The Student Room Group

I hate driving.

I've been learning to drive since October. Initially it was just with my Dad but when the turned out to be a horrible experience for both of us we booked a professional driving instructor. I like my instructor but I hate the lessons. I've now had 10 and feel like I am making no progress- my judgement is poor, I often miss gears, stall regularly... I just feel like after so many lessons I shouldn't be making these mistakes. Driving the car with my family now makes me physically sick, and today after stalling at some traffic lights and holding up cars behind me I had a panic attack at the wheel. I've never been an anxious person but I'm genuinely hating my experience of learning to drive. I'm questioning whether it's even worth it now that I'm paying for my own lessons- it's draining all of my money, I'm worrying about it all of the time and I'm not seeing progress. None of my friends feel this way, and my best friend who has her birthday a week before mine passed 2 months ago. I feel so behind and embarrassed. Part of me thinks I'm just a bad driver and there's no point in putting myself through any more of this. Any advice?
How have you only had 10 since October? I think the reason u feel no improvement is because your not constantly taking lessons maybe? U need to practice and practice to improve . Do you have lessons weekly?
Reply 2
i was the exact same and i forced myself to push through thinking it would help but i ended up failing my test bc of a panic attack and i haven't tried again since,, not sure why there's such an expectation on ppl to learn to drive it's so stupid,, as long as you have good public transport links you can be just as independent (plus it's cheaper !!)
Original post by Poppy.t123
I've been learning to drive since October. Initially it was just with my Dad but when the turned out to be a horrible experience for both of us we booked a professional driving instructor. I like my instructor but I hate the lessons. I've now had 10 and feel like I am making no progress- my judgement is poor, I often miss gears, stall regularly... I just feel like after so many lessons I shouldn't be making these mistakes. Driving the car with my family now makes me physically sick, and today after stalling at some traffic lights and holding up cars behind me I had a panic attack at the wheel. I've never been an anxious person but I'm genuinely hating my experience of learning to drive. I'm questioning whether it's even worth it now that I'm paying for my own lessons- it's draining all of my money, I'm worrying about it all of the time and I'm not seeing progress. None of my friends feel this way, and my best friend who has her birthday a week before mine passed 2 months ago. I feel so behind and embarrassed. Part of me thinks I'm just a bad driver and there's no point in putting myself through any more of this. Any advice?

Is there any chance you can start learning in an automatic even though you have a manual?

This way you never have to worry about changing gears, stalling, parking on hills etc. and will remove a lot of the stress you seem to be under. You can focus purely on the road.
Reply 4
Hi, I learned with my Dad to begin with but I started proper lessons in March. My lessons are supposed to happen weekly but sometimes get cancelled
Reply 5
Original post by hrtpjm
i was the exact same and i forced myself to push through thinking it would help but i ended up failing my test bc of a panic attack and i haven't tried again since,, not sure why there's such an expectation on ppl to learn to drive it's so stupid,, as long as you have good public transport links you can be just as independent (plus it's cheaper !!)

I would completely stop now if my family weren't putting such a big pressure on it. They keep saying to keep going because it will 'click' but it's been ages and I'm thinking I might just not be made to drive
try automatic and one lesson a week.
You could switch to automatic which would be much easier. No worries of switching gears or stalling on hills potentially.

However trust your judgement/gut instinct! If you feel like you’re not ready drive then don’t push yourself! Everyone learns at their own pace. Speaking from personal experience, I hated my driving lessons and driving altogether. I still get a little nervous driving to this day however it’s less anxiety inducing than it was 4 years ago. With age, I became less nervous and built the confidence. I hope it works out for you. All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending