The Student Room Group

Biting point driving lesson

My instructor doesn’t make me find the biting point when I’m on lessons, but every instructor I know makes you find it, if I don’t find the biting point during my driving test will i fail?
Don't you find the 'biting point' every time you move off or change gear?

Probably best to concentrate on smooth gear changes.

To really get the feel of the 'biting point' try a tractor or a tank :h:.
I dont see how you can actually move off if you don't find the bite. That is the entire point of it, to get you moving.
Original post by CoolCavy
I dont see how you can actually move off if you don't find the bite. That is the entire point of it, to get you moving.

You can move off without setting the gas and just on the clutch if the vehicle has enough torque. Most often on diesels, but I was also shown this way when learning in something with a torquey ecoboost engine. However it's a bad habit to get into.
Original post by courtney123xx
My instructor doesn’t make me find the biting point when I’m on lessons, but every instructor I know makes you find it, if I don’t find the biting point during my driving test will i fail?

It's more about your all round car control than the specific way that you're doing it. If you demonstrate that you can't move away smoothly in a range of conditions then you could be failed.

If you are not having any trouble now and take take your test in the same car, you may be okay. BUT it could be a big problem as soon as you try to do this in another vehicle. Your instructors priority may be getting you to pass, so it could be worth raising it with them.
Original post by Grizwuld
Don't you find the 'biting point' every time you move off or change gear?

Probably best to concentrate on smooth gear changes.

To really get the feel of the 'biting point' try a tractor or a tank :h:.

no, the instructor tells me to just keep my foot right down on the clutch and then add a bit of gas then release the clutch! No biting point at all!
Original post by Admit-One
You can move off without setting the gas and just on the clutch if the vehicle has enough torque. Most often on diesels, but I was also shown this way when learning in something with a torquey ecoboost engine. However it's a bad habit to get into.

It's more about your all round car control than the specific way that you're doing it. If you demonstrate that you can't move away smoothly in a range of conditions then you could be failed.

If you are not having any trouble now and take take your test in the same car, you may be okay. BUT it could be a big problem as soon as you try to do this in another vehicle. Your instructors priority may be getting you to pass, so it could be worth raising it with them.

That’s what I was thinking! It’s so much easier the way he’s teaching me than the previous instructor I had did. But I don’t want it to mess up my own car if/when I pass my test! Thank you for replying :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy

I thought the exact same but my instructor teaches you not to find the bite! He teaches me to put my foot on the clutch then add a bit of gas then release the clutch!
Reply 7
I thought the exact same but my instructor teaches you not to find the bite! He teaches me to put my foot on the clutch then add a bit of gas then release the clutch!

This is the biting point though, it's not something so literal all the time as some cars you can barely tell feel the clutch has bit.
I thought the exact same but my instructor teaches you not to find the bite! He teaches me to put my foot on the clutch then add a bit of gas then release the clutch...

...and then it passes the bite point. It can't go elsewhere, but 99% times you have no reason to stop at the precise biting point beyond tuition and hill starts imo.
Reply 9

You can't be serious. You're literally, by releasing the clutch, moving past the bite point. Whether you hold it there is irrelevant, except certain situations. On an incline, for instance, you'd hold it there for slightly longer than usual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending