The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

University of Huddersfield Science Extended Degree leading to a BSc(Hons) Degree

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Asha2003
Yes they are I’ve applied to hudds to progress onto pharmacy

For the uni of Huddersfield admissions test what type of question should i revise or prepare for?
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by Ibby.f
For the uni of Huddersfield admissions test what type of question should i revise or prepare for?

I cant really remember the questions they had on the test but I do know it was really basic maths.
You’ll be fine, ik one person who did really bad on it but they accepted them anyway
Reply 42

I cant really remember the questions they had on the test but I do know it was really basic maths.
You’ll be fine, ik one person who did really bad on it but they accepted them anyway

Thnks asha
Hi is it quite hard to get 70% on the SED
Yes they are I’ve applied to hudds to progress onto pharmacy

Is the foundation year hard to get 70%
How easy is it to get 70%

Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @Aathira N
Progression onto Optometry and Pharmacy is dependent on meeting stringent performance levels in the SED. You must pass all modules with an overall pass mark of at least 70%. Plus at least 70% in the Chemistry module and 70% in the Maths and Physics module.
You must also successfully undertake an interview with the Optometry or Pharmacy admissions staff.

As the number of places per year for progression on to pharmacy or optometry after the SED may change, it may be best to contact the university admissions office - 01484 472 625 or [email protected].

Aaliya ~ 3rd year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Original post by Husnahash
How easy is it to get 70%

Hi @Husnahash

There is no straight forward answer to this. The level of difficulty depends on how much work and effort you are willing to put into the course. From my peers who have done the course, they have said that it was challenging but they were able to pass the course due to the revision and extra work they put in.

I hope this helps!
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Hi I know I will give it my all but I want to progress onto optometry so do u know how easy it would be to get an overall mark of 70% and then progress onto Optom?
Hi I know I will give it my all but I want to progress onto optometry so do u know how easy it would be to get an overall mark of 70% and then progress onto Optom?

Hi @Husnahash

While we can't attest to how difficult the course is, 70% at university is equivalent to to a first class, in terms of what grade that would be at other levels of study it would be along the lines of top grade achievable- a first class is between 70%-100% of the marks.

From our course pages, you can see what modules are studied and how the course is assessed:
https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/science-extended-degree-leading-to-a-bsc-hons-degree

This course "will be taught through a series of lectures, tutorials, seminars and laboratory practicals. Assessment will include coursework, eportfolio, projects and laboratory work in addition to examinations. Your module specification/course handbook will provide full details of the assessment criteria applying to your course."

From personal experience as a former student, now employee at the University, I found it clearer on how to achieve the grades I wanted than A Level. At A Level it isn't always clear what you need to do in order to get the top marks, whereas when I studied here, you are given course handbooks and assignment briefs telling you what to do in order to get the top grades. Combine that knowledge of what you need to do to get the grade along with a lot of hard work and effort, I was able to get a first class in my degree.

Many thanks,
UoH
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi @Husnahash

While we can't attest to how difficult the course is, 70% at university is equivalent to to a first class, in terms of what grade that would be at other levels of study it would be along the lines of top grade achievable- a first class is between 70%-100% of the marks.

From our course pages, you can see what modules are studied and how the course is assessed:
https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/science-extended-degree-leading-to-a-bsc-hons-degree

This course "will be taught through a series of lectures, tutorials, seminars and laboratory practicals. Assessment will include coursework, eportfolio, projects and laboratory work in addition to examinations. Your module specification/course handbook will provide full details of the assessment criteria applying to your course."

From personal experience as a former student, now employee at the University, I found it clearer on how to achieve the grades I wanted than A Level. At A Level it isn't always clear what you need to do in order to get the top marks, whereas when I studied here, you are given course handbooks and assignment briefs telling you what to do in order to get the top grades. Combine that knowledge of what you need to do to get the grade along with a lot of hard work and effort, I was able to get a first class in my degree.

Many thanks,
UoH

It would be useful to have some stats if possible: eg, the number of students who successfully complete the 70% requirement, how many apply for optometry and how many get into the course. Also those who are successful in completing the MOptom who took the initial year.
How do I see the stats

Original post by Anonymous
It would be useful to have some stats if possible: eg, the number of students who successfully complete the 70% requirement, how many apply for optometry and how many get into the course. Also those who are successful in completing the MOptom who took the initial year.
How do I see the stats

Hi @Husnahash and Anon,

These sort of stats are usually at request only. Please contact our School of Applied Sciences on Unibuddy- it's like a live chat service if you go to this webpage: https://www.hud.ac.uk/chat-with-our-students/ then select 'staff' look for 'Applied Sciences' and ask them the question through there, they will get back to you with those numbers.**

Best wishes,
UoH

** EDIT - it operates similar to a live chat service, our teams usually respond within 23-36 hours.
(edited 1 year ago)
I think if u put the work in, revise and go over the sheets they give you then achieving an average of 70 shouldn’t be too hard. Personally for me that’s my average so far however I still can’t give proper advice as I haven’t finished this year and still unsure whether I’ll get 70 overall
Reply 53
Hi @Asha2003 thats great to hear!
Good luck with your application.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Original post by Aathira N
I got an offer for the SED and I want to progress onto optometry

Hi have you started the course?
Reply 54
hey guys,

for those of you that did it this year, did any of you get into optom or pharamcy? if so, what was your overall percentage?

thanks
Original post by Ashyleeds
hey guys,

for those of you that did it this year, did any of you get into optom or pharamcy? if so, what was your overall percentage?

thanks

Hi, I didn't get into optometry this year from the SED. Personally it's not worth it, it's far better to do an access course or resit A-levels than this course. I'm now going into a completely different career that isn't science based.
Unless you're really good at chemistry, maths and physics then the SED isn't worth it as you're going to need 70% or more to do optometry and pharmacy. Typically there is only 15-20 places each year for pharmacy and 15-25 for optometry for people who have done the SED. considering usually there is more than 200 people who do the SED. Many people including my friends didn't get in to do optometry/ pharmacy, they've had to pick other courses that have a lower tariff(courses that only require an overall pass of 40% or more), e.g. biomedicine, pharmacology.. etc..
If I could go back I wouldn't do this course, it's a waste of time and money.
(edited 9 months ago)
Could someone please provide the content of the SED. E.g the content within the Maths, physics, chemistry and biology.
Reply 57
Hi, I didn't get into optometry this year from the SED. Personally it's not worth it, it's far better to do an access course or resit A-levels than this course. I'm now going into a completely different career that isn't science based.
Unless you're really good at chemistry, maths and physics then the SED isn't worth it as you're going to need 70% or more to do optometry and pharmacy. Typically there is only 15-20 places each year for pharmacy and 15-25 for optometry for people who have done the SED. considering usually there is more than 200 people who do the SED. Many people including my friends didn't get in to do optometry/ pharmacy, they've had to pick other courses that have a lower tariff(courses that only require an overall pass of 40% or more), e.g. biomedicine, pharmacology.. etc..
If I could go back I wouldn't do this course, it's a waste of time and money.

Do u know what kinda access course for pharm/ optometry there is? I’ve heard people getting put on waiting lists for optometry and like 68% could get u into pharmacy cause there’s no waiting list for pharmacy cause everyone wants to do optometry
Reply 58

Hi. Can you let me know what the test is like. Is it hard questions like a level type or gcse type questions. I’m really stressed!
If you did a level sciences (A level biology, a level Chemistry, A level physics and A level maths) you don't need to do the test and interview. I did 2 btecs and A level sociology so I had to do the interview and maths test.
Reply 59

Hi. I’ve got some questions to ask regarding the interview process. I applied through clearing and my interview is next week. I have to complete an assessment a maths one in person. I’m anxious as I’m not sure what the difficulty of the questions are if they’re straight forward or hard? Could you let me know or if anyone else sees this could you let me know it would be much appreciatedI’m very stressed :/!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending