The Student Room Group

Driving anxiety after stupid struggle!

I was viewing a flat on this reallt narrow dead end road. Narrow where only 1 car can fit. There wasn't any spaces so I just pulled up at the end not realising the side bit which wasn't a road but poeple go down there to park as its big enough.

The estates agent guy just said to leave it there as we would o ly be 5mins. But ofc in this time someone came out from this side bit 🤷*♀️ I was blocking her for less than 3 minutes and she was mad.

Now she made me reverse down the whole street. And I couldn't bloody get striaght to not be going into parked cars because she didn't leave space infront of me to straight up as i pulled up at an angle where mt back was in towards parked cars and my front out towards her. I was so bloody stressed I think a tapped a parked car but unlikely enough to leave any damage there's nothing on my car.

Anyways the situation got me so flustered and emabressed the women was a Karen and the estate agent was jusr watching me flaff about trying to reverse straight. Won't lie I do not do my best driving under pressure. Now I just keep going over it n the embaressment when this is such a minor thing I've had worse occasions where I cut someone up so why am I going on a spiral over this silly litter incident that caused no danger but delayed this women by a matter of minutes.

Anyone got tips on how to get the driving anxiety to goo away or any stories to make me forget about my silly driving dilemmas!?
Reply 1
You are not alone here, there will be many many thousands of people who cannot reverse in a straight line, or even reverse.

The inability to recognise an access road, even if it is an unmade dirt track firstly is training. It is also an attitudinal thing. You always need to consider who else needs to use the same location you are on, and why you exclusively have the right to block a road or others. Some would say selfish which is why the other car driver got so cross. What if it had been an ambulance?

Your driving anxiety will not go away until you get the skills and confidence to be able to reverse and move into tight spaces and gaps. Just get some more training when you can (afford it) and you will ace it.
Reply 2
I was in a car accident earlier this year that wasn't my fault and it really shook me up, I couldn't even sit behind the wheel! I'm a few months down the line and I'm driving back to normal. Still a little anxious but sometimes you do just have to throw yourself into the deep end and keep driving. Don't let other drivers get to you. I always think its not you that is the bad driver its the other people on the road! My advise is to keep going and practice what causes the most anxiety!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending