The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

University of Huddersfield Science Extended Degree leading to a BSc(Hons) Degree

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @Asha2003 thats great to hear!
Good luck with your application.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Aaliya ~ 3rd year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield

(Original post by Onlychantele)

Yeah they gave me a handbook aswell, l'll start looking into it soon.

Hi. I have my interview next week I have to complete a written assesment a maths one. I got given a handbook today. I am really nervous for it! I’m not sure what the test is gonna be like the difficulty of the test and the questions? Could anyone please let me know if it’s like basic gcse or a level? Thank you!’

Original post by Hk200333
Did you get into SED through clearing? How was it? I’ve applied through clearing and now I’m waiting to hear back. Did you find the maths test difficult
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by 18stariq
Hi. I’ve got some questions to ask regarding the interview process. I applied through clearing and my interview is next week. I have to complete an assessment a maths one in person. I’m anxious as I’m not sure what the difficulty of the questions are if they’re straight forward or hard? Could you let me know or if anyone else sees this could you let me know it would be much appreciatedI’m very stressed :/!

Hi @18stariq

Aaliya graduated this summer and won't be able to reply now but from looking at guidance on our website (https://www.hud.ac.uk/undergraduate/how-to-apply/interviews/) you should have received some revision material alongside that confirmation which should guide you on what to revise.

From our course level page under entry requirements, we believe it would be closer to GCSE level maths questions due to the entry requirement of:
"In addition you must have GCSE English Language and Maths at Grade 4 or above or Grade C or above if awarded under the previous GCSE grading scheme." https://courses.hud.ac.uk/2024-25/full-time/undergraduate/science-extended-degree-leading-to-a-bsc-hons-degree

In terms of your interview, we want enthusiastic students who have a passion to work in their chosen profession, as well as knowledge and understanding of what the profession involves and the skills and attributes required. So just prepare and think why you want to do that course and show the passion you have for the subject area.

Many thanks,
Lewis

Social Media and Content Officer, University of Huddersfield
Original post by Aathira N
Hi, I didn't get into optometry this year from the SED. Personally it's not worth it, it's far better to do an access course or resit A-levels than this course. I'm now going into a completely different career that isn't science based.
Unless you're really good at chemistry, maths and physics then the SED isn't worth it as you're going to need 70% or more to do optometry and pharmacy. Typically there is only 15-20 places each year for pharmacy and 15-25 for optometry for people who have done the SED. considering usually there is more than 200 people who do the SED. Many people including my friends didn't get in to do optometry/ pharmacy, they've had to pick other courses that have a lower tariff(courses that only require an overall pass of 40% or more), e.g. biomedicine, pharmacology.. etc..
If I could go back I wouldn't do this course, it's a waste of time and money.

wtf just seeing this after ive accepted the offer…
Original post by yanan69.corm

I agree with this post. It's more advantageous for those who have done A Levels Sciences and did reasonably okay but just missed maybe 1-2 grades of the AAB requirement. Personally for me it was a waste of my 1 year and I'm in debt of £9250. Universities will convince us to do anything because it benefits them £££ and in the end it's our loss not theirs. No reassurance or career help at the end of the SED course either.
Original post by Anonymous
I agree with this post. It's more advantageous for those who have done A Levels Sciences and did reasonably okay but just missed maybe 1-2 grades of the AAB requirement. Personally for me it was a waste of my 1 year and I'm in debt of £9250. Universities will convince us to do anything because it benefits them £££ and in the end it's our loss not theirs. No reassurance or career help at the end of the SED course either.

i got BBC so will i struggle? i also didnt do physics or maths.
Congratulations on getting in!

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

I can't speak on your behalf whether you will struggle or not. It comes down to how many hours a week you spend on studying and how good your revision techniques are. As long as in the end you think you will achieve that 70% overall having done exceptionally well across all 5 modules between 60%-90%, then go for it! Remember a 70% does equate to an A* or a 1st.
Personally from my experience I did find some modules quite difficult but if u go through the online quizzes and worksheets they give u you will be fine cos the final exams are very similar to what they give you. You just need to keep on top of your work and try not leaving assignments last minute. Thankfully I managed to progress onto Optometry.

I got the exact same grades and my a levels were Psychology, Sociology and Chem and I managed to get into Optom. the maths is really straight forward and the physics is quite hard but with they give u quizzes and worksheets as long as u go through them consistently you’ll be fine
Reply 69
(Original post by Anonymous)Personally from my experience I did find some modules quite difficult but if u go through the online quizzes and worksheets they give u you will be fine cos the final exams are very similar to what they give you. You just need to keep on top of your work and try not leaving assignments last minute. Thankfully I managed to progress onto Optometry.

congrats! Wish you the best of luck!
Reply 70

Congrats on getting a place. As long as you put your head down and work hard you’ll be fine. I’ve heard it’s an intense course it's understandable as its a foundation year first. It’s not impossible to progress on its do able nothings impossible. There are other courses science related you can progress onto other than pharmacy and optometry I have heard as a backup. I have applied for this course and have my entry assessment this weekend. Did you have to do an assessment too or were you offered a place?
Reply 71
Hi, I have a spare room available at Aspley House, Bronze En Suite in Huddersfield for the 2023/2024 available for 51 weeks contract, only £97 per week.

Bills included, as well as a private bathroom, private room, double bed and shared kitchen. Only 3 minutes walk away from the University of Huddersfield. Free WiFi, gym, wardrobe, study desk and chair.

Please do contact me if your interested as i am no longer going to University of Huddersfield so I need a replacement otherwise I will need to pay for the rent.

Thank you!
Original post by 18stariq
Congrats on getting a place. As long as you put your head down and work hard you’ll be fine. I’ve heard it’s an intense course it's understandable as its a foundation year first. It’s not impossible to progress on its do able nothings impossible. There are other courses science related you can progress onto other than pharmacy and optometry I have heard as a backup. I have applied for this course and have my entry assessment this weekend. Did you have to do an assessment too or were you offered a place?

no i didnt ive got an unconditional offer
Reply 73
Hi, I have a spare room available at Aspley House, Bronze En Suite in Huddersfield for the 2023/2024 available for 51 weeks contract, only £97 per week.

Bills included, as well as a private bathroom, private room, double bed and shared kitchen. Only 3 minutes walk away from the University of Huddersfield. Free WiFi, gym, wardrobe, study desk and chair.

Please do contact me if your interested as i am no longer going to University of Huddersfield so I need a replacement otherwise I will need to pay for the rent.

Thank you!!
Reply 74
no i didnt ive got an unconditional offer

Ah right congrats wish you the best of luck!
Original post by Anonymous
I got the exact same grades and my a levels were Psychology, Sociology and Chem and I managed to get into Optom. the maths is really straight forward and the physics is quite hard but with they give u quizzes and worksheets as long as u go through them consistently you’ll be fine

How hard were the final exams and how many were there and is it possible if I can contact you I can’t seem to pm here?
Reply 76
I just wanted to ask that i applied to the sed however i chose to do pharmacy through the sed but now im definite i want to do the optometry courses. Can i not change that or tell them that when i start in september.
Original post by Ibby.f
I just wanted to ask that i applied to the sed however i chose to do pharmacy through the sed but now im definite i want to do the optometry courses. Can i not change that or tell them that when i start in september.

Yes that’s fine I did the exact same thing I initially wanted to pharmacy but changed my mind. in SED You start applying for pharmacy or optom in January they don’t look at what u applied for before SED
Reply 78
Anybody done their admissions test today as it was clearing admissions day for the SED? and has anybody heard back at all?
What kind of questions did they ask for the interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending