The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im so academic
This is the place for every and any question you have about or relating to GCSEs.

I'll kick it off:

Is it possible to learn the whole AQA Science Sylabuss independently in 1 year?

:yep:

Why would you want to? You have to learn it at school anyways..
Reply 2
in a word, no.
because you have ISAs to do.
I'd say probably not. It's an awful lot to learn. I take it you mean the core science?
Laura373
in a word, no.
because you have ISAs to do.

What are those exactly?
You could easily learn all the theory, but why would you want to do it in a year?
lozz2601
I'd say probably not. It's an awful lot to learn. I take it you mean the core science?

Yeah, that's the one!
im so academic
What are those exactly?

HSW practicals.
You do an experiment, and then have to do a paper on it later on - a how science works - sort of thing.
You do a table for the results in the lesson with the investigation and then do the paper in the next lesson. It's all about variables and bias and things like that.
well, I'd say yes then. We did core in a year, and CGP books are amazing for science if they're exam board specific IMO :yep:
im so academic
Yeah, that's the one!

A lot a lot to learn, but we did Core and Additional in two years - so actually, it's probably possible.
Reply 10
My school does igcse and whilst the exams are slightly harder, you can do it without coursework or modules. The edexcel igcse textbooks are excellent. You take 2 papers for each science, one worth 80% on theory and one worth 20% on experiments which means if you find a place that offers you to sit it, you just have exams at the end.
Go for it.
Anyone know the pros and cons of doing GCSE Short Course ICT and/or GCSE ICT?

thanks
Pro of SHort Course: you only have to do 1 piece of courseworkinstead of 2
Pro of Long course: you might as well do an extra piece of coursework to get a full GCSE

(Referring to AQA btw)
With edexcel, when I sat it, the short course had 2 pieces of coursework as opposed to 4 and the last section of the exam was missed out for the short course.
Keep this on topic. If it gets too spammy I'm moving it.
Firstly, I don't understand this thread. Isn't the purpose of the forum to ask questions related to GCSE?

Anyway, of course it's possible to learn the core science syllabus in 1 year. You're supposed to do it in a few monthsif you do triple science, and when you learn independently, you can put more time into it than you would if you were learning in school.
Are GCSE Business Studies, GCSE Sociology and GCSE ICT (short course) really worth the time and effort for?
Reply 18
Your choosing your Year 10 options aren't you. :p:

ICT short course > ICT full course
Reply 19
I wish I was choosing my GCSE options again. :frown:

Latest