The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ipswichblade
I see. Are you going to visit the other 2 unis? Would be a good idea. I've been to see all 5 of my unis and it's important if you are unsure of where to go.

I cant really make the open days for the two other unis, unfair for my dad driving.
Reply 21
Northampton university? I went there for an open day last year...mostly just to see what my local university is like (i used to live in northamptonshire) from what I know it is good in the department of art and media - I have a friend there who does graphics and he loves it. But from my personal opinion I wouldn't choose is..but thats because I've lived near there.. the town center isn't all that great and the night life can be pretty poor if you don't plan on paying for almost every club you go into, the pubs are good, when you find the right ones. However, saying this, I don't have a hands on experience of the quality of teaching at the university and my opinion is mostly influenced from the fact that i've been living in northamptonshire for 18 years and seen the town so often that I needed to get away from it so your opinion could be the complete opposite... you might really like the town..everyones different
Reply 22
My girlfriend has just finished at Lincoln and she says it's a great place. The uni is very attractive as is the town. Awesome Cathedral and suprisingly good night life for a relatively small city. Most of the facilities are new so it has a good 'feel' about it.

I believe it's also got a dedicated Media building that has been recently completed and has a good rep in the field.

I have never heard a good thing about Derby. End of. Ever.

Staffordshire is one of my local uni's and i have been there for HE fairs and a few presentations when at school. Staffordshire uni is in Stoke-on-Trent which is probably the most underwhelming large town/city in the country. It doesn't have much to offer students bar pottery and oatcakes. The night life is very average and the area has seen better days, some point around 1880 i believe.
Reply 23
Decs.
My girlfriend has just finished at Lincoln and she says it's a great place. The uni is very attractive as is the town. Awesome Cathedral and suprisingly good night life for a relatively small city. Most of the facilities are new so it has a good 'feel' about it.

I believe it's also got a dedicated Media building that has been recently completed and has a good rep in the field.

I have never heard a good thing about Derby. End of. Ever.

Staffordshire is one of my local uni's and i have been there for HE fairs and a few presentations when at school. Staffordshire uni is in Stoke-on-Trent which is probably the most underwhelming large town/city in the country. It doesn't have much to offer students bar pottery and oatcakes. The night life is very average and the area has seen better days, some point around 1880 i believe.

Then Lincoln could be my best beat then.
I'm at Derby - 2nd year History & Sociology - & loving it!
But your uni is a big decision, so i would definately reccomend open days. Here's a link to Derby's page http://www.derby.ac.uk/opendays hope that works!
The night life is pretty good too - plenty of pubs & clubs, and places to see live acts. Had the Sugababes, Taio Cruz & Scouting for Girls in the Uni.http://www.derby.ac.uk/student-life here's a link to more stuff!
Hope this helps.
Best wishes!
Reply 25
littlest-leoni
I'm at Derby - 2nd year History & Sociology - & loving it!
But your uni is a big decision, so i would definately reccomend open days. Here's a link to Derby's page http://www.derby.ac.uk/opendays hope that works!
The night life is pretty good too - plenty of pubs & clubs, and places to see live acts. Had the Sugababes, Taio Cruz & Scouting for Girls in the Uni.http://www.derby.ac.uk/student-life here's a link to more stuff!
Hope this helps.
Best wishes!

thanks for the links
SFsucks
I cant really make the open days for the two other unis, unfair for my dad driving.

Fair enough.
I attended the Derby University Open day two weeks ago and I enjoyed myself. In comparison to the comments in this topic the area is rather lovely with a lovely shopping centre, the university is only a bus away from the town centre + the staff, facilities and courses are superb. They said that 50-60% of the students there are mature students (21+) which is rather impressive.

I'd say that university is aimed at those who are wanting to study and not focus on the night life too much (clubbing and pubs)
LMAO

All of those universities will be in clearing anyway. Don't sweat it.
imoneofthem
I attended the Derby University Open day two weeks ago and I enjoyed myself. In comparison to the comments in this topic the area is rather lovely with a lovely shopping centre, the university is only a bus away from the town centre + the staff, facilities and courses are superb. They said that 50-60% of the students there are mature students (21+) which is rather impressive.

I'd say that university is aimed at those who are wanting to study and not focus on the night life too much (clubbing and pubs)

:rofl: Funniest thing I've heard in ages :biggrin:
imoneofthem

Glad you enjoyed the open day - did you go on all the tours? Do you think we'll be seeing you in the future perhaps?
I believe there is something for everyone at Derby - there are about 60 clubs & societies - so you can be interested in anything from skydiving to re-enactment & you'll find it at Derby!

Latest

Trending

Trending