The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

York st john accommodation

Has anyone else been given their accommodation offers yet? i haven't found anyone else in my flat yet im at st john central flat 506 :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Lucky you I got Lang house really bad reviews
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
The accommodation office is a joke - don’t consider well being of student just shove them anywhere
Original post by Nonamegiven1
The accommodation office is a joke - don’t consider well being of student just shove them anywhere

Totally agree flea ridden dumps & call them ‘managed housing’ as an 18 year old girl this is not where I’d want to be
Original post by Nonamegiven1

tbh i feel quite lucky getting one of my options, I've seen a couple people who didn't get any of their preferences and got put somewhere random which sucks :/
Why are they putting first years in small houses? Surely you would put them in halls where you have a better opportunity to meet more people?
Definitely disappointing. Managed to change to a partner provider from mine. (none of my choices got Muir) read reviews about grange and it mentioned bedbugs, silver fish and ‘bugs’ in a hallway. Abode is super expensive but would rather have no money than live in a hovel tbh.
Original post by Anonymous
Definitely disappointing. Managed to change to a partner provider from mine. (none of my choices got Muir) read reviews about grange and it mentioned bedbugs, silver fish and ‘bugs’ in a hallway. Abode is super expensive but would rather have no money than live in a hovel tbh.

Can I ask did you go through university to book Abode or did youdo it on their website?
Original post by Mum's life
Can I ask did you go through university to book Abode or did youdo it on their website?

Hi I phoned up the uni and they referred me to Abode. They also had spaces at brickworks but by that time I’d booked Abode. Best to ring rather than e Mail.
Original post by OiFelixCmereBro
Has anyone else been given their accommodation offers yet? i haven't found anyone else in my flat yet im at st john central flat 506 :smile:

Hello
Not sure if this will help but there is a York St John University Freshers Facebook page. Think I may have seen a few people say they are in flat 506

If you search for York St John University Freshers 2022 official you should be able to find it :smile:

Exactly same scenario for my son - offered nothing in uni accommodation, managed housing or nothing & looked vile on the pics - so we’ve booked Abode - very expensive but at least I’ll sleep at night (maybe 😆)
Exactly same scenario for my son - offered nothing in uni accommodation, managed housing or nothing & looked vile on the pics - so we’ve booked Abode - very expensive but at least I’ll sleep at night (maybe 😆)

Definitely. My friend got Lang but changed to Brickworks.
Totally agree flea ridden dumps & call them ‘managed housing’ as an 18 year old girl this is not where I’d want to be

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. If you have had any issues with housing, then please do get in touch with [email protected]. They will be more than happy to follow this up with you.

Unfortunately, we cannot give everyone their first choice of accommodation but I have met many people happy in university managed housing (so much so they have chosen to stay their over multiple years). Despite being a housing option, Freshers are still placed together, make the most of 24/7 campus security and deal with the accommodation team instead of any private landlords.

But please do get in touch via email with accommodation if you'd like to pursue this further!

Lydia :smile:
Original post by Mum's life

Hello,

Unfortunately, Abode is not one of our sites and so is something that needs to be booked separately to us.

If you have issues with the accommodation allotted that you would like to address, please do send them over to [email protected]. They will be more than happy to help you with it.

Unfortunately, every applicant cannot get their first choice of site and I didn’t myself! However, if I had, I would not have met my best friend, so for us it was a blessing in disguise and all part of the experience.

(edited 1 year ago)

Hello,

Thank you for raising your concerns with university managed housing. If you do want to raise this issue with our accommodation team, please do so via email at [email protected].

I have visited a friend in university managed housing myself and found it was great. I think I would have liked the familiarity of a house that is held to the standard of halls. It also meant they could get a permit parking right outside their front door!

However, please do get in touch directly with any issues you have found as we always want to take on feedback and resolve issues.

Nobody I’ve been in touch with got their first choice. It seems you just shove people any where. Not only that but someone told me that all ensuite were allocated writhing three days. It should be clearer that it’s first come.
Not only that but why are toasters and kettles not provided? If you don’t know who the others are in your flat you end up with several of each. I’ve got 3 siblings who went to uni and theirs were provided. Just cost cutting.
I’m really looking forward to my course but the accommodation is pretty bad unless you go in St John central or partner.
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hello,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. If you have had any issues with housing, then please do get in touch with [email protected]. They will be more than happy to follow this up with you.

Unfortunately, we cannot give everyone their first choice of accommodation but I have met many people happy in university managed housing (so much so they have chosen to stay their over multiple years). Despite being a housing option, Freshers are still placed together, make the most of 24/7 campus security and deal with the accommodation team instead of any private landlords.

But please do get in touch via email with accommodation if you'd like to pursue this further!

We did contact the accommodation office and they were unhelpful and to be honest the time of the emails was rude
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hello,

Unfortunately, Abode is not one of our sites and so is something that needs to be booked separately to us.

If you have issues with the accommodation allotted that you would like to address, please do send them over to [email protected]. They will be more than happy to help you with it.

Unfortunately, every applicant cannot get their first choice of site and I didn’t myself! However, if I had, I would not have met my best friend, so for us it was a blessing in disguise and all part of the experience.

Not strictly true - accommodation office set it up for us
We did contact the accommodation office and they were unhelpful and to be honest the time of the emails was rude

Hello,

Our accommodation team is very busy at this time of year but have had a big push given the situation to help every student in the best way possible.

If you would like to discuss the matter further, then please do get in touch with the team directly. Unfortunately, accommodation don't have access to this forum and so can best help you on their email [email protected] or on the phone at 01904 876660.
Not strictly true - accommodation office set it up for us

As we have made our best efforts for students in a difficult position, we have done everything we can to help students find accommodation his year. This is why you may have had additional help with securing a place at a private site like Abode.

Please do get in touch with the university if you want to discuss an issue but I am more than happy to provide any contact information.

Lydia
Nobody I’ve been in touch with got their first choice. It seems you just shove people any where. Not only that but someone told me that all ensuite were allocated writhing three days. It should be clearer that it’s first come.
Not only that but why are toasters and kettles not provided? If you don’t know who the others are in your flat you end up with several of each. I’ve got 3 siblings who went to uni and theirs were provided. Just cost cutting.
I’m really looking forward to my course but the accommodation is pretty bad unless you go in St John central or partner.

If you or any of the people mentioned are unhappy, the accommodation team will be more than happy to discuss it with you on their email [email protected] or on the phone at 01904 876660.

First choice of accommodation has never been guaranteed but we do guarantee accommodation to everyone that meets our deadlines. This is something that not every university guarantees.

Again, I am afraid small appliances often aren't included in halls. Your siblings have been very lucky but unfortunately, it is not the case at every university.
My flat mates and I held off and we all went to the shop together to get them. It was a great first experience together and opportunity to get to know each other and the local area better.

I am so glad to hear you are looking forward to your course as I had the best three years at YSJ, but I do urge you if you have an issue to contact our teams directly. I can try to get you any contact details that you need.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending