The Student Room Group

Official: King's College London A100 2023 Entry Applicants and Offer Holders thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kayyy30
Does anyone know if kings look at A level grades for the undergrad course if I have a degree? For example I got A*BB at a levels, but i have a 2:1 degree in biomed, so is it possible to apply for undergrad dentistry with these stats?

This is the medicine thread? So I can tell you for medicine, but you might do better in the dentistry threads if you want somebody who knows about that :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
This is the medicine thread? So I can tell you for medicine, but you might do better in the dentistry threads if you want somebody who knows about that :smile:

What do you think for medicine?? x
Original post by Kayyy30

for both med and dent you need to have a passion, you can't just switch from one to the other. @hungrysalamander and @Mesopotamian. can better advise you on dentistry as that was your original enquiry but you might benefit from a gap year if you aren't entirely dedicated to either career paths as they are both careers that (I think) need 100% commitment

edit: tagged the wrong meso :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by AliceKS
for both med and dent you need to have a passion, you can't just switch from one to the other. @hungrysalamander and @Mesopotamian. can better advise you on dentistry as that was your original enquiry but you might benefit from a gap year if you aren't entirely dedicated to either career paths as they are both careers that (I think) need 100% commitment

edit: tagged the wrong meso :smile:

Thanks for the tag :smile:
I believe Sal has already answered this user’s queries in the dentistry forum.
I agree that flip-flopping between medicine and dentistry isn’t wise. Whilst they share basic similarities, they are different careers with different working lifestyles. Work experience and wider reading into the professions is essential.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Thanks for the tag :smile:
I believe Sal has already answered this user’s queries in the dentistry forum.
I agree that flip-flopping between medicine and dentistry isn’t wise. Whilst they share basic similarities, they are different careers with different working lifestyles. Work experience and wider reading into the professions is essential.

oh so sorry to bother you both then, I'm not active on the dentistry forums so had no idea! Thanks for the reply anyway :smile:
Original post by AliceKS
oh so sorry to bother you both then, I'm not active on the dentistry forums so had no idea! Thanks for the reply anyway :smile:

No problem at all!
Original post by Kayyy30

Have you checked the website, as it is very clear?
What score should I aim for UCAT if I want to get into Kings?
Thank you!
Original post by anya_26
Thank you!

From what I’ve seen Kings is known to favour students with high ucat but from personal experience I got a low score but still got an offer but to answer your question aim 2700 to be safe
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by heartrei
hi! just did my ucat today and got 2850 band 2

for context:
- uk based
- 10 9s at GCSE
- predicted 3A*s at A-Level (+ received A* for my EPQ)
- volunteered at my hospital, shadowed my gp, i started a medical society at my school and have done some extra reading around my subject

is it worth me applying?

Probably you would stand a good chance, but KCL has terrible admin so they can always go wrong :cry:
Original post by anya_26
Thank you!

They also look at GCSEs and SJT, so depends on other stats.
Original post by becausethenight
Probably you would stand a good chance, but KCL has terrible admin so they can always go wrong :cry:

is it that bad? 😭
is it that bad? 😭

Yes - if you look on last years' thread a lot of people were autorejected in June after hearing nothing since October, including people you'd assume had excellent stats.
Original post by Lovebear2951
Where did you get that an overseas offer holder average was 3046? Is this for King’s or everywhere?

You’d likely get an interview for King’s this year if you had full (8x A*) GCSE’s, but nobody knows for next year. May be more or less competitive. You have basically every university option available to you though (depending on your grades and GCSE’s), so you should be fine and get an interview. I did worse than you by a bit and still got an offer as an international at another university!

On another note, if you want cutoffs/info for int’l students, feel free to PM me or go to the mega thread for which medical school to apply!

PS: King’s admissions is incredibly long and you may not hear from them until May, and they don’t give you any notice/updates. Kind of disrespectful honestly, but you can apply where you want ofc!

Hi again! I just wanted to ask if you know the answer to this: I do not have GCSEs but I did do the A levels. As you know, the results were released yesterday and I got 3A* + A* for EPQ. Am I still disadvantaged compared to those with GCSEs and predicted A levels, or will this level out since I have the actual A level scores?
I remember being so stressed because of Kings. 🥲 If you're an international student, please think carefully before applying and have a look at other international students pov from 2022. I didn't hear anything from the admission team at all and got auto rejected by UCAS. All the best to applicants this year.

For reference, I got 2980 B2 and 43/45 for IB.
(edited 1 year ago)
do you think i should still take the risk and apply?

It's really up to you, what your other choices would be, and how much you like KCL - I can't make that decision for you!
Original post by whitespider
Hi again! I just wanted to ask if you know the answer to this: I do not have GCSEs but I did do the A levels. As you know, the results were released yesterday and I got 3A* + A* for EPQ. Am I still disadvantaged compared to those with GCSEs and predicted A levels, or will this level out since I have the actual A level scores?

Please see link below: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_graduate

That’s all I know regarding the process, hope that helped :smile:
Original post by micholate9
I'm afraid if it's below their stated requirement then there is no point applying. Have you considered resitting?

Also, please do look at the previous posts on this thread before deciding if applying to King's is worth the drama.

Hi, I just wanted to ask you if it would be wise to apply to kcl. My avg for the ucat was 670, which IDK if it's good, and the predicted is A-levels are A*A*A (A*s in chem and bio but A in psych). Also, I have 7 A*s (5 in 9s and 2 in 8s. 9s in maths and all 3 sciences) and 2 Bs in GCSE but both Bs are in English. So would these stats be okay? I'm asking you as it seems you have the knowledge. Please be straight up with me as I've had mixed responses.
Original post by Jhffbbhgxc
Hi, I just wanted to ask you if it would be wise to apply to kcl. My avg for the ucat was 670, which IDK if it's good, and the predicted is A-levels are A*A*A (A*s in chem and bio but A in psych). Also, I have 7 A*s (5 in 9s and 2 in 8s. 9s in maths and all 3 sciences) and 2 Bs in GCSE but both Bs are in English. So would these stats be okay? I'm asking you as it seems you have the knowledge. Please be straight up with me as I've had mixed responses.

I think it might be a little risky as you don’t have full GCSE points. You need 8 A*s at GCSEs to get full points, and I think your UCAT may be just a little too low to make up for the GCSE points. I don’t know the exact cut-off from last year. Maybe @IBkidinthecorner or @GANFYD may know?

You should have plenty of other safe choices with those stats though.
Original post by Jhffbbhgxc

Hey! Do you know if you have any widening participation flags and what was your SJT band? The last I saw of KCL’s shortlisting procedures, they had a points system with 100 points available for UCAT, 40 for GCSEs (you’d get 30 for 7A*s) and 10 points for SJT (10 points for B1 and 5 for B2). They rank candidate’s UCAT scores based on their application cohort rather than the national stats, but I have no idea if they have changed their points system since - it all seemed a bit random last year. Personally, if you’re not contextual, I wouldn’t risk applying with your UCAT score as you have far safer options available to you (for example Anglia Ruskin, Plymouth and UEA). You could also sit the BMAT if you’re particularly keen on a London uni. GANFYD will probably know more than me though so post a full breakdown of your stats to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7102578&page=183 to get further advice on where to apply
@micholate9 thanks for the tag! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending