommodation but live independently.

Good to know then. I will wait to see the result. Is it advisable to get an accommodation in Leeds and be commuting to York for lectures? Thank you Lydia.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Chivic
Good to know then. I will wait to see the result. Is it advisable to get an accommodation in Leeds and be commuting to York for lectures? Thank you Lydia.

Honestly, I personally would not recommend it as that would end in both commuting fees and having to pay for accommodation at the same time. Also, whilst the journey isn't too long it could get a little tiresome and you would be reliant on trains.

There are lots of private sites - some of which are listed on our website here:
https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/study/accommodation/

You can also have a look at local estate agents that manage student properties to see what they have available. Some may even be looking for a single tenant to join them.
YSJ also has a Facebook page for students needing accommodation that is managed by our accommodation team. It has lots of one off rooms which could work for you!

Lyds
Reply 6
Honestly, I personally would not recommend it as that would end in both commuting fees and having to pay for accommodation at the same time. Also, whilst the journey isn't too long it could get a little tiresome and you would be reliant on trains.

There are lots of private sites - some of which are listed on our website here:
https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/study/accommodation/

You can also have a look at local estate agents that manage student properties to see what they have available. Some may even be looking for a single tenant to join them.
YSJ also has a Facebook page for students needing accommodation that is managed by our accommodation team. It has lots of one off rooms which could work for you!

Lyds

Please can I have the Facebook page detail? Thank you so much, I appreciate.
Original post by Chivic
Please can I have the Facebook page detail? Thank you so much, I appreciate.

Yes of course.

It is "Find a YSJ Housemate". You can tell it is the legitimate one as YSJ accommodation are the official admins.

Lydia
Reply 8
Yes of course.

It is "Find a YSJ Housemate". You can tell it is the legitimate one as YSJ accommodation are the official admins.

Lydia

Thank you Lydia. Please I would like to have some guidance on how it works in UK. If I sign a year contract do I need to pay for the one year rent in advance? Or do I pay quarterly or monthly?
Hi.I am Fahima Islam from Dhaka Bangladesh.This year I am going to Engineering university.Seeking advice for course and future career opportunities.
Original post by Chivic
Thank you Lydia. Please I would like to have some guidance on how it works in UK. If I sign a year contract do I need to pay for the one year rent in advance? Or do I pay quarterly or monthly?

Hello,

Apologies for my delayed response! I don't know how I missed that.

Rent is paid termly so in line with each loan drop. For example, you will pay for the first term of rent when the first installment of loan is given to you. I found this great as the rent came out before I could spend it!

Hello,

As Lydia mentioned the University offer mature student accommodation at 49 Clarence Street details can be found on the York St John website. I actually lived at 49 Clarence street in my first year. It was a really good option, really close to the university like a two minute walk. Also there was a real mix of ages. Most students were around 24/25

This maybe something worth looking into if not you could always look at private housing

Good luck with whatever you decide. York is a beautiful city to call home :smile:
Hello Lydia, i will also be resuming for my postgraduate studies by the endof thismonth in YSJ london campus buti need an affordable ensuite double room under 550pound monthly for myself and my husband. please if you or anyone here have aninformation on such accomodation kindly reach out to me here or (mod edit- email removed) regards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending