The Student Room Group

Problem with driving tests nowadays...

I don't know if it's just me but does anyone feel like ever since this entire backlog from the pandemic happened, it's put this ridiculous & unnecessary extra pressure towards a driving test now. I've got my first driving test coming up in a few weeks and the fact that I had to book this test 6 months in advance is making me nervous. Now it's put so much pressure on this test because I know if I don't pass this test I've got to wait another 6 months to book another!

If I had done a test back in the day pre-covid it would've been a case of - well if I fail I can do another one in 10 days anyway.
I thought about this myself, I can’t lie. Yeah there definitely is pressure to treat each and every lesson that you have like gold dust. You can’t afford it to go to waste. You won’t be able to get those two/one hours back, especially if you’re from a family that has no one who drives.
Reply 2
The pressure is purely psychological, the test has gotten easier thanks to COVID.
Reply 3
Original post by TheDE
The pressure is purely psychological, the test has gotten easier thanks to COVID.

How has it gotten easier thanks to COVID though? It's made it worse surely
Original post by Keon_J
How has it gotten easier thanks to COVID though? It's made it worse surely

Well I think the free driving section is shorter as a result. Less time = less opportunity to mess something up.

I took my test long before COVID and had to wait around 3 months for another test slot. COVID has definitely made things worse, but there was already a big wait at many test centres. TheDE can probably confirm why, but I was told by my instructor that many tests centres had been closed?
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Well I think the free driving section is shorter as a result. Less time = less opportunity to mess something up.

I took my test long before COVID and had to wait around 3 months for another test slot. COVID has definitely made things worse, but there was already a big wait at many test centres. TheDE can probably confirm why, but I was told by my instructor that many tests centres had been closed?

Yes only 30-35 minutes to screw up not 40, also guidance given to be less severe due to the additional anxiety of waiting. A dangerous fault will still be dangerous and a serious fault still serious, but the line between a driver fault (minor) and an serious fault has been asked to be shifted slightly.
and if you fail you have to wait another 6 months/ year for a 2nd test

i hope your test goes well might just be pre exam worries
Original post by TheDE
Yes only 30-35 minutes to screw up not 40, also guidance given to be less severe due to the additional anxiety of waiting. A dangerous fault will still be dangerous and a serious fault still serious, but the line between a driver fault (minor) and an serious fault has been asked to be shifted slightly.

PRSOM. Thanks for clarifying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending