The Student Room Group

Two Questions...

Okay firstly i am wanting to know how important the 4th subject is that you drop at the end of year 12 is. The thing is the subject i am considering dropping i doubt i will get a particularly high grade in. Do they ak for this subject in the requirements? or do you have to put it on your PS?
Secondly i have just missed out on a medicine lecture thing at my local university for people considering medicine with my school? Do you think there will be others? Have you been to anything similar? What do they talk about?
Thanks xxx
No one lists their subjects on their PS unless it's relevant to their application... however, even if the subject isn't relevant, if you get a poor grade it's not going to give a good impression.
Reply 2
some medical schools have a requirement stating you need a B in your 4th As level... but thats only some. When you say "does it matter what one you drop", depends what unis you are applying to... e.g. not all require Biology up to A2, some (but few) dont even need Chemistry up to A2 (but will require a good mark at As).

Lecture wise... dont worry about it. It will probably just be all about the October deadline, and getting lots of W/E, and getting good grades etc. I spent so much of my time last year going to extra curricular lectures out side of school hours etc, and didnt even put them in my ps because there wasnt room... however i guess they are good to mention when it comes to an interview if you learnt some interesting stuff. But all in all, i wouldnt worry about it... it'll all be info you can find on the internet or will be told again at a later date.
nope, they don't really specify which subject, but most require a B... ucl only ask for a pass though (E)
Reply 4
Isn't a pass a D?
Reply 5
It depends where you apply but usually as long as you don't drop chemistry you should be ok. However, if you're applying to Cambridge or New college, Oxford you ought to have 3 sciences. If you apply to Oxford then you should have 2 sciences.

As for the medicine talk, every single university will have at least one medicine talk at their open days. They tend to be pretty generic so going to one should be fine. To be honest all they ever say is you need lots of voluntary work, preferably in a caring capacity. You also need at least 2 weeks work experience (don't listen to medical schools if they say 'don't worry we know it's hard to get' - they DO want work experience. That's usually about it (apart from extra-curricular stuff which you probably do anyway). Good luck.
Reply 6
airtones
Isn't a pass a D?

Nope, an E is a pass. A U is a fail (ungraded)

Latest

Trending

Trending