The Student Room Group

Cold Room

first of all, do not suggest that i get any electric devices of any kind, they're far too expensive to run. Don't suggest wearing more layers or more duvets. you'd just be wasting your time.

My room is at the end of the house, and has 3 walls to the outside, and the ceiling to the outside too. Its fairly big and theres only one radiator in.

As soon as its cold outside, you can really feel it in my room.

What kind of things can I do to insulate it better?
Reply 1
It's not clear what sort of answers you do want, as for some reason you are dismissing all the obvious and easy ones out of hand.
Reply 2
DomTom

What kind of things can I do to insulate it better?

All the things you have ruled out, really.
well try erm...oh. Nevermind.

I don't know what to suggest other than what you have said.
Insulating your walls and windows would be a hell of a lot more expensive than running a small electric heater.
Reply 5
Aack
All the things you have ruled out, really.

They didn't say that we can't suggest setting things on fire :p: that would warm the room up :yep:
Reply 6
Lots of layers, and sleep in a decent sleeping bag. Alternatively electric heaters would work and be far easier :wink:.

Is it double glazed? If not, you can buy sticky stuff for your windows to insulate a bit better,
And draught excluders really do rock, and long, double lined curtains keep the heat in more =)
Duvets, hot water bottles, hot drinks, exercise, sleeping earlier, eating more...?

If your family's on any sort of benefits, you can get the Warm Front grant, which will pay for your walls to be insulated. We're getting a new boiler, check it out =)

EDIT: Oooh, and a blanket underneath is worth two on top, so says my grandmother.
You could fetch a load of cats from the RSPCA, they'd provide reasonable body heat, and you could drape them over yourself when sleeping.

Feed them with scraps from local bins to cut food costs.
Reply 9
QuantumTheory
Is it double glazed? If not, you can buy sticky stuff for your windows to insulate a bit better,

cling-film & hair dryer :cool:

OP - get a metal bucket, some paper/twigs, and a match.

think you can work out what to do with it to make heat :rolleyes:

don't forget to open windows to ventilate smoke :wink:
Reply 10
You can get a small cheap electric heater, they usually work pretty well. Else a few more blankets/duvets should keep you warm.
Hmm, one of my course-mates was talking about how she was going to be put bubblewrap over the windows before she put the heating on.

I'd never heard of it before, but she's a pretty together girl, I've no reason to suspect these are the ramblings are madwoman.
slimline panel heaters or 'laser' heaters cost pennies a day to run, as do leccy blankets.
LearningMath
You could fetch a load of cats from the RSPCA, they'd provide reasonable body heat, and you could drape them over yourself when sleeping.

Feed them with scraps from local bins to cut food costs.

Best suggestion yet. The only problem with this is if you fidget in your sleep, cats don't like that :no:
Reply 14
i need the room to be warm to be able to work in it. sleeping isn't that great a deal of a problem. I can't work with a million layers on or a duvet/sleeping bag around me. i've bought a bunch of thermal curtains im going to hang on the walls, maybe that'll help

Latest

Trending

Trending