The Student Room Group
This question was in my prelim last year.

should i have said for the first one:
area= A square bases+A 4 sides.

I wouldn't. My first line would be the 1000 = 2x^2 + 4xh.

would you have to explain that you can't, as far as i know, get a negative length for a side

I would explain, in a context question, why you discard any solutions that are meaningless (or redundant) physically. It can't hurt and just takes a sentence.

just a nature table, or do you have to give a carefully worded explanation?

The mark is awarded for the nature table (or whatever approach you use, so long as it is valid).

also, though, another question. is it true that higher markers stop giving credit once a step in working is incorrect? i.e. they won't follow through your wrong answer and give you credit for later steps, which you have carried out correctly on wrong numbers?

You'll lose marks for that question, but not for any future questions which rely on that result. For example:

Part (i) requires you to find the roots of a quadratic by factorization - you factorize incorrectly, but then correctly set each factor equal to zero and solve. You would lose either 1 or 2 marks (I'm not sure - you'd lose one for factorizing incorrectly, and I can't remember if you'd then lose the marks for not getting the right final answer).

Part (ii) then asks you to find the area under the curve between these two points - you won't lose any marks on this question for taking the integral between two points you got in the previous question, despite the fact that they're not the right points.

why aren't higher papers filled with 2show that this answer is corrects

Because then it's fairly trivial to play with the numbers to get the right answer.
Reply 2
ooooh, optimisations was the worst type of question that will appear in paper 2 of the exam!

And honestly I could usually never do part (a)...... where you have to show the formula..... thank god it was shown in part(b) or I would lose 5 or 7 marks, can't rememebr.

But would it not be best to show all working? I can barely remember it as it is but you should show everything and state the values.

Latest

Trending

Trending