The Student Room Group

Crying on my Driving Lesson

Is this post just a call for sympathy? Maybe! Long story short, I've been learning to drive for about 6 months now and I made my first big mistake on my driving lesson today (nobody was hurt and I didn't hit anything but I was driving fast and could have done, so it was a fairly dangerous mistake). We stopped and parked afterwards and my instructor is so nice and kind (I know I am lucky there!) but obviously we had to go through what went wrong. I couldn't handle it, I started crying and although I tried to start the lesson again I could tell I wasn't in the right mindset so I asked her to drive me home. I'm embarrassed! Has anyone else ever cried on a driving lesson before, how did it go, can we all make each other feel better? :')
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi there,

Driving is a new experience and there are going to be days where you make mistakes - big or small.

Even after you pass your test, you are still going to have days that leave you questioning where you went wrong. I have been driving for three years now, passed first time with just three silly minors, but I still have days that make me go: "What was that?" It happens and you should just take it as a learning curve.

I never cried during or even after my lessons which surprised me as I can be quite emotional and often beat myself up over little mistakes. However, I did have days that have left me feeling a bit down and annoyed with myself. I remember just making a load of stupid mistakes one day and taking ages to get to places because I kept getting things wrong.

One thing to remind yourself when you are having a bad day is that you are learning and you will never be perfect 100% of the time. Even those that are experienced make mistakes, we move.

Shake yourself off, take a deep breath and make sure you don't do it again. Speak to your instructor and ask for advice; that is what they are there for.

Keep at it and it is okay to get a little upset and worked up about these kind of things. It is normal, 100%.
Never cried, but there were a few lessons where I came home feeling like a failure and like I might never pass cause I was making stupid mistakes. I ended up passing in good time and I realised, you just have to learn from your mistakes. Those big mistakes that make you cringe when you think about them - those are the ones you learn from. As with your instructor, we went over what went wrong when I screwed up, I thought about it over and over when I got home, and I never made that same big mistake again.
I think it's normal to feel shaken up from a near miss. The important thing is that you recognised that you weren't in a fit state to continue driving.
Reply 4
Thank you all for your reassurance, I really appreciate it! I do have a tendency to beat myself up over making mistakes, it's something I need to work on. The most important thing is that nobody was hurt - and I will get over the embarrassment of crying in front of her eventually!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending