The Student Room Group

Messi or Ronaldo?

who's your favorite
Messi or Ronaldo

Scroll to see replies

Ronaldo is one of the best goal-scorers in history, but then again so is Messi. They both have some insane statistics and records that other modern players can't get even come close to. You might say one is slightly better than the other based on metrics like goal/game ratio, non-penalty goals, major tournament KO stage goals etc. but I think roughly speaking they're pretty evenly matched.

However on top of scoring goals, Messi is also one of history's greatest passers, dribblers, set-piece takers and all-round playmakers. I've seen him make defence-splitting passes, dribble past 6 or 7 players over half the length of the pitch, rack up a ton of assists and even make some amazing tackles in his own half. Messi has a much greater overall influence on the game and can very easily put in a man-of-the-match performance without scoring any goals. In all these other aspects I think Messi outperforms Ronaldo by quite a distance.

So my final choice would be Messi.
Original post by tazarooni89
Ronaldo is one of the best goal-scorers in history, but then again so is Messi. They both have some insane statistics and records that other modern players can't get even come close to. You might say one is slightly better than the other based on metrics like goal/game ratio, non-penalty goals, major tournament KO stage goals etc. but I think roughly speaking they're pretty evenly matched.

However on top of scoring goals, Messi is also one of history's greatest passers, dribblers, set-piece takers and all-round playmakers. I've seen him make defence-splitting passes, dribble past 6 or 7 players over half the length of the pitch, rack up a ton of assists and even make some amazing tackles in his own half. Messi has a much greater overall influence on the game and can very easily put in a man-of-the-match performance without scoring any goals. In all these other aspects I think Messi outperforms Ronaldo by quite a distance.

So my final choice would be Messi.

Great thinking
Messi is clear. Ronaldo is good, but Messi is better.
Original post by gtty123
Messi is clear. Ronaldo is good, but Messi is better.

Both are legends and unique you are right
Crister ronaldo!
The good old Ronaldo vs Messi comparison. Let us just agree that both footballer made a great contribution to football by their own.
Original post by John Matta3
who's your favorite
Messi or Ronaldo

🐐= Cristiano Ronaldo
Reply 8
King Ronaldo
🇵🇹
Original post by John Matta3
who's your favorite
Messi or Ronaldo

Messi, cause he is a more complete footballer.
The factors that define a footballer are:
1. Goalscoring : Tie(Statistically Messi is a better goalscorer. Better goal ratio, finishing efficiency, accuracy, free kicks , lesser big chnaces missed, more outside the box goals, more solo goals, better hattrick ratio and higher g-xg, which is the most important stat. Still, Ronaldo is more versatile as a goalscorer, and more complete due to his aerial prowess and shot power. So a tie is genuine)
2. Passing: Messi
3. Playmaking: Messi
4. Dribbling: Messi
5. Defending: (Messi has more presses/90, tackles/90, and in general contributes more defensively. Ronaldo does have more aerial duels, clearances, but messi still wins here)
6. Physical attributes: Ronaldo, no question(strength, jumping, speed etc etc)
7. Trophies: Except UCL, Messi leads Ronaldo everywhere in trophies. So Messi wins here
8. Leadership: Messi, he is literally a WC winning captain. No arguments here
9. Impact on team: Messi, he has more MOTM and his team tends to perform worse without him(barca won 0 matches in 8 fixtures when messi left. Madrid won UCL 4 years after ronaldo and united is killing it rn )
10. Big game player: Tie(Ronaldo has 0 g/a in the most important tournament knockout, while messi has 5 goals in this WC alone lol. Plus messi has more goals in finals and against top 2,3,4,5,6 teams in europe. But Ronaldo has an exceptional record in ucl ko stages)
11. Adaptability: Ronaldo
So in general, messi wins.
Ronaldo is a legend, but he doesn't come near messi.

I suggest you watch "Goodly Rogue Messi vs Ronaldo"
He uses indepth stats to analyze who is better and doesn't use hollow arguments like you. Have a good day.
Original post by Kallisto
The good old Ronaldo vs Messi comparison. Let us just agree that both footballer made a great contribution to football by their own.

Quite a diplomatic answer.
Messi for being the best playmaker and finisher.

Ronaldo for speed, athleticism and creating big chances.

Cruyff for overall influence
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Adityapande
Messi, cause he is a more complete footballer.
The factors that define a footballer are:
1. Goalscoring : Tie(Statistically Messi is a better goalscorer. Better goal ratio, finishing efficiency, accuracy, free kicks , lesser big chnaces missed, more outside the box goals, more solo goals, better hattrick ratio and higher g-xg, which is the most important stat. Still, Ronaldo is more versatile as a goalscorer, and more complete due to his aerial prowess and shot power. So a tie is genuine)
2. Passing: Messi
3. Playmaking: Messi
4. Dribbling: Messi
5. Defending: (Messi has more presses/90, tackles/90, and in general contributes more defensively. Ronaldo does have more aerial duels, clearances, but messi still wins here)
6. Physical attributes: Ronaldo, no question(strength, jumping, speed etc etc)
7. Trophies: Except UCL, Messi leads Ronaldo everywhere in trophies. So Messi wins here
8. Leadership: Messi, he is literally a WC winning captain. No arguments here
9. Impact on team: Messi, he has more MOTM and his team tends to perform worse without him(barca won 0 matches in 8 fixtures when messi left. Madrid won UCL 4 years after ronaldo and united is killing it rn )
10. Big game player: Tie(Ronaldo has 0 g/a in the most important tournament knockout, while messi has 5 goals in this WC alone lol. Plus messi has more goals in finals and against top 2,3,4,5,6 teams in europe. But Ronaldo has an exceptional record in ucl ko stages)
11. Adaptability: Ronaldo
So in general, messi wins.
Ronaldo is a legend, but he doesn't come near messi.

I suggest you watch "Goodly Rogue Messi vs Ronaldo"
He uses indepth stats to analyze who is better and doesn't use hollow arguments like you. Have a good day.

Deluded messi fan
Original post by Mohammed_80
Deluded messi fan

I spoke facts. Please provide a valid counter argument rather than acting like a typical ignorant man united and Ronaldo fan.
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
Messi for being the best playmaker and finisher.

Ronaldo for speed, athleticism and creating big chances.

Cruyff for overall influence

Ronaldo for creating big chances? While messi has most big chances created in 21st century? Lol
I spoke facts. Please provide a valid counter argument rather than acting like a typical ignorant man united and Ronaldo fan.

Speaking facts you said do a comparison rather than show bias.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Speaking facts you said do a comparison rather than show bias.

What are you speaking g? I backed each and every point with statistics.
Ronaldo for creating big chances? While messi has most big chances created in 21st century? Lol

A thousand apologies, you are correct @adityapande everyone in the thread is wrong.

I meant the player who creates goal scoring chances for himself not for others i.e an assister.

stats show from 2014 - 2022, Ronaldo has 229 xG and Messi has 218 xG.
More xG = more big chances.
(edited 1 year ago)
A thousand apologies, you are correct @adityapande everyone in the thread is wrong.

I meant the player who creates goal scoring chances for himself not for others i.e an assister.

More xG simply means more shots taken. I think you are confusing the definition of what an xG actually means. Each shot taken by a footballer has an xG.
A player simply can't create a goalscoring chance for himself. Rather an xG is just the sum of the product of each shot taken, multiplied by the percentage chance of converting that shot into a goal.
For example, a penalty has an xG of 0.74. This means that 74% of times a penalty goes into back of the net.
Thus if a player is scoring from a penalty, he will have a +0.24(g-xG)
Now let's say a shot is taken from outside the box(30 yards), that has an xG of hardly 0.3 .
So a person can keep shooting from that range and keep on accumulating xGs, but does that mean they are creating a goalscoring chance for themselves? No, they are simply wasting possession.

Goals-xG is a much better stat as it shows how efficient you are with your shot taking ability.

This doesn't mean you are creating chances for yourself, it simply means you are taking more number of shots per game. Which is true. Ronaldo has taken much more shots compared to messi.
Thus, as each shot holds a certain xG, Ronaldo has a higher xG in total.
But messi has a better goals-xG.
What this means is that messi is a more efficient finisher, who doesn't need to take unnecessary shots to score goals.
Please recheck the definition.
Good day.
(edited 1 year ago)

Very incomplete ball knowledge. I suggest you show number of shots taken by the two. That will prove who is more efficient .

Quick Reply

Latest