The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Life as an Aerospace Engineering student at Swansea University

Hi, I’m Josh and I am currently finishing my last year at Swansea University. This is now my 5th year where I studied Aerospace Engineering with a year in industry followed by a master’s in Engineering Leadership and Management (ELM). I have also been fortunate enough to secure a graduate placement at Atkins as a Management Consultant and would like to share my journey through university with you! With regards to my industrial placement, I worked at Timet UK which is a titanium manufacturing company in Swansea where I was Continuous Improvement intern. This was a valuable experience that shaped my career into aspiring to be an engineering management/consultant and in result change my masters to do Engineering Leadership and Management. This would not have been possible without the fantastic support I received from the engineering employability team who gave me overwhelming support. From mock interviews to calling outside of work hours to ensure I had the best chance of securing a placement. Of which, I cannot thank them enough!  Feel free to ask me about anything to do with Swansea University, securing a year in industry/graduate placement or any of the courses that I studied.
Best wishes, Josh
@TSRTalks Swansea What would you say are the best things to do in Swansea? Never been before but would like to check out the city one day!
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by snowprincess7
@TSRTalks Swansea What would you say are the best things to do in Swansea? Never been before but would like to check out the city one day!

Hey snowprincess7 great question! Swansea has a great student community and also some awesome beaches, so there is always plenty to do! If you like surfing or want to learn then Swansea is a great place to try!

There are museums like Swansea Museum or the National Waterfront Museum and if you fancy some time on your feet in the sunshine, you could check out Clyne Gardens or the beautiful Gower Peninsula, the Botanical Gardens and Margam Country Park. We also have some great cafes and bars which are very popular with students, and in addition to swimming pools, rides, slides, and even a lazy river, you'll be able to experience a host of other activities and events at LC Swansea, the largest indoor waterpark in Wales!

Swansea also has a fantastic music scene, and vibrant nightlife. We have a brand new Swansea Arena, hosting lots of live performances. There has also been live concerts in Singleton Park and in smaller venues such as Sin City and The Patti Pavilion. There really is something for everyone :smile:! Let me know if you want to know more or have anymore questions! Thanks :smile:
Original post by TSRTalks Swansea
Hi, I’m Josh and I am currently finishing my last year at Swansea University. This is now my 5th year where I studied Aerospace Engineering with a year in industry followed by a master’s in Engineering Leadership and Management (ELM). I have also been fortunate enough to secure a graduate placement at Atkins as a Management Consultant and would like to share my journey through university with you! With regards to my industrial placement, I worked at Timet UK which is a titanium manufacturing company in Swansea where I was Continuous Improvement intern. This was a valuable experience that shaped my career into aspiring to be an engineering management/consultant and in result change my masters to do Engineering Leadership and Management. This would not have been possible without the fantastic support I received from the engineering employability team who gave me overwhelming support. From mock interviews to calling outside of work hours to ensure I had the best chance of securing a placement. Of which, I cannot thank them enough!  Feel free to ask me about anything to do with Swansea University, securing a year in industry/graduate placement or any of the courses that I studied.
Best wishes, Josh

Hi Josh, just wondered if you had any thoughts on how you found your industry placement? Did you feel you got much real world experience? Were there good options available to you as a student here? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
How is the night life in Swansea? I need a city with a good nightlife lol
Original post by Rapgameangel
How is the night life in Swansea? I need a city with a good nightlife lol

Swansea has a fantastic nightlife scene, both in the city centre and in areas near the University. After sundown, the city still offers a variety of bars, nightclubs and live music venues with many of the bars offer student-friendly prices, discounts, and parties. Food and drinks are all a decent price in Swansea, and there are a good amount of pubs per square mile, so you'll never run out of new places to try! Some of my favourite places to go are Sin City which has a great student night, Bambu bar which is great for cocktails and karaoke and also The Uplands Tavern which is in an area near the university and really popular with students :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest